Question about feral cats abandoning their kittens..

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm glad you have Lucy's feeding under control.

Post their weights again today, and let us know how the vet visit goes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Will do! The appointment is for tomorrow at 10:20 AM. They had no openings today sadly.

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are they supposed to have stinky farts? I keep trying to make them poop but they only farted today and last night. And while it's funny and kind of cute, MAN is it smelly.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hmm. I wonder why they are so gassy.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are they supposed to have stinky farts? I keep trying to make them poop but they only farted today and last night. And while it's funny and kind of cute, MAN is it smelly.
Some farts is surely natural, but if you have it noticeable its more than the usual  - and the most probable reason is what we already suspect - worms.

But for all round problems with gases and kolik, simeticone - the same as for human babies, works nicely. Two drops perhaps in the bottle, or one drop per syringe.

This wont help against the worms as such, but it will decrease the risk they get pains because of the gases...

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They get gassy after almost every other meal. I burp them and everything. I'm wondering if it's the new formula too. Regardless I will talk to the vet about worms.

I'm about to feed and weigh them again. And again, Herc isn't having a BM so I'm back to the olive oil.

And thank you! I need all the help and luck I can get lol. They're so young. I'm so worried anything will go wrong.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, Mylicon (infant simethicone) is fine to use. The fact both are gassy tells me something is "off" internally.

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Before feeding
Hercules - 8.1 ounces (0.3increase)
Lucille - 7.6 ounces (0.5 increase)

Herc is increasing at the same rate and it appears that Lucy is gaining more.

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it's only Herc that is gassy. I smell it from him. I'm gonna try to get him to poop. I think that's the issue. Lucille is popping regularly and she doesn't smell like that.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They get gassy after almost every other meal. I burp them and everything. I'm wondering if it's the new formula too. Regardless I will talk to the vet about worms.

I'm about to feed and weigh them again. And again, Herc isn't having a BM so I'm back to the olive oil.

And thank you! I need all the help and luck I can get lol. They're so young. I'm so worried anything will go wrong.
New formula?  What do you use now?

Re olive oil.  Earlier you used 1 drop - its rather conservative, you can try and increase some, say to two, but never more than 3 drops.   - bottle equivalent.

And when he begins to produce, you go back to 1, dont wait till it becomes runny.

Yeah, constipation is no fun to have.

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went ahead and did three drops this time. I went from liquid KMR to liquid PetAg. They love it but I'm about ready to switch back.

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We had to change it around because the store was out of KMR and we were out of formula. That's what I was told at least. I had my mother buy it because I can't go out and leave these two alone. Is it best that I stick with the current formula instead of switching it back?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had to change it around because the store was out of KMR and we were out of formula. That's what I was told at least. I had my mother buy it because I can't go out and leave these two alone. Is it best that I stick with the current formula instead of switching it back?
I would not change the formula around if I were you. You might consider switching to the powdered version of PetAg though, since you're having GI issues.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
C commanderscott

Powdered is best for their digestive tracts. Now I know why they are gassy. It's the change in formula, plus it's premixed, plus the oil.

Walmart sells powdered PetAg in the can for about $10. Switch and they will be fine and probably gain more weight.

Last edited:

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll have my mother grab some tonight on her way home from work. I know we have powdered formula somewhere but they HATE it. I also don't think it's PetAg.