pregnant kitty showing confusing signs!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rukia222

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mservent thank you so very much that brought tears to my eyes. I just love my furballs how people can throw them away makes me sick..they all have homes momma will be spayed very soon my girls got to experience birth and were all so helpful. I didn't expect kittens today but I sure got three little ones and I'm also partial to the blue babies as well. I had a question and I'm not sure if I should ask it here since momma was a stray how long before I can vet her or De worm her after birthing? I'd like to get it done asap due to the fact we have a bunch of little ones running around

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Right place to ask about the deworming and it is a good question to ask.  Someone who knows the correct information for the mother cat and her feeding kittens will advise you soon I am sure.

Beautiful to know you have found homes for the kittens.

rukia222

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you and I will be in touch with updates promise ....

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
catwoman707 catwoman707

This poster wants to know how early she can de-worm and spay her mama who just gave birth yesterday.

Spaying is not until around 8 weeks at least or until kittens are weaned. I do not know which worming products are safe for a nursing mama. Thanks! :)

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pyrantel is extremely mild and safe and can be given now.

Must be re-treated every 2 weeks, 3 times consecutively.

Babies can be dewormed as soon as 4 weeks, then again at 6 weeks.

If mom has/had a flea infestation, she should be dewormed with Drontal, which will take care of the tapeworm as well.

Kittens won't have tapeworms at this young age, it takes until around 8 weeks and older for them to mature enough that you will start seeing segments in poop and/or on rectum.

Only then will they need Drontal or other med that specifically treats tapeworms, as this med is stronger than the gentle pyrantel is.

All kittens will need roundworm treatment, (pyrantel) it's just the way it is, and is as routine as vaccines are :)

rukia222

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks a bunch this helps me so much