pregnant cat ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kcmama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
2 boys 2 girls one has a tiny spot under his chin...one has a tiny spot onhis tummy both girls have a spot on ther chest but one girl has slick hair so that makes it a lil easyer..lol ther perfect!!

kcmama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
all the kittens n mama are great kc goes for her spay app in 3 weeks..i also have adopted 3 of the kitty for the price of spay and nueter im keeping one myself..

joanncatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh I didn't know they would spay that soon. My vets wait until the kittens are weaned. I thought that was because the spay would interrupt the hormones and milk production.

Have you named the baby you're keeping? :)

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I didn't know they would spay that soon. My vets wait until the kittens are weaned. I thought that was because the spay would interrupt the hormones and milk production.

Have you named the baby you're keeping? :)
That is generally the rule of thumb. Unless medically necessary, you shouldn't spay Mom until after the kittens are weaned (12 weeks is best but 10 can be okay). It will take a few days for her to recover from the surgery, and does mess with hormones and stops milk production. None of these things are good when you have young kittens! Not only will they still nurse on and off for up to 12 weeks but she still has a lot she needs to teach them. Kittens learn everything from how to eat and use the litterbox to valuable hunting skills from Mom. You don't want to risk her being so moody and disassociated from them that she doesn't do this part, which is critical to making sure they are good "pets" and ready to go live with their forever families. Kittens who don't learn these skills early on from Mom are much more likely to develop behavior problems later. And, those with behavior problems are far more likely to end up in a shelter, regardless of what their adopters say they will/won't do. 

So, unless you have a pressing reason to do her spay so soon I would wait until the babies go to their new homes. That said, if you think you won't do it later (or will be unable to) then do it and and just be prepared to supplement them with a bottle and help them with their other trainings/lessons. It's not ideal but it is better for her to be spayed too early than not be spayed at all and risk going through this again! Since you are keeping one kitten I think it would be super easy to postpone her spay and take them in together once the kittens are 10-12 weeks. 

kcmama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
she wont be spayd then just going to get checked n make an app to be spayd n the kitten too probably about 10 b4 that happens...yes we named her lyra..also just found an 8 week old kitten outside a hospital shes at the vet till tomorra because she was so weak im gonna bottle feed her a few weeks then my sis n law will take her to her new home we named her heaven..

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know it's so confusing because everybody harps that she should be spayed, but then we harp not to spay! 

It's definitely a delicate balance. But, once you make that choice to let her have the kittens you have to see it all the way through. And, that means waiting on the spay until they are weaned. It's your responsibility to make sure she stays indoors and doesn't get impregnated during that time, which, once she goes back into heat, is not a fun job!

I'm glad you decided to wait and just have them done together. You are giving your kittens the best possible future in doing so! 

kcmama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks..but i did mention i adopted her already pregnant...

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might have- I get everyone all mixed up on the reason for the pregnancy. I'm not judging as these things do happen (so long as they only happen once) so I'm sorry if you read it that way. I was just trying to explain myself further and why there seems to be a disconnect on the spaying advice. 
 You are very kind that you took her in such a state and are seeing it through! 

EDIT: I just went back for a second time and re-read my earlier post. I totally didn't mean for it too but it does come across kind of snotty. Sometimes I just get to replying to a bunch of threads and I don't go back and read through what I am writing. I was trying to be brief but in that brevity my tone was sort of attacking. My apologies as that was truly not my intent. Thanks for calling me out and making me review myself. I will try to be better in the future! 

Last edited:

kcmama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thats ok i just dont want ppl to think i woulda let that happen..i kno that importance of spaying and the outcome on not having it done..i understand ur stand on it totaly..lol

lala3

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh thats so exciting! Mine are just figuring out how to play with each other...its so cute. Yours will in no time too. Arent they so fun?

kcmama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yea its sweet..im so in love :-)

joanncatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm envious.

I miss having baby cats around.

Last edited:

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
thats ok i just dont want ppl to think i woulda let that happen..i kno that importance of spaying and the outcome on not having it done..i understand ur stand on it totaly..lol
That's fair. I think you are right that it does change the way people perceive your situation. I do look at it differently knowing you rescued her pregnant as opposed to you just didn't have her spayed and she got knocked up on your watch. I'm not trying to bash others who are in that situation as I understand it does happen, but it can be hard not to get frustrated. So, thank you for pointing this out to me!

They are so sweet when they start opening their eyes, aren't they? They start looking more like little kittens and not just like glorified hamsters! 
 Each day they just get a little cuter till you can't stand it anymore, and then the horrible kitten bursts of terror start happening and some of the sweetness wears off.  Kittens have to be cute otherwise we would never be able to deal with them and their antics! 

pixiecat1979

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine are now walking around and even trying to sneak a few bites of Momma's canned food. :) They are all so beautiful! (and so are yours, btw) I named all of them, even though I can't keep them.We have Layla, Ace, Toby, and Jackson. We are still trying to decide whether we will keep Layla or adopt her out.

kcmama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thats great pixiecat!! Its a hard disition to let em go...my kittys are great growing n eyes are all open cant wair till theyr big enough to play wirh..

kcmama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
update on kc n kittys...all are great..4 weeks old now very busy kittys..have decided on the one im keepin n kc goes the end of the month to be spayd..the kittys go at 12 weeks to hav thers done also...lovin all these crazy kittys although the box no longer holds them..they escape alotttttt...pics coming soon.