problem with wilbur

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no actually i got tinker scheduled tomorrow with a different vet. he's doing it for $15.00

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
JT - how much clavamox do you need? What dose/duration of treatment for Wilbur did he/she prescribe?

Not doing a full course may just suppress the infection, not clear it up and it can come back. Likely it will come back.

It can be gotten online, but you need the right dose/amount, etc.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

Man what a difference vets make.

I took wilbur in today. He has a urinary tract infection.

His white blood cell was +2, and he has a 1 degree elevated temp. His temp is 103.5

So i got some clavamox. but could only afford to get enough to last to Friday. Hopefully that will get him better.
I'm kind of surprised that they would let you leave with less than necessary.
for Wilbur & Tinker. You've all had a heck of a year already

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well i only had 8 dollars and that's all i could pay for so that's what I got

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

JT - how much clavamox do you need? What dose/duration of treatment for Wilbur did he/she prescribe?

Not doing a full course may just suppress the infection, not clear it up and it can come back. Likely it will come back.

It can be gotten online, but you need the right dose/amount, etc.
the dosage is 62.5 mg twice a day.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Man what a difference vets make.

I took wilbur in today. He has a urinary tract infection.

His white blood cell was +2, and he has a 1 degree elevated temp. His temp is 103.5

So i got some clavamox. but could only afford to get enough to last to Friday. Hopefully that will get him better.
I'm glad you got a second opinion. It's amazing how different vet's can be... different recommendations, different procedures, etc.

for Wilbur and you too...enough is enough already
I hope your streak of bad stuff is DONE.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You may/may not know this - stating it anyways.

Neutered males are at a higher risk for blocking up due to a UTI, which can kill them rapidly.

It *might* take 3 weeks or more of anti-biotics to clear up the UTI. Only giving him until next Fri will probably just serve to make him more resistant to anti-biotics....I can't think of any way for you to get more Clavamox, though.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aww JT it's like you can't catch a break! Seriously!!!

I hope Wilbur starts feeling better.

I do agree with the others in thinking he probably needs to be on the antibiotics past Friday. How long does the vet recommend for the Clavamox?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
JT, I missed this thread while I was working over the weekend. Just now getting caught up. I'm so sorry to hear Wilbur's been having more problems.

Yes, it is possible for him to get Tinker pregnant again. However, she can still be spayed as long as the pregnancy is very early. She should be fine since you're getting it done soon.

for you and your kitties.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

You may/may not know this - stating it anyways.

Neutered males are at a higher risk for blocking up due to a UTI, which can kill them rapidly.

It *might* take 3 weeks or more of anti-biotics to clear up the UTI. Only giving him until next Fri will probably just serve to make him more resistant to anti-biotics....I can't think of any way for you to get more Clavamox, though.
She said he needs to be on them for 2 weeks. But I mean, I dind't know what else to do. I figured I'd get him started and find a way to get more later. That's all the money I had left so i couldn't get more.

I'm lucky we got that info. I couldn't afford the urine test, and she said "he sprayed a little urine while in the back and we got enough to test" which I know is not true, they were just being nice.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope that's doctor fletcher.

I'll say this though, that lady earned my business for the time I'm in hot springs. not that I have any money, but to be that kind and play it off like she didn't do anything....wow.

reminds me of the nice people here.

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You definitely need to get that kitty on at least 2 weeks of antibiotics. He can become resistant to the antibiotics if he doesn't take the full course. I can send you $50 if that will help any. Let me know.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second everything everyone here has said about needing the Clavamox. Yes, it's good that you started it. Under the circumstances, I would give this vet your business. I was thinking --get a prescription from her and buy online... but given how you said she handled it, hey, let her have her markup on the pills. I"m surprised she didn't tell you that about the full course being critically important for anti-bios.

LovesMyCats offered you cash. Take it. I will kick in a little bit, too. Take $$$ from anyone who is willing to give it to you for your babies.

Here's how I see it. As an adult, you make decisions for yourself and live with the outcomes, good or bad. but the kitties are your dependents and "depend" on you to make the best decisions FOR their well-being. It is in Wilbur's VERY best interests to take a full course of ABs for his infection.

It's best that the line of dosing be unbroken... no skipped doses. So the first dose that would be 'missed' is Saturday morning. So you need the remainder of pills in hand by then for optimal results!

The only issue I see here is if Wilbur has a reaction to the drugs, which could happen ... and he will likely get the poops. A little canned pumpkin in his wet food will help with that -- about a level tablespoon. You can get canned, cooked UNSEASONED pumpkin at Walmart's grocery or any grocery store. (NOT pumpkin pie mix).

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Nope that's doctor fletcher.

I'll say this though, that lady earned my business for the time I'm in hot springs. not that I have any money, but to be that kind and play it off like she didn't do anything....wow.

reminds me of the nice people here.
Is she single? Maybe she saw the wonderful man we all know you are and wanted to make sure she see's you again

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by psjauntie

Is she single? Maybe she saw the wonderful man we all know you are and wanted to make sure she see's you again
lol Woohoo! We could have a romance brewing. But seriously, take my money. Its not much, but you have to take care of your baby. Like AddieBee said, the cats are your dependents and you have to take care of them. There are people here who are willing to help and you should take it. We all go through rough times so I hope you will let us help you so you can help your kitties.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
How is Wilbur doing? Did you get Tinker spayed, for real this time?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I just use plain ordinary Vaseline Petroleum Jelly. It's cheap and it's nontoxic.

It's found in a large number of lip balms, and it's used as a lip moisturize in hospitals, which wouldn't be the case if it was not safe to consume.
My vet recommends Vaseline, too
She also tells me to use Neosporin as a topical antibiotic - most other human first aid creams are toxic to cats.
I know that many urban vets probably would be shocked, but these country vets work with a clientele whose funding options tend to be very limited, and the availability of products and services are very limited

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

How is Wilbur doing? Did you get Tinker spayed, for real this time?
i was wrong on the dates with Tinker's spay but it's tomorrow. She's been in heat for a few days too and she is misereable. She's also making Wilbur and me miserable as I'm sure you could understand. locked in a single bedroom with a cat in heat
She'll be ok though.

Wilbur is doing GREAT. We got his meds and he's such a good cat the way he lets me give the pills to him. He's got about a week to go on the antibiotics but he's happy again.