Forgot one!!
I think she's saying "get these darn babies out of my belly"
She look's plum miserable

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bobtaillover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So hubby called earlier from work and was asking me if we could take an 8 month old kitten that one of his co-worker's found at her appartment complex about a week and half ago, dumped and starving. She cant have animal's but she took the kitten in and got it fed and sheltered from the rain and cold we have been having. She has since taken it to the vet and got it spayed and shot's given and vet gave it a clean bill of health. My question is...If I was to take the kitten in how do you think Mary would do with her, with her being pregnant? How would I introduce them properly? Any advice would be appreciated. Kitten will go to a shelter if she cant find it a home over the weekend

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You shouldn't just throw 2 cats together anyway. . .they need to be properly introduced, whether one's pregnant or not. Do you have anywhere to keep the other cat separate for a while?

bobtaillover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I have 2 spare bedroom's. One is where I put Mary to have her kitten's. I would'nt just throw them in together cause I have no idea how Mary will react to another cat and I dont want them to fight and hurt each other. I've never had to introduce a cat to another cat. I really want to take this kitten in and show it that, not all people are cruel and will abandon her. Any advice would be great.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since this section is about pregnant kitties and baby kittens, you would probably get more and better advice if you make a separate thread in the behavior section.

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even without another cat, I would suggest keeping Mary in a room, at least for night hours if you aren't already
. When they're born, I would keep them in a room together except for some daily exercise for Mary. That way she'll feel more at home in that area, and be more comfertable when the kittens come.
As for the other kitten, I wouldn't suggest introducing them until Mary's kittens are gone to their new homes- it could be fine, but meeting a new cat would probably just stress her out when she has her kittens.
There are ways that could make the new kitten work, such as having one cat in each room, then alternating who gets out, but I'll let the people in the cat behavior section give you more advise in that area
Abou the discharge you saw, that could definatly be a sign of labor. Keep watching her, and keep us updated! Those pictures are adorable by the way!

bobtaillover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank's cutekittenkat. I made a new thread in the behavior section and hope to get good advice...Im picking the kitten up tomorrow. Mary is'nt showing any sign's today, just been sleeping except when she goes to eat. I have been keeping her in the room at night, that way she doesnt have kitten's where I can't get to them. She love's it in there, she get's up in the window during the day and sun bathe's lol. Thank's guy's. I wouldnt know what to do without this website.

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bobtaillover

Thank's cutekittenkat. I made a new thread in the behavior section and hope to get good advice...Im picking the kitten up tomorrow. Mary is'nt showing any sign's today, just been sleeping except when she goes to eat. I have been keeping her in the room at night, that way she doesnt have kitten's where I can't get to them. She love's it in there, she get's up in the window during the day and sun bathe's lol. Thank's guy's. I wouldnt know what to do without this website.
No problem at all!
Oh yes, typical pregnant cat behavior- they keep you on your toes, but they never seem to have the kittens, then right when you give up, they pop them all out

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, Mary! She's so pretty... but she looks kind of like a furry basketball with paws!
I'm sure she'll be very, very glad once those kittens are born.

Good luck!

bobtaillover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I know it's getting close to Mary having her kitten's and Im getting a little nervous. Today I got the bottom to a dog house that we had outside and brought it in and cleaned it up real good and I'm going to use it as her nesting box, it's much bigger and more accessable for her. I guess my cat isnt like most cat's cause she hasnt been nesting at all I dont think. She's only gone in the cabinet's like 4 time's and once was cause it was storming, and she didnt stay under there very long 3 out of the 4 time's she went in them. Kitten's are just flip flopping around in her belly today, it make's me miss being prego and feeling the baby move around. Such a beautiful thing (LOVE it!!) I'm almost gonna miss Mary being pregnant but I could'nt go through this again and most importantly neither does she, so it's time she get's spayed after these babies.

bobtaillover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Marry Marry quite contrary how did your belly grow??

Loving how she has those leg's crossed

Big ole' BELLY!!

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My gosh that girls got one HUGE belly!!! Like I said before, you're probably looking at a bigger than average litter.
As for the nesting, many cats won't nest at all. I had one foster that didn't so much as put her head into the nesting place until about half an hour before the first kitten was born!
Then I also had one that nested for over a week before they were born...you never really know!

Come on Mary, have those babies!!

rescue-mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow that belly is huge,I had taken in a stray and her belly was about that big when she delivered....7 healthy kittens.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On the other hand, Sonja was just HUGE, but she only had 4 babies. . .but they were all great big boys!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As you are waiting on a big litter, it is extra important the mom gets good nourishment. Calcium, not least. (kemical sign Ca) Both for building up bones, and also, especielly, plenty will be used in milk. Im sure you do already do give her good nourishment - but look around if you can give her extra calcium, and how.

Next tip for big litter. Cats do eats the afterbirth, and usually it is healthy for them - lotsa nourishment.
One exception thoguh: NOT TOO MANY! There is some risk for heavy diarrhea if she eats many.

So if you are present at the birth. Do count the afterbirth if you can (makes it easier for you if you are sure all of them are out),
and dont let her eat more then 4.
If you cant keep count, but there are already more than four babies, dont let her eat up the last afterbirths.

Good luck!

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

On the other hand, Sonja was just HUGE, but she only had 4 babies. . .but they were all great big boys!
The same thing happened with Zoe- everyone was guessing 6-7 babies, but there was only 4 giant kittens (they were born late, so there was a bit of trouble with the birth), and they started opening their eyes on the second day!!!
But, I also had a great big girl who did have 8, so I guess we'll see!

bobtaillover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think she will have at least 6. She's been going and laying on the kitchen floor alot today. Must be cold and feel's good to her lol.

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, poor girl...can't even see her toes

I can't beleive there's still no babies!!