Question about feral cats abandoning their kittens..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our vet doesn't carry that particular wormer. I'm going to have to see if I can find it online. I don't want them to get sick from worms.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Odd to me that your vet does not carry what is a standard wormer in cats and kittens for hook worms and round worms.

Regardless, I sent you a link by PM to purchase the liquid online.

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! I've been so stressed out about this. Just placed my order and did 2 day shipping.

Herc also had a BM just now. Not a really big one but it had form to it. Good color and good form. Also, these little guys will be three weeks officially on Thursday.

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They sure are! I'm cutting them off at 15 mL and feed them 6 times a day still. Other than the constipation (which I think this formula is fixing), worms (which will be fixed soon), and aspiration (which we have medicine for to keep from becoming pneumonia) they aren't having any problems. The vet marveled at how adorable and lively they were and cooed over Herc and his "fuzzy fur."

So those three problems aside -- which can be remedied since we caught them so early on -- they're doing perfectly. I'm so in love with them and hope this continues.

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know it's unlikely, but what are the odds that Hercules is starting to go to the bathroom without stimulation? I just found poop in their carrier and his bottom had some too. Sometimes the bedding smells like urine, too. Is it possible?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh yes, it happens as they get older. If they need to go and can, they will! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At this age? If so that would explain why he's been peeing less and I haven't been seeing much poop. I'm not finding it on his bedding -- except for earlier today -- but maybe he's holding it on because the stimulation is freaking him out. I really hope he's able to do it now though! I'll keep stimulating just in case. Thanks!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Definitely keep stimulating. You can add a drop of oil to his feedings if you feel he's constipated.

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Will do!

Lucille is starting to play. Grabbing my finger with her paws and pulling it to her mouth. Tapping on bedding. That sort of thing. Super cute since they're still sleepy babies and she's so gentle with it.

EDIT Oh my. I just opened up their kennel to put the rice sock in there for heat and I caught Lucy and Herc playing. I haven't seen them do it before. It's so cute.

Last edited:

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hercules's belly is getting a bit tight and now I'm worried. He's still eating the same amount, and very eagerly. But he won't pee or poop when stimulated. The bedding isn't wet. I keep rubbing his belly in hopes it will ease anything going on in there but I'm thinking I have to take him to the vet again tomorrow. Suggestions on what I can do before then?

He's sleeping because he enjoys the belly rubs. No sign of pain when I gently press down. Here's a picture for reference:

Last edited:

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No wonder he hasn't gone to the bathroom. Rubbing his belly and trying to stimulate his bladder again worked wonders. He pooped -- but it was so hard! It threw me for a total loop because all of his BMs up to this point have been of a decent consistency. He still hasn't peed but with poo pressing against his bladder j can't blame him.

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He FINALLY peed. After rubbing his belly for another 30 minutes, he crawled up my shirt and fell asleep. I picked him up so I could take him to the bathroom to try to make him pee again since I'd given him some extra water, and when I moved my shirt felt cold. Big, BIG puddle (no color, but a very faint, mild odor) on my shirt where his bottom had been. His belly has gotten a bit softer too. And I didn't feel any gas bubbles during the second belly rub.

So I'm out of the danger zone with him for now. I'm going to put him on a very strict diet -- two drops of olive oil every feeding, with 1 mL of water immediately after. Followed by a nice belly rub. That hard BM he had is just unacceptable. I'll start doing the belly rubs for Lucille too.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like the worst is over. Poor little guy, he didn't want to miss his milk, but he must have been really bloated and uncomfortable.

Adding the oil will keep the poops soft, and he should begin peeing regularly too.

He's so cute in that picture!

How much do they weigh today?

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If my scale is right, both kittens gained 1.7 ounces since yesterday. I don't think my scale is right.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Why do you think your scale is wrong?

Have you zeroed it out, and are you using it on a flat surface? Try weighing something that has the weight posted to see if it matches.

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I zeroed it out and put it on my floor. I'll weigh something else though and see if it's right.

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I put a 16 oz water bottle on it and it showed up as 1 lb 2 oz, which sounds about right. What concerns me is how they gained that much weight, that fast.

I guess you did warn me that the new formula would do that. Should I cut them off a bit more?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No! Do not cut them back at all!

What do they each weigh?

They are growing and need more all the time. It's healthy for them to gain.