Pregnant momma questions...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Re-watch the syringe feeding video and keep trying. Most kittens get used to the syringe after a few tries once they realize it has milk. This kitten really needs to begin gaining. Do you know anyone who has experience who can help you?

And yes, the kitten stays with mom after you supplement.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Argolupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No i dont and there is no emergency vet close, no rescues close. My vet called me today to check in but i couldnt get there before he closed today and he wont be back until monday. He told me to keep an eye on it and if still not gaining monday to let them know and bring baby in

Argolupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok update from the night: i have found that the long narrow bottle top that comes in the bottlefeeding kits fits on the 1cc syringe. The baby is active and vocal. I can get about 1 cc in before the kitten starts acting like its done. I am actively seeing it suckle not sure if anything is going in or not when suckling but as i stayed near the kittens all night i fed everytime i heard the kittens moving with the max time between feedings being 2 hours. I let baby nurse then when it was done i would offer it food. One time when it was the only kitten up suckling when it was done i could only get it to take 1/2 cc. Mom is grooming baby as soon as i put it back. I will weigh in a couple of hours at the next feeding.

Argolupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok just fed baby and it lost another gram. But this time i did get it to take 2 cc...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! Any amount is better than none, but losing weight will lead to dehydration and eventually death.

Make sure the hole in the nipple is big enough to easily drip out milk, but not huge so that it pours out.

Wrap the kitten in a towel so that only its head is out. Then gently hold the kitten’s neck with your fingers so that it is still. Then feed.

This is a matter of survival, so it’s not up to the kitten to act a certain way and control the feedings. It’s up to you to control the kitten so that it gets enough milk to gain weight. Even 2mLs at a time every hour or two would get at least 24mLs into it over 12 hours in a 24-hour period, which is really what it needs.

Are you off today and able to feed through the day?

Argolupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes i am off today and am staying home to feed baby...

Argolupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am hoping we have taken a turn for the better. I have been getting baby to eat right about 2 cc most the day. My boyfriend just got a 5 cc syringe from walmart and i tried that (i only had a 1 cc or a 10 cc). Baby latched on the end and sucked down 3 cc of formula and not 5 min. After i put her back was nursing from mom. Im going to show my boyfriend what worked with her since he said he will take care of her while im at work. (I keep flipping between him and her. Not sure at this point as the vet said it was too early to tell). I will update my vet in am just to make sure they dont want to see her. Hope

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is awesome! She/he is finally eating! Any weight gain yet?

I think it’s an excellent idea for your boyfriend to care for the kitten while you work your long shifts. He will be at your place so kitten can be with mom between feedings, right?

Keep us posted!

Argolupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes we live together so snickers(momma) is comfortable with him though she prefers me more. It was actually his idea to bring momma into our home so i told him he can help out with stuff with all the cats.

We are at 76 grams!!!!!!!! She just ate 2.5 more ml.
16230243143686393781107915334148.jpg

Theres the little fighter. I think we are calling it wonka after willy wonka. The other 2 are butterfinger and twix.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That’s wonderful news! Thank goodness! :catlove:

Feed through the night too - very important right now.

Argolupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok i accidently missed one meal last night. I fell asleep in my recliner and didnt hear my alarm but i woke up just in time for the dose after that... That being said baby ate 3 cc all night and just ate a ful 5 cc syringe. She also weighed 87 grams. Fingers crossed she keeps in this direction. The youngest one is gaining over 1/2 ounce per day and is already over 5 ounced sgould i be concerned with too fast of a weight gain?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, there’s no too fast weight gain, especially if he’s just nursing mom. He’s a little piggy and good for him!

I’m pleased the runt is gaining so well! Poor little thing was starving before. Once he/she gets bigger and stronger she’ll probably get everything from mom — but not till she hits her marks.

Nice job!

Argolupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok what marks are those exactly?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
From my post #14 on this thread:

“The kittens should weigh about 4 ounces at one week, 8 ounces at 2 weeks, 12 ounces at 3 weeks, and 16 ounces (1 pound) at 4 weeks, then continue to gain about a pound a month for the first 6 months or so.“

So her first mark would be getting to 4 ounces, which she may or may not hit by one week. We’ll see how quickly she begins catching up!

Argolupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok... Brain isnt wanting to compute things right now, lol

Argolupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok so baby 1 was 3.55 oz this morning. (Born at 2.7 so i am very excited!) New question for a day and a half baby was eating 5 cc of formula, now baby has slowed down to maybe 2 at one sitting normally 2 but is still gaining weight. Could that mean she is getting more nutrition from momma and doesnt need as much from me? I am actively seeing her nurse. I also started adding some kitten milk with momma's wetfood and momma is drinking it as well as eating almost all her dry food now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like that may be the case. If so, it’s good, but do continue to supplement for now until we know more. Gains are good though!

Argolupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are over 4 ounces and she turns a week tomarrow!!!!! She weighed 4.15 ounces tonight when i weighed her

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hallelujah! :lovecat2:

Now, do you think she’s getting enough from mama to let you sleep through the night and supplement during the day?

Argolupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think so, im going to try tonight and see how it goes. In birth order their weights were 4.25, 6.15 and 6.5 ounces respectively. She is still a couple of ounces off her siblings but i think she is just meant to be a smaller cat... The biggestones legs have a chunky look to them. On another positive note they are a week old today!!! Also she is wanting a little less at each feeding and barely wanted anything last night (would suck an ounce down and then let go and turn head then every time i tried to feed her more it would come right back out. )