Pregnant cat

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, they're adorable!! I'm so sorry about the first little one- sometimes there's just nothing we can do to help.
About the milk, usually if you watch very carefully when they latch on and first begin to suckle, their ears will twitch very fast for a few seconds when they begin to get milk. If you see this, you know that there is milk. It can be hard to spot, so don't worry if you don't see it at first.
Also, like willowy said, if they are content and not squealing, they're probably fine. Lastly, if Mary is uncomfertable or stressed she may hold back her milk, but if she's lying down and purring to them, it should be fine.

About another kitten- sometimes they do take a bit of a "break" between kittens, but it is sometimes hard to tell if there is one left.
Congrats on the new babies! I told you they would eventually come

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bobtaillover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is the one Im keeping

Look at that face

This one was not happy about me taking away his food

This one looks almost just like the one above

And last but not least the whole family together

Momma and babies are doing great, she didnt have anymore so she had 5 total. She did excellent and is being a great mommy. Im calling a spay/neuture clinic Monday and getting Mary Mary fixed. When she had that first kitten and it was dead I was so scared the other's would be to cause of how old she is so it's time for her to be spayed. I havent made up my mind yet if im gonna do the kitten's or have who ever adopt's them sign a little contract or something saying they will have them spay/neutured (except for the one Im keeping I'll have it done when it's time), right now my number one concern is Mary. Thank's for all the help yall, I wouldnt of known what to do without you guy's.

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww, look at those itty bitty faces!!!
It looks like Mary is an excellent meowmy

And if you can find a vet good vet who will spay/neuter young, then go ahead- if not, ask for a deposite that will be returned once the kitten has been altered. And for Mary, wait until the kittens are gone so that she doesn't have them trying to get milk where her belly will be a bit sore after the surgery. But, call now since the clinics sometimes have a long waiting lists

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know how to tell the genders of baby kittens? If not, post pics of their little back ends and we'll all see who's who

If you can find a vet who will spay/neuter them young (8-12 weeks), it's best to do it before adopting them out. It's very hard to guarantee that their new homes will have them fixed in a timely manner, and since girls can get pregnant at 4 months sometimes there's a surprise. . .and make sure Mary doesn't get out before she's spayed. My vet says that mama cats can be spayed when the kittens are 9 weeks old, but do call to ask your vet; he/she may have a different preference.

Make sure they stay with their mama for at least 10 weeks---12 weeks would be better. Kittens that are separated from the litter too young can have some serious issues!

bobtaillover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No I sure can't tell on kittens this small so I will post pic's as soon as I can catch them not feeding. I do have a question though...should mary still be bleeding a little? And also how can u tell if she has fever without using a thermometer?

poohandwendy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They are just adorable, I love the face of the one you are keeping...so precious!!! Well, they all are!

You mentioned that one is bobtail, which one is it?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by bobtaillover

.should mary still be bleeding a little? And also how can u tell if she has fever without using a thermometer?
Red coloured discharges; red coloured water, a couple of days afterwards is common. Fresh real blood is not so good. Although it is only a little you say...

If you have a vet you know, do phone and ask. Better you can describe and answer follow up questions, and he decides, then I do guessing. Im no vet either...
If you are used to your cat, you can probably feel if she runs a fever. So for example I always felt when my child had fever. Termometer was the formality to be done, but I always knew beforehand if he had fever or not.
That is one way.
Otherwise, a quick way nowadays there are termometers for use at the ear. Quick, no trouble at all... Well worth the money, and humans can also use it.

The old way is a common termometer in the behind. Some thin layer vaseline on is good. And have it beforehand in a warm room, so it is not cold). With the semi-modern electronical it takes perhaps one minute or less. With the old quicksilver at least 5, preferably 10... (I began to write warm the termometer in your armpit. You can do it only if the termometer is not on. If it is on - the metering may get disturbed. So held the termometer in a warm room, or something, before you begin).

There are usually telltale signs to see the cat is not well, if you know the cat you will KNOW. Oncoming third eyelid may be one of the signs.

Good luck!

bobtaillover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So just a little update. The kitten's are now 4 1/2 day's old. They're fat,healthy little booger's. Momma is doing great also, she's an excellent mommy. She hardly ever leave's them and if she does it's only for a few minutes. They're the best kitten's, they dont ever cry unless I take them away from eating. I have tried getting picture's of their little bottom's but I think they're a litte modest and like to squirm while Im trying to take a picture so none of them come out good enough, bbbuuuttt if I had to guess im going to say that there are 3 girl's and 1 boy. I'll be able to tell when they get a little older. We had to go out of town for a whole night and then half a day and I worried about them the whole time I was gone, checked on them as soon as I walked in the door and they were doing great!! I was so happy
. Anyway here are a couple of picture's of them I took today. Also I wanted to introduce someone too yall.

All cuddled up while mommy was eating lol

I think they all are going to be great friend's

And this little sweety pie is Jezabell, she's the cat we took in for the DH co-worker so she didnt have to go to a shelter. It took her awhile but she has finally came around and is starting to trust us and love on us. Her spay site is healing and doing great, she finished all her antibiotic's like a pro!! She's adjusting really great. She is sitting in the DH arm's. She's beautiful!!

I didnt get around to calling the spay/neuter clinic today cause the DH phone was stollen over the weekend so we were getting that straigtened out today but Im for sure going to call them tomorrow.

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww!
They just keep getting cuter!!(If that's possible)
It's great to hear that they're all doing well

And little miss Jezabell is simply beautiful! She looks like she loves her new family!

bobtaillover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on the kitten's, they're a week and 3 day's old today. One of them opened it's eye's on about the 5th day, the rest of them opened there's today. I read online that SH cat's open their eye's at 5-8 day's and LH open their's at 10-14 day's, the one's that opened their eye's today would make it 10 day's so does that mean they will be LH? Mary has moved them to a different spot, she just moved them a couple of day's ago. She moved them to a spot where I cant get to them very good so I cant get any good picture's. I tried moving them to the other spare bedroom that I had set up for her to begin with but she tried moving them back after about 10 minutes of being in there so I just put them back where she had them. When could I move them without her moving them back? I only want to move them cause I'm affraid with all the junk that's in there they will get stuck somewhere when they start roaming around. I called the spay/neuter clinic and they said I can bring Mary in after her milk dries up and when I brought her in we can set up appointment's for the kitten's. It's only gonna cost 25.00 to have Mary done and they said they would work something out with me on the kitten's.

bobtaillover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This one crack's me up

My baby

Im so IN LOVE with all of them and want to keep them all!! It has been a hard decission between the black and white and the darker tabby one. I might keep them both.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG they are so cute
I don't think I'd be able to choose, I'd have to keep them all

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww!!! I love it when they open their eyes!!

I agree, they're all so cute I think I'd keep them all!