Question Of The Day, Friday, February 8

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: And Happy Friday! :yess:

Let's see: Do you prefer washing dishes by hand or would you rather use a dishwasher?

In our house, the dishwasher rules. If there's no dishwasher, there's very little cooking or baking going on. I hate washing dishes with a passion. There are some things that I'll wash by hand: large roasters; cookie sheets and cake pans, and the like; wooden utensils, really old items that I still use in my baking. But on the whole, if it can't be put in the dishwasher, I don't buy it. Life is too short to spend standing by the sink washing dishes.

Rick and I have a routine. During the week, he'll empty the dishwasher in the morning while I'm hitting the treadmill. On weekends, it's my job. I do it both Saturday and Sunday mornings, plus if I'm baking and do an extra load of dishes, I take care of them.

But when the dishwasher goes on the fritz, all bets are off. I hate washing dishes.

What about you? What's your take on washing dishes?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I avoid washing dishes by hand whenever possible! Virtually everything goes in the dishwasher around here.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to have a dishwasher. As it is, I wash dishes immediately so they don't pile up in the sink.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dishwasher.
Actually I'd rather have a butler/maid but will manage with the dishwasher for now:flail:
When we moved in together, I told my fiancé the dishes were completely his responsibility. I'll empty the dishwasher, but that's about the extent of it and I'm happy that way. I've always hated doing dishes.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When we moved in together, I told my fiancé the dishes were completely his responsibility. I'll empty the dishwasher, but that's about the extent of it and I'm happy that way. I've always hated doing dishes.
I'd rather clean the toilets than do dishes lol. My husband, pretty much is retired at this point and I work full time so he's the one who does the dishes/loads the dishwasher, etc. I do it maybe once a week. I love this arrangement!

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I have never used a dishwasher. Do they do as good as a hand wash?
:ruminating: I may be missing out on another modern convenience ..

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hand wash. I have a dishwasher but I don't dirty enough dishes in a day for a full load. Plus I have a limited number of dishes so I need them clean for use. My dishwasher is used as extra storage space for food storage containers and miscellaneous kitchen stuff.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
By hand. I dont have a dishwasher but dont have many dirty dishes either. A dishwasher would be a waste for me.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I wash larger items by hand but everything else goes in the dishwasher. It's a shared chore in our house--whichever of us has the time/energy/inclination to load or unload does it. :)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dishwasher!! Even with gloves hand washing dishes has always been one of my least favorite chores. I've been doing some things by hand; but 90% goes in the dishwasher!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I much prefer the dishwasher. But mine is broken and I haven't gotten a new one yet :/. So the dishes pile up and I try to tackle them but I feel like I never catch up. Plus my water usage went up; turns out dishwashers actually use less water than handwashing. And they can rinse in extra hot water that I can't do by hand.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I have two dishwashers, one an appliance and one a husband. I cook, he does the dishes. I do load the dishwasher (the appliance) because if he did it, we’d get only about five dishes in there. He’s not very strategic about placement! :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wash by hand. A dishwasher uses too much water.
They don't, actually. They only use 4-6 gallons per load. Depending on how you do dishes by hand, that's usually less than it takes to handwash.

Kitchen faucets usually have a flow rate of around 2 gallons per minute, so even running it for 2-3 minutes will use more than the dishwasher.