Pregnant momma questions...

Argolupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, i am new here and have 2 female cats Motorboat (my 8 year old spayed female) and Snickers (my newest addition from my boyfriends friend. Non spayed pregnant female not sure age previous owners said a couple of years).

So i got Snickers on April 19th from my boyfriends friend as kind of a spur of the moment. We were visiting and she was very sweet and loving. The friends then said she wasnt even have supposed to have moved with them. My boyfriend fell in love with her and asked me if i liked her so i said yes. I knew she has had atleast 2 litters of kittens and the youngest litter was a couple of months old (they had no idea the birthdate of the last litter). I also know that they had atleast 3 intact male cats. So the day after we got her i called my vet and set up an appointment to get her vaccinated (she was their only cat not vaccinated) and have her checked out to make sure she wasnt pregnant. But before we started at the vets office i noticed that she couldnt keep food down longer then half an hour. Her nipples were larger then my other cats and had a white crust on them (i attributed it to the previous litters).
At the vets office i mentioned everything i knew and had seen. They took xrays and told me she wasnt pregnant and gave her her rabies vaccine. Then the vet comes back in and told me that she has fluid build up in her uterine horns but she wouldnt expect to see (which i dont understand). She also told me that she could send home antibiotics and that she vomiting could subside after spay (which they cant fit her in until oct 1st) or after she has been on the same food for a long period of time (previous owners wouldnt tell me what brand they were feeding). The vet convinced me to run a cbc to see what her white blood cell count was. Then came back and told me everything was normal. I opted to not do the antibiotics and hold off on the other vaccinations and space them out so as not to stress her body out more.
Fast forward another week and a half i start noticing that Snickers belly is getting really round. We bought puzzle treat toys and filled them with food and got a puzzle feeding dish. Both helped with the vomiting and now food is being left in the dish even. I feed my older cat in a seperate room to prevent them fighting over food. I called my vets office back and asked to speak to one of my 2 regular vets (the one i had seen was their newest vet and my gut was telling me that that vet was wrong). I spoke with my normal vet and he said to wait on more vaccinations and he is going to redo the xrays this coming friday (May 28th) for free as he isnt sure why she chose xray versus the ultrasound when we had no idea when she could have been bred.
So now i am positive she is pregnant (without xrays being done yet). So i switched her over to kitten food. She has since become very aggressive with my older cat (just in the last week) to the point she seeks motorboat out to attack. I have a 4 ft. X 4 ft xpen with a top. I currently have it set up in my kitchen (my older cat feels safest on our bedroom and i have nowhere else to put it with no draft as we are in an older home). I have a regular cat bed, food, water, litter bov and a nest box in there and we are alternating which cat gets run of the majority of the house at what time. I put a sheet along the side facing the main part of my kitchen so she feels more secluded.

My questions are:
  • Is there anything else i should be doing?
  • Should i worry about her having recieved her rabies vaccine?
  • Is the aggression possibly linked to her time getting near?
  • Should i worry about her sleeping in her litterbox with her favorite bed in there?
I am very nervous as i am worried about my older cats saftey as well as this momma and the unborn kittens

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think it’s best to relax until your regular vet does the x-rays again. He should be able to give you an estimated gestational age of the kittens and how many if they x-ray both her sides. Glad it’s free!

It sounds like she is eating well now and the setup you have created sounds good.

It makes sense that she is aggressive towards your other cat since she doesn’t know him and she is pregnant. She’s telling him to stay away from her unborn babies! Once they are weaned and she is spayed she will calm down considerably.

Vaccines are not usually given to pregnant cats, especially in the early stages of pregnancy. If the vaccine was not live it should not harm the kittens, so ask your vet about that.

Otherwise, all sounds good for now! 😊

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pregnant or nursing cats can be aggressive towards other cats. But unless you did proper introductions in which she was in a sanctuary room and slowly introduced through scent it's possible that's the issue to. Cats don't get along right from the get go and need a slow intro. I'd recommend checking out Pam johnson bennet's website or Jackson galaxy youtube videos on cat intros. I would just keep them separated to be honest. Not until the kittens are 6-7 weeks old would I do reintros.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Argolupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pregnant or nursing cats can be aggressive towards other cats. But unless you did proper introductions in which she was in a sanctuary room and slowly introduced through scent it's possible that's the issue to. Cats don't get along right from the get go and need a slow intro. I'd recommend checking out Pam johnson bennet's website or Jackson galaxy youtube videos on cat intros. I would just keep them separated to be honest. Not until the kittens are 6-7 weeks old would I do reintros.
Unfortunately there really isnt much of a way to quarrentine but they were hanging out right away until just the last week. Right now i am doing my best to keep them seperated but they can still see each other

Argolupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So i went to the vet yesterday and Sbickers has 3 kittens in her. They vet said that they were pretty well developed so we are in the countdown. Today i came home to a mess that looked like a really long hairball smaller around then a dime. I included a picture of what i set up for her
20210523_161903.jpg

Argolupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok momma had kittens-
9pm first one a black and white possible male 2.7 oz

10 pm orange with white possible male 3.4 ounces

11:15 pm 3rd baby born orange and white not sure weight or have a suspected gender yet. This one is slower moving and it is now 1140. And no placenta and baby is still very wet like momma hasnt cleaned it except to remove the sac.

With every kitten she keeps calling until i sit next to her and she moves her paw on my hand like see what i have here... For the last 2 days sge only wants me around.

Is the third baby going to be ok or should i start hand feeding. Baby number 2 is large and in charge
1622781749458610327745960413641.jpg

16227817911401242882042646854519.jpg

Argolupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok plecenta finally delivered and momma broke the cord. The baby is trying to find a nipple im going to try to lay down and check on them in the am... Looking at babies side by side the last 2 look almost identical in color and weight (just the face seems to tell them apart) and the oldest looks like the runt...

Argolupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Everyone is nursing and momma is resting. Momma is just purring up a storm. The oldest is 1 ounce smaller then the other 2 so im keeping a closer eye on it. Its the easiest one yo tell apart too by coincidence. It was a very long night. O was up off and on after i did lay down because i was worried about the youngest until i finally say it nursing well. (I had seen it nursing but still seemed weak for a little while. )

Argolupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok so the runt has not gained but the other 2 have gained. Should i be worried? The runt weighs the same as he did yesterday

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you see the runt nursing? Has the runt lost or maintained?

If the runt continues to nurse but not gain, you’ll need to supplement.

How much do they all weigh and how much have the others gained?

Do you know how to supplement? Do you have formula and a syringe?

Argolupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you see the runt nursing? Has the runt lost or maintained?

If the runt continues to nurse but not gain, you’ll need to supplement.

How much do they all weigh and how much have the others gained?

Do you know how to supplement? Do you have formula and a syringe?
Ok baby 1 (runt) born at 2.7 ounces and stayed there no loss just maintain and i am seeing him nurse
Baby 2 - born at 3.4 ounces weighed 3.6 ounces last night
Baby 3 was the one born i was origionally worried about because he seemed weak born at 3.75 ounces and weighed 4 ounced last night. I have formula and baby bottles. I have medication syringes for my toddlers beds but i can ask walgreens for one today. I have been watching videos about hand rearing just in case and i have hand raised birds (i know not the same but i know how to have a steady hand atleast with it)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens need to gain 6-10 grams daily at a minimum, so it’s best to weigh in grams so you can see small gains or losses.

The one that has not gained needs to gain, so you might want to supplement this one to give him a boost. Newborns with a mom will rarely take a bottle, so get a small 1-2mL syringe at the pharmacy.

Mom’s milk should be coming in well now behind her colostrum, so hopefully they will all 3 be getting what they need from mom soon. Weigh every 12 hours for 2-3 days to make sure.

The kittens should weigh about 4 ounces at one week, 8 ounces at 2 weeks, 12 ounces at 3 weeks, and 16 ounces (1 pound) at 4 weeks, then continue to gain about a pound a month for the first 6 months or so.

Argolupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
20210605_080824.jpg

Not sure if you can see the size difference well in this picture... As soon as i get off work i am headed to get the syringes...

Argolupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So i just got home and baby has lost weight. It is down to 2.55 ounces and 72 grams

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need to begin syringe feeding with formula every 2 hours now. She’s clearly not nursing mom.

Argolupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok i am watching her nurse but when im trying to feed she wont quit crying and mom comes and takes her away... I ordered the miracle nipples but they wont be here until wednesday...i just got it to take a few swallows... Should i just keep putting back with mama in the hopes it will start suckling on its own after i feed? Im a little worried about when i go to work because i work in healthcare very long hours some days...

Argolupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah i did. I even have glass eyedroppers i could try if needed...