Question about feral cats abandoning their kittens..

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
C commanderscott

All that you wrote just means that they are simply not ready to wean to solids yet. I suggest you wait a week, then try again.

Same with Lucy and the litter box. She's not quite ready.

You'll have to struggle through this phase. It happens all the time though. It's not just your kittens.

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As I read your description of them biting on the nipple, I pictured smearing kitten food all over the nipple, then replacing the nipple with something soft (strong enough not to shred), maybe a Popsicle stick? Popsicle stick isn't soft, but the flat surface would hold food better. Just tossing out ideas as they pop into my head.

Is Lucy paying attention when Hercules uses the litter box?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As long as they're not using the bottle still when they're two years old, I'm willing to wait for as long as it takes. Thanks!

And actually, smearing kitten food then putting it on the bottle for them to take it off worked the best -- but it confused them. Instead of them eating the food, they tried to suck it off the plate. I think once they get the hang of not trying to suck the food away, I'll try the popsicle stick method. Or perhaps the handle of a spoon.

Lucy is ALWAYS paying attention to her brother; she adores him so much. It's adorable. I'm sure she'll learn soon enough. I'm just wondering if they're lagging behind on the developmental side of things.

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

As long as they're not using the bottle still when they're two years old, I'm willing to wait for as long as it takes. Thanks!

And actually, smearing kitten food then putting it on the bottle for them to take it off worked the best -- but it confused them. Instead of them eating the food, they tried to suck it off the plate. I think once they get the hang of not trying to suck the food away, I'll try the popsicle stick method. Or perhaps the handle of a spoon.

Lucy is ALWAYS paying attention to her brother; she adores him so much. It's adorable. I'm sure she'll learn soon enough. I'm just wondering if they're lagging behind on the developmental side of things.
They're not lagging; they're just too young for these milestones.  Many kittens start eating and using the litterbox around 5 or 6 weeks old.  4 weeks is early for many kittens.

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay. I'm relieved that they're not lagging then. Every website says that when they're biting the bottle, wean them. Thanks for easing my concerns on the matter. They're both healthy now -- eating tons, regular bathroom habits and the like. No more aspiration at ALL. So now all I'm worried about is the milestones. It's been years since I had to last care for a kitten and even then they still had Momma to help them out. Shepard came already weaned and litter trained.

Also, I spoke too soon. Lucille just used the litter box.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, not lagging at all. As I said, this is common. There is an expectation that kittens wean at 4 weeks. In reality, it's usually too young. They'll get there when they are ready!

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's such a relief. Thank you! I'll just kee offering them wet food every couple of days to see if they change their minds.

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today's been the worst day. Lucille and Hercules haven't eaten enough. And it's not because they don't have an appetite. It's because they won't eat anything but their formula, and they've forgotten how to operate a bottle. Instead of sucking, they just headbutt it and get frustrated with no formula comes out. Hercules only takes 15 mL of formula every feeding before he calls it quits. Lucille's meals vary depending on how determined she feels. Attempts to feed Hercules more are met with him turning his head away and rejecting EVERYTHING. Bottle, syringe, it doesn't matter. I feed them about five times a day and his belly feels empty. It's frustrating because I know he's hungry. I just can't make him eat anymore. He's very clearly ready to wean, he just won't. He sniffs kitten food like he's interested. He refuses to lick it off his lips whenever I smear it on and fights me when I try. Any attempt to get him to lap up his formula is met with resistance. I've dipped my finger into the formula for him to lick it off, and he just turns his head away. So this results in him eating MUCH less than he's supposed to. About 75 mL/day at four weeks. I'm at a loss. It's frustrating when a very hungry kitten simply won't eat. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has there been any sign of momma?

All this reminded me of when a cat gave birth in the underside of the mobile home we lived in at the time. This one wasn't feral, just before I became a fanatic about everybody getting spay/neutered. I found those babies all curled up, snuggled down in the fiberglass and all I could think about was them breathing in the tiny fragments of fiberglass. Momma was fine with me moving them. After a tornado demolished a friend's house, she was told to toss all clothing because they would have fiberglass bits in the fabric and wouldn't be safe to wear. I think your dog did a good thing, by accident. :)

Those babies have fabulous lives ahead of them, with a human mommy that will worry and fuss and make sure they have the absolute best of everything!

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No sign of Momma, sadly. We've still been keeping an eye out for her but I think the experience scared her away. The dog loves the kittens. Silly thing. And good on you for moving those kitties! Underside of mobile homes is a very dangerous spot for newborn animals. Where did you move them to?

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That was over 30 years ago, my best memory is of the scary parts! Most likely relocated them all to the hay room in the barn. 

Gosh, I miss babies! I sure don't miss worrying about their futures though. I've gotten really cynical about people, it's places like this that let me keep the faith that there are good people left!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try to relax. Just give them what they will eat, or use the syringe, and continue with offering wet food. Also, leave kitten chow down for them to explore.

I guarantee they will not starve themselves, and will either begin weaning, or will drink more formula very soon!

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean. Everyone in this forum is WONDERFUL. Respectful, kind, helpful, and willing to deal with my frantic questions when I'm a loss. Everyone in this thread has been an absolute joy. This entire forum is filled with wonderful people. Totally restores my faith in humanity -- though I'll admit, I do still prefer animals. :)

And thanks. I eventually stopped trying to get Hercules to use the bottle last night, went to bed, and woke up. Lucille ate her normal amount of about 22 mL before she got full. Hercules ate around 32 mL. They're both VERY interested in dry kitten food mixed with water, but they still won't eat it. They're sniffing at it, though. I keep a fresh batch on my bed when they're with me during the day, and in their crate at night when we're all sleeping. Their teeth are also coming in very fast, so I'm sure it won't be long before they try to chew on something except me and each other to help the teething process.

Both have also developed decent bathroom habits since they've started using the litter box. They crawl into it on their own now and are pooping and peeing regularly. So I guess as long as they're going, they're doing fairly well. Just can't wait for them to grow up so that we can Lucille can cuddle with me all night and Hercules and Shepard can play all the time. Guess it won't be long now before they're big.

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Just can't wait for them to grow up..." noooooo   do not say that!!

They will grow up so fast you won't know what hit you! Take tons of pics and videos, cherish every moment.

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
But they're so tiny they can't even sleep in my bed. I want 24 hour cuddles! Only big kitties can get 24 hour cuddles without risking being rolled over on!

Once everyone leaves and the dogs are all put in their rooms, I'm going to let the kitties walk around a bit. Under VERY strict supervision. But at least they can get acclimated to the livingroom a bit today.

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's not even interested in the bottle anymore. I offered it to him and nothing. But he ate a lot of soft food with formula so I'm hoping that's enough for now. Cannot WAIT. Food is so much cheaper than formula.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It should be enough, as long as you are feeding him frequent meals. He can lap formula from a dish now!

Last edited:

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it acceptable to leave a plate of wet food out overnight for them? I had dry food soaked in water before but he seems to like this more.