Question about feral cats abandoning their kittens..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It said Lucy weight 9.7 and Hercules weighed 10.7. I guess as long as their bathroom functions are going they're okay?

Herc made more hard poops this morning. And he's back to peeing regularly. I think he's working through all that compacted stuff. I didn't have to work on his little body too hard to make him go either. Just started to go after I tried to make him pee. So he's getting better. And no more gas!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that he's getting all the hard stuff out. He'll be pooping softer poops soon. And peeing better too now. They shouldn't have gas on this formula.

Aren't they 3 weeks old now?

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The "official" date will be tomorrow but I believe they hit three weeks yesterday or today. They're playing and walking around very shakily -- but way more steady than when we first found them.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does your scale weigh in grams too, by any chance? It can be a bit easier to track that way.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
C commanderscott

Well, 3-week old kittens should weigh about 12 ounces, so yours are still behind. In another week, at 4 weeks, the goal weight is 16 ounces. Then, they need to gain one pound a month every month thereafter until they are 6 months old at least.

So they will need lots and lots of formula. Make sure you do not run out of powder!

Last edited:

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We will definitely stock up on powder. They LOVE this stuff. How much should I be feeding them every day? I read 80 ounces per day at 3 weeks but they still eat 90/day. And I'm conservative with how much Herc eats because I don't want to compact his bowels again while he's working through all this. Is 15 mL six times a day still good to do while Herc recovers?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't restrict what Herc is eating. He needs to keep eating to keep popping and keep everything moving. He also needs as much nutrition as possible to grow.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The rule of thumb is 8mLs for every ounce of body weight, but this is a minimum to grow on. So you are feeding enough, but if they are hungry and having growth spurts, they can eat more. And I always round up.

It's hard to overfeed a growing kitten! I see appetite as a good thing in kittens! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay. I won't restrict him then. I'll just go extra slow with him to make sure he's not full and still eating. I just don't want their little tummies to burst. Natural fear I guess since they're so tiny. XD

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I see a kitten who is going to be gorgeous! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They're both going to be super gorgeous. Herc is going to be huge. He's already enormous and fuzzy.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes! He's so darn cute right now! Males tend to get very big sometimes. Mine are huge now - 15-pounders!

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do kittens normally nurse on lips? Hercules keeps nursing on my lower lip and it's so cute I don't have the heart to stop him.

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

It's his favorite thing. And I don't know what to make of it. Every time I pull him away he climbs right back up and starts again.

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And no matter how careful I am with Lucille, she keeps aspirating her formula. I don't know what to do anymore to make this easier for her. It doesn't matter how slowly we go or how often I wipe her mouth. I know if she keeps doing it she will die. I'm really worried. This is the worst feeding so far. She didn't just sneeze -- she choked.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear!

What is happening that she is choking? How are you feeding her?

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm feeding her the same way I feed her brother -- belly down, head forward. I let her suck the fluid from the syringe at her own pace. I've tried filling it up to 2.5 mL at a time and letting her have a go at that to give her enough time to eat properly but she ends up sneezing anyway.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't know what to tell you. I thought once you slowed her down she was doing better. Just be careful!

You can give them a soft cloth with the corner soaked in formula to suckle on. Some kittens love this!

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She was for a bit. I don't know what's wrong.

I'll try that. I've heard clean makeup sponges work well too.