Probably more serious than what I thought...

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahh poor Mittens, I hope you can come home soon and be with your mommy. I'm sending many good vibes that Mittens continues to get better real soon Candie!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My baby is home! We got home a few days earlier than expected, so I decided to pick him up--he still has stitches, and will get those removed on Thursday or Friday. I just took some pictures of him--and would like to show you. He's also lost a lot of weight...so be prepared. But, he is so much better!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad your home Mittens... ahh and the ecollar makes you look very regal

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww look it him! he looks like he feels much better! and he has lost a lot of weight. I can't wait to have him on the scale. I hate that he had such a horrible problem but he seems to be back on track!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mittens...you are a regal little king in your collar sweetie pie.

I am so glad that you are home where you belong.

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mittens got his stitches out this morning. He's been bathing ever since! He finally gets to use his litterbox--which we are both happy about! He looks normal and fat now
We are only concerned about the infection now. He has to take another 3 weeks of antibiotics. He is still bleeding after urinating. If the antibiotics don't clear this up, we will have to be put strictly on W/D, I'm afraid. We won't to avoid that if possible because it is high in calories.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by caprice

Mittens got his stitches out this morning. He's been bathing ever since! He finally gets to use his litterbox--which we are both happy about! He looks normal and fat now
We are only concerned about the infection now. He has to take another 3 weeks of antibiotics. He is still bleeding after urinating. If the antibiotics don't clear this up, we will have to be put strictly on W/D, I'm afraid. We won't to avoid that if possible because it is high in calories.
Glad he is happier... now for a dumb question.. W/D is high in calories?? I thought it was a wt mgmt with R/D??

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Glad he is happier... now for a dumb question.. W/D is high in calories?? I thought it was a wt mgmt with R/D??
I was confused with everything they were giving him. I actually switched him over today from IVD Hi-Factor to Hill's W/D. According to their website, "Prescription W/D
For weight management in overweight cats, or less active, or prone to obesity. Also used for Diabetes Mellitus (with no other health problems), and FLUTD on obese-prone cats (struvite crystals)"

This seems to be the perfect solution to our problem. Another good thing is that the Hill's is a little cheaper than the IVD!
He seems to enjoy it too. I am also going to mix the wet and dry food together starting next week.

He seems to be feeling better somewhat...it's just a little hard to tell because he is lying around a lot. I guess this is because he is recovering from everything. I am continuing to make sure he is atleast goes to the bathroom atleast 2-3 times a day to make sure the new urethra doesn't shut completely. He is also on another month's worth of antibiotics. Poor little man has been through the ringer...and so has his meowmy
I always try to look on the positive side of every outcome...and I have noticed his demeanor is so much sweeter
He likes to come up to me and lay on my legs...he doesn't bite me anymore when I want to pet him all the time

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Candie...My kitties never feel well when they are on antibiotics.
Mittens...you are such a brave boy.

My thoughts & prayers are with you both.

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mittens is doing better. The bleeding is a lot less, but there is some still. I dropped him off at the vet so they could get another urine sample to change his antibiotics, but apparently...he is really stubborn, so I have to take him back again in the morning so they can try and get a sample. Hopefully, there is an actual improvement. The vet is a little concerned though because he is still peeing outside the box, and he actually told me that I may have to retrain him. I have never even trained a cat to use the litterbox before, so this should be interesting. How do you do it anyway?

His attitude is a lot better in some ways. He is a lot sweeter, and really calm at times. I had a few friends over last night for movie night, and he sat with me on the blanket for nearly three hours. He's never done that before...it was really sweet

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

Just to say I am following the thread and sending vibes for a continued improvement for Mittens.
Me too
Anne