Pregnant Cat/newborn Kitten Advice Please

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you been able to give the kitten formula by now? How is the kitten doing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lm1308

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi yes started bottle feeding yesterday thats what the vet had gave me and i couldnt get back out for a syringe, uno, thats we named it just now latches on to the bottle sucks for about 10 mins only taking about 1ml every 2 hrs but better than nothing right? Millie is still tucking uno in to keep him warm and washing ect still so all good there she really doesnt like me taking him for a feed tho she lies on my lap trying to knock the bottle out his mouth so thats proving difficult as i dont really want to distress her by going in a different room where she cant see him. I tried thru the night to attach to her nipple again but i cant even seem to get a bead of milk anymore :( can this ressolve? Her back 2 nipples still seem swollen just not getting anything from them

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep trying to get him to latch onto mama so she is stimulated to make milk. You need to get a scale and weigh him daily to see if he is gaining weight, especially when he is on mom, to see if he is getting anything. It is crucial he be fed every two hours.

Lm1308

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just back from vets they couldnt get him to latch on either so just to keep trying and take her back tomorrow and keep up with feeds

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you dont have a syringe, you can use a dropper. Some even tells it feels easier for them than a syringe.
A dropper or syringer makes it easier for weak sucklers - its just enough they can swallow.

If you dont have neither, people had used such a suckling straws for drinks...If in a pinch.

Just back from vets they couldnt get him to latch on either so just to keep trying and take her back tomorrow and keep up with feeds

Lm1308

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vets told me not to use the syringe she was going to give me one but then when she tried to feed him with the bottle she got him sucking quite good and said keep up with bottle as will help him learn how to suckle and latch onto mum, mums temp was 39.3 she said it was a bit high ? Ive got to take her back tomorrow scared now incase she has an infection or something. I didnt see the placenta but it was dark i didnt even notice she had the kitten i just thought she was cleaning herself so i just assumed she had are everything by the time i noticed, does the placenta come out with the kitten? And what if the placenta was retained what can the vet do ? Sorry for all the questions but didnt really think much of it until i was thinking about the vet saying her temp was up. Thank you to everyone who is taking the time to help me out :)

Lm1308

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry another question, vet said just to make sure he gets 7 feeds per 24 hours but if i feed him every 2 hours that would be 12 feeds? So should it be every 3 hours?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
that depends in much on his condition and your practical possibilities!

A healthy kitten manages nicely 7 feeds a day. A sickly one needs more often. A kitten in crisis whom manage just mini-portions, needs perhaps every hour...
Look also, how much he adds per day...

The labels on the kmr-bottles tend to have too long pauses.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
39.3=102.75 Normal high end is 39.2 or 102.5 so she is just barely in the fever range. She could have that much from stress. So she will need to be monitored to make sure it doesn't go up. I would feed the baby every two hours. I know this is an exhausting schedule, but it is only for a week or two, and then you can space them out more. I wish he would latch on. Make sure mama is eating/drinking well.
The placenta should have come out with the baby, and she should have ate it. If it didn't she'll get a fever and a smelly, thick drainage from her lady parts. As long as she is eating and drinking well, she feels well. If she stops eating get her to a vet.
I think the vet told you the barest minimum to feed the kitten, but meant more is better.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The mom may be feverish if she is developing mastitis from her backed up milk. Best to let the vet check her out. She may need an antibiotic.

In the meantime, a wet, warm compress will ease the swelling and inflammation in mom’s mammary glands. Try it! It has given relief to many cats.

Lm1308

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your replies :) the vet managed to get him to take 3ml and i also half an ago managed to get him to take 3ml. Milly isnt eating as much as she was before birth but pre preganancy this was normal for her as shes never been a big eater. Otherwise she seems happy enough but ill keep an eye on her temperature. Got him on the teat but he just falls off :( i hope he manages to figure out also the vet said to wash his back end with cotton wool to help him eliminate but no joy there havent seen him pee or poo at all. Should i continue to wipe him until he does eliminate or do i just do it for a few mins? Milly is still cleaning him ect too so maybe he has been going and i just havent saw it yet.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like mom is doing the stimulation and cleaning for pee and poop, so focus on getting the formula into him every 2 hours. He needs to gain strength and weight in order to be strong enough to latch on to mom eventually.

Do you know if the kitten has gained any weight yet? Normal weight gain should be 6-10 grams per day.

How often are you feeding?

Lm1308

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Feeding every 2 hours at first he was taking 1ml last 2 feeds he took 3ml takes a while like 40 mins lol and thats a relief i wasnt sure if he would end up ill if he wasnt doing the toilet. Im not sure about weight ive not been able to get scales yet but he is very small even vet said hes small and hes maybe a bit early but totally developed just tiny. Will get scalew tomorrow as im not able to get back out today 4 kids off school lil one to feed arrgghhhhh lol

Lm1308

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet took his weight today and hes back tomorrow so ill find out if hes gained and ill buy my own scales on the way home so i can keep checking

judygarlandmacat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vet took his weight today and hes back tomorrow so ill find out if hes gained and ill buy my own scales on the way home so i can keep checking
good idea its a real indicator of kitten health and often an indicator of problems

Lm1308

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its real hard work trying to feed him! Over an hour last feed took on the plus side did get him to wee :)