Question about feral cats abandoning their kittens..

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Terrific! This will make life easier and safer for all of you! No more choking, hopefully.

Did you get Hercules sucking on something yet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not yet. I can't find a suitable shirt.

While trying to get Herc to poop, he regurgitated his formula. No gagging or retching. It just came right out. He's not showing any signs of distress. Is it possible his tummy is upset because of the constipation? He also did eat his food a bit fast this time around. Could that be a reason too? Should I wait a bit longer between food and stimulation?

EDIT :: It's because I tried to make him poop too soon. Rubbing his belly was a bad idea after the ate that much that fast. With the syringe he had time to wait while I refilled it. If it happens again after I try waiting I'm taking him to the vet. But right now he's purring his butt off and sleeping soundly.

In other news, both kitties are eliminating on their own! Herc keeps peeing on me an Lucille is wetting her bedding. I've got them both on a low dose of olive oil per feeding (one drop each) to help them poo more often. And Lucille isn't having any more problems eating.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He doesn't need a vet. Just stimulate him before feeding, then wait awhile after he finishes. Did you feed him again since he regurgitated that feeding?

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm waiting a bit before I feed him again. But I intend to so that he doesn't lose out on the hydration and nutrients. I just don't want to upset his tummy so soon after that. And thanks! I'll move it to before feeding times. He did get a bit more of the hard stool out and I think it's almost passed.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Do you have a soft kitchen towel? That will do for a sucking rag. Just not terry cloth.

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do have that but he wasn't interested. Do you think the nipple to an empty bottle would work? He loves that thing.

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Herc is spotting poo again but now it's runny and yellow in color. Like mustard. Is this because he's cleared up his constipation and his tummy is still working through it? He's going entirely on his own and me trying to help him doesn't do anything to make it go quicker.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
C commanderscott

Don't give him a nipple to chew on. He'll have teeth soon, and when he does he will bite off the tip and swallow it.

Stop putting oil in his bottle. Is Lucy's poop yellow too?

Last edited:

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No nipple then. Thanks!

Lucy's stool is a little hard but it isn't colored like mustard. It looks like normal kitty poo. Herc's looks just like spicy mustard. It's not gushing out or anything. It's just kind of coming out slowly if that makes sense? I'll wipe it away and more will pool on his bottom. He seems fine though. Normal appetite. Always purring. That sort of thing.

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's not leaking anymore. I'm looking in his crate to find any soiled bedding (put him in there while I took my medicine) and there's poo on the walls but none in the bedding. And his bottom looks clear. I think he's working out his bowels but I can't be certain.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have to keep in mind that a kitten's teeth, especially when they first come in are like little pins or needles, not like a baby's teeth, more rounded than pointy.  Does that make sense?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
C commanderscott

I would stop the oil now.

He probably needs the same antibiotic that Lucy is on. Bright yellow diarrhea is a sign of a bacterial infection in the digestive tract.

Call the vet and see if they will let you pick some up for him today.

Last edited:

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Their teeth are a bit pointy, but they're only barely coming in.

I've stopped the olive oil, yes. Haven't given it to him since his last feeding. I went ahead and made an appointment with the vet as well. The constipation then leaky stool is worrying me. It will give me a chance to get a stool test done and make sure nothing extremely serious is going on. If someone thinks there may be a bacterial infection I not only want to get him medicine but get him checked out as well. Unfortunately I have no way to get to the vet tonight to pick up any medication, anyway. The appointment was made for tomorrow morning.

Thankfully the stool has stopped leaking and he's sleeping soundly. I'm about to feed them again and then take a shower. If he has any further problems our vet is open for emergencies until 9 PM so I will keep you all updated.

Lucy, on the other hand, is doing fantastically and has not only gained weight but is looking a bit bigger after the formula change. She's also a bit more active.

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His stool is back to hard and compact. The vet couldn't find any parasites or bacteria but she sent us home with medicine just in case. We're also not hearing fluid in Lucy's lungs anymore.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm glad Lucy's lungs sound good.

Is Hercules' stool no longer bright yellow? What meds did you get?

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His stool is weird. It was runny then went back to compact. And no. It's not bright yellow anymore. We got albon suspension to be used for 10 days.

Last edited:

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Will do! They're both fine right now. Officially pooping AND peeing on their own.