pregnant cat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiggs2012

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh and Felix's weight is coming.on great too...he now weighs 201g isn't that great :-D

tiggs2012

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Quick update: Felix is 10 days old today, I can't believe he's here with me. And his weight gain is just fantastic... He now weighs 213g. At this rate he will be double his birth weight by the time he's 2 weeks old :-)

tiggs2012

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hiya your kittens are 10 days old tight? Has snow been displaying some odd behaviour. Leaving kittens for longer, etc. Tiggs was spayed when she had her cesarean but today she just wants to be outside.

tulosai tulosai StefanZ StefanZ is it possible for Tiggs to still display heat behavior after spaying?

Last edited:

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi again 

When cats are spayed their ovaries and uterus are removed.  So they are not like male cats who can take up to 6 weeks for their hormones to quiet down... they are immediately incapable of getting pregnant. Without ovaries she should not be capable of coming into heat.

I would guess that (if her only symptom currently is wanting to be outside) she might just miss it out there. Was she outdoors only before you took her in? If she is showing other signs of being in heat or really acting like she is in heat,  it is possible that some remnants of ovaries were left behind by mistake when she was spayed.  While she should still be unable to get pregnant (because she has no uterus) she might continue to show signs of going into heat. However, there can also be complications from a remnant of the ovaries being left behind, so if you truly believe she's in heat, it would be best to see a vet 

How is the baby?

tiggs2012

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well if I'm being totally honest, I never knew she was in.heat before but also I never looked for the signs.

When she's in doors, most of the time she's with Felix, but then she gets desperate to be outside. And won't spend any time with him until she goes out. But then once shes out, she doesn't want to come in and there's this male cat that follows her everywhere...he stalks my male too but that doesn't end too well lol!

Before I took her in she was stray so she lived outside. But since she's been here with me she's wasn't too bothered about going out until she got pregnant and then she wanted to be out all the time.

tiggs2012

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh and Felix is doing great, he's come on.loads and is gaining weight everyday, he's 213g now at 10 days old :-) I think he's trying to open his eyes too :-)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
May it be so simply she is a good friend with this male outside?  And this is the reason she wants out, to be with her pal?

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, my instinct is also that she just wants to be outside for some reason... my cats are indoor but my Darcy sits by t=he window in front of the screen whenever it is open, staring longingly into the wild outdoors. 

tiggs2012

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok so I don't have to be concerned then, I don't like her going out because she so delicate. Her wound has healed but i just don't feel comfortable letting her stay out for
Long periods of time. I guess I just need to stop being so protective with her!

Also my male cat Sam managed to find his way to her nest while she was out. When I realised he wasn't downstairs I rushed upstairs to find him looking into the box at Felix. I was terrified he'd hurt him but he just stood there looking. I got him out and brought him back down but I was wondering do you think I should move Tiggers bed now Sam knows where she's sleeping? They don't get along you see and I would hate for him to keep harassing her while she's nursing! Although I must admit Ive done exceptionally well to keep them out of eye shot of each other for over 5 weeks lol, its not been an easy task.

Last edited:

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's nothing wrong with keeping her inside if you want to :) I never let my cats out and they are happy, healthy, active, and curious :)

tiggs2012

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There's nothing wrong with keeping her inside if you want to :) I never let my cats out and they are happy, healthy, active, and curious :)
That would be nearly impossible with my girl but I keep trying to encourage her to stay in :-)

tiggs2012

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
tulosai tulosai StefanZ StefanZ I'm Going to start Felix on milk replacement again tomorrow. After his rocky start he began gaining weight really well, between 10 & 15g a day. One day he gained 25g. But over the last 2 days he's only gained 13g (i don't know if it's my scales as he's getting a bit big for them now). I don't understand, he was doing so well! His weight is 235g at 2 weeks old, is that a good weight for his age?

tiggs2012

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
tulosai tulosai StefanZ StefanZ I'm Going to start Felix on milk replacement again tomorrow. After his rocky start he began gaining weight really well, between 10 & 15g a day. One day he gained 25g. But over the last 2 days he's only gained 13g (i don't know if it's my scales as he's getting a bit big for them now). I don't understand, he was doing so well! His weight is 235g at 2 weeks old, is that a good weight for his age?
forgot to mention the reason.I think it could he my scales be cause it did flicker upto 242g but it didn't stay at that as he was wriggling alot.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@tulosai @StefanZ I'm Going to start Felix on milk replacement again tomorrow. After his rocky start he began gaining weight really well, between 10 & 15g a day. One day he gained 25g. But over the last 2 days he's only gained 13g (i don't know if it's my scales as he's getting a bit big for them now). I don't understand, he was doing so well! His weight is 235g at 2 weeks old, is that a good weight for his age?
It is very often that at 2 to 3 weeks old kittens suddenly start to do poorly, especially when they are being bottle fed, but sometimes too when they are with mom.  This is called fading kitten syndrome.  As long as you are aware of what is happening, though, and are able to feed him KMR as a supplement during this time, he will probably come out of it well.

With that said, less than 10 grams of weight gain for one or two days is not necessarily something to be alarmed about.  Though I would start supplementing him again now as you are willing and able to do so, it is possible this is just an ordinary fluxuation and he'll have bounced back by tomorrow. 

His weight is very good for his age. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Re the scale, you can have him in a vessel of some sort, preferably some plastic, this way he will get place on the scale....

13g in two days is not alarming as yet, but good you look closely and let the third day decide...

It happened a couple of times, the nonexistent raise was probably the caretaker forgot to write up one day...   Or had some mix up of some sort.

As the raise for two days was exactly what the probable raise for one day would be...

CAN it be some such??

tiggs2012

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I weighed him on Saturday, Sunday and Monday (today). I record his weight in a diary so I will know as soon as possible when if I need to step in and top him up. I've checked mama's milk and she's still lactating and I know he's feeding cos I can hear him.

I'll try the plastic container to weigh him and start him on KMR, thanks for your advice!

Also just quick, he still hasn't opened his eyes yet, is this normal?

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also just quick, he still hasn't opened his eyes yet, is this normal?
It is late, but still in the normal range.

You sure he he doesnt have pus in eyes?   This is a not so unusaul reason they cant open eyes...

tiggs2012

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
His eyes are clear, no pus whatsoever. Generally he's in pretty good health. He's constantly crawling around the nest and he LOVES to snuggle up to his mama, or his snuggle kitty when Tiggers out of the nest. It's just his weight mainly that concerns me. He poo's and wees on demand (not too much though lol), whether I stimulate him or Tigger.

Last edited: