Question Of The Day, Friday, February 8

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I have two dishwashers, one an appliance and one a husband. I cook, he does the dishes.
:yeah: Ditto, me too!

Growing up we never had a dishwasher so I'm used to doing dishes but since I do most of the cooking DH washes the larger items and puts the rest in the dishwasher.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a dishwasher, well I do, it's me. I wish I had one though because I don't feel like my dishes are truly clean.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
When we were kids, Mom always wanted a dishwasher. Dad wouldn't buy one. He said, "We have three dishwashers (meaning the three kids) and none of them work!" I always got stuck with the dishes. When it was my sister's turn, she'd get up from the table and spend an hour in the bathroom, so I had to do them.

The first and only thing I really wanted in a kitchen was a dishwasher. You will pry that dishwasher out of my cold, dead hands.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We tend to wash dishes more by hand but occasionally use the dishwasher. My mother always washes the dishes by hand but I prefer to use the dishwasher.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We wash everything except the 'sharps', that is, knives and such, in the dishwasher

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
When we were kids, Mom always wanted a dishwasher. Dad wouldn't buy one. He said, "We have three dishwashers (meaning the three kids) and none of them work!" I always got stuck with the dishes. When it was my sister's turn, she'd get up from the table and spend an hour in the bathroom, so I had to do them.

The first and only thing I really wanted in a kitchen was a dishwasher. You will pry that dishwasher out of my cold, dead hands.
ha!! :flail:

We never had one growing up and I don't have one now but did when I was married. My helper does them but she is out on medical leave and I haven't had anyone for a week. I pace myself but cannot stand a sink full of dirty dishes.
If pain is severe I will place the flatware in a container with Dawn and bleach till I can get to them. I end to use paper plates which I used to hate but I've adapted.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hate washing dishes. When I do it I do it crazy fast and everything around me gets soaking wet....and even though I soak everything beforehand there is always that one plate that has a piece of pasta or something else welded on to it and I'm like seriously???....I hate this ******* plate!....I should just throw it in the trash and show it who is boss....LOL

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When my Mom and Step-dad bought their house we had a dishwasher and sometimes 7 people living there. But we were never allowed to use the dishwasher. Most of the year there were 3-5 people living there; 3 of us being teenagers and we each had 2 days a week that it was our job to wash the dishes and sweep. Two other days it was our job to vacuum and take out the trash, etc. We all got one day a week "off."

My Grandmother has a +30 year old dishwasher in her kitchen but she always loved washing dishes so it rarely ever got used. It's such a relic it fascinates my kids. :lol: We do use it now when we have all the family over. Gram is 100 and the family is just too big these days so my Aunt has us load it up. She's very much like Gram and insists on doing a lot of hand washing herself. (I swear the rest of us aren't lazy. Some people you just don't argue with! :p) And now that we've had this chat here I could really really go for my Aunt's sauce and meatballs. :yummy:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put all dishes, cups, and glasses in the dishwasher, but I hand wash pots and pans and knives and any other utensils I use frequently. It's only me and the cats here, so it takes nearly a week to fill the dishwasher, so I wash those things and tablespoons (to feed the cats) very often.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually wash them by hand because there aren't that many. When the kids were still at home I ran the dishwasher daily.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hate washing dishes by hand, but I hate loading and unloading the DW even more. I don't have that many dishes. It only takes about 5 or 10 minutes and then it is done.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went for several years without a working dishwasher and always did them myself.I splurged and treated myself on black Friday and am so glad I did!It takes about 3 days to load it full,I do wash my pots and pans by hand,mixing bowls,etc.,by hand.I do use the short cycle and so far everything has been spotless,so I'm a happy camper.I don't pay for my water,and I've noticed my electric bill went up less than $4.I'm good with that.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Grandmother has a +30 year old dishwasher in her kitchen but she always loved washing dishes so it rarely ever got used. It's such a relic it fascinates my kids. :lol:
I think my parents still have their broken1960s/1970s top loading full sized portable dishwasher in the basement somewhere, not to mention the broken 1990s front door loading full sized portable dishwasher in the kitchen partially blocking the doorway:rolleyes:

I just prefer to hand wash. It's quick and easy and time to tune out the world and practice mindfulness :agree:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
My parents were the first on our street to get a dishwasher - a Kitchenaid - back in the early 60s, and I can still picture various neighbors sitting in our kitchen drinking coffee and watching it run. :flail:

We have a full size one that's run every day or every other day for 2 adults and one cat. I load it, and most of the time I'm the one who empties it. That's by choice, because hubby ends up rearranging the cabinets when he empties it, and then I can't find things.

The shelter has two. The full-sized one is run anywhere from 3 - 6 times a day. There's an "apartment-sized" one in the quarantine section that's run anywhere from once a day to twice a week, depending on how many animals are back there. It would be the perfect size for a single's household, roughly half the size of a standard one (and just as expensive!).

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Dishwasher mostly
Too lazy
Plus it dries out my hands
Mugs by hand. Dishwasher doesn't get in the cracks like my bottle brush

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid, my sister and I were the permanent supper dish crew. We had a dishwasher. I know thing have changed lots with dishwashers, but in those days, you washed the dishes and then put them in the dishwasher. For some reason. To sterilize them? I have disliked dishwashers ever since. I don't own one now.

islander

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hand wash. I have a dishwasher but I don't dirty enough dishes in a day for a full load. Plus I have a limited number of dishes so I need them clean for use. My dishwasher is used as extra storage space for food storage containers and miscellaneous kitchen stuff.
We think alike! There was a dishwasher in my last two rentals and it got used for storage... electricity is costly here in Ireland

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah the new dishwashers are better than the old ones. There's no reason for prewashing now. And if you use a good detergent that makes a huge difference too. I only used Cascade Platinum pods when mine was working.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i usually wash dishes by hand, though i do have a dishwasher. it can take me 3-4+ days to fill the dishwasher, and i don't like to leave dishes with stuff stuck on them in it -- and not for 3-4+ days. so, i hand wash.

i don't enjoy washing dishes, but i really can't stand seeing dirty dishes in the sink...or waking up to a full sink of them. so i wash them, and think about it as little as possible while doing so.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH hand washes things like his various thermoses and bottles he uses for work. When we got married we agreed that whoever didn't do the cooking would do the washing. So for most of our marriage he's been the one to wash the pots and pans and whatever else doesn't fit in the dishwasher.

But since I stay home with our kids and DD is old enough to unload the dishwasher; I have been washing the pots more often. DD could probably load the dishwasher too; but I'm a little too controlling about that for some reason. She hand washes dishes at my mother's house too. :lol2:

I think what irritates me the most is that I can never seem to do the job without getting the front of my shirt wet. :dunno: I do love the view from my sink window though. I stand there often to watch the birds.