Pregnant Cat/newborn Kitten Advice Please

Lm1308

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi

We recently rehomed a female cat we were going to keep her as completely indoor but she got out just before christmas anyway i lifted her the other night and noticed her nipples felt ratger large and i didnt notice this before, her belly doesnt look or feel different. After closer inspection i noticed that her bottom 4 are alot larger than the top 4 so really not sure what to think, will attach a picture see what people think

Thanks

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she got out she is most likely pregnant. She would be about a month along, so another month to go! (63 days) First litters are usually small, about three kittens, and she may not get very big. Giving birth is a lot more dangerous than having them spayed, so I would definitely keep her in at all cost after the kittens are born and have her spayed after they are weaned, or even before, ask your vet for advise. I had one get pregnant again when the kittens were a week old!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lm1308

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, thanks for getting back to me we are defo getting her spayed after she has had them if she is pregnant that is, suppose time will tell just thought it was very odd that her top 2 are still tiny and white i would have thought they would look all the same, oh well lol

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, that is perfectly normal. Please keep us posted on how she is doing! Make sure she has good nutrition right now and when she is nursing. Kitten food is a good choice, filled with nutrition and calories. Thank you for saving her life, she will repay you with love and the gift of new life!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The lower back nipples are always the most productive ones.

Lm1308

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ahh i see, yeah shes eating loads so should i start her on kitten food now? I will defo keep you updated :)

Lm1308

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okidoki thank you :)

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
dry kitten chow as well as a can of wet food, I would say 3 times daily at this point. If she is pregnant, her appetite will be increasing as you will find. My queens would require 5 cans of wet food per day when they were pregnant and while nursing. Of course with the dry kitten chow on hand 24/7 for her.

Lm1308

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi ok so i posted a few weeks ago as i wasnt sure if the cat i rehomed was pregnant, well she had 1 kitten at 8am this morning by half 10 kitten still hadnt fed so i tried to persuade it putting nipple in its mouth ect after many failed attempts it started suckling after 5 mins it fell off and wouldnt reattach now i cant get it to latch on again. Vet said not to worry and give it time but im panicking so how much longer should i leave it before buying kitten formula ? I really wanted kitten to figure it out on its first but it just keeps searching for the nipple and not finding it even when it is right infront of its nose. Mum ma is doing great cleaning ect so no problems there, thanks in advance

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do buy formula or goats milk immediately. If the kitten doesnt need it, you can give it to momma or use yourself.
Begin with a small bottle though, if there are several to choose amongst.

You can buy some time with smearing a little honey sweetened water on the kittens lips and gum. It gives quick energy, and also gives some water...

Be prepare to handfeed, if the kitten is weak or have a weak suckling. sometimes they catch on later on and suckle properly.
Is momma washing it etc as she shall?

L Lm1308

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps, if the kitten is a weak suckler, it wont help with a bottle. You will need a little needleless syringe of 1-1,5 ml, or a dropper. Tummy down, head up, carefully in the corner of the mouth...

Lm1308

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Getting formula from the vets and yeah shes cleaning kitten and lies on her side to let it feed but it just searches and searches :( its almost like it doesnt know what to do but its trying and i can hear it climbing over her suckling at her fur and when the nipple is in front of her it does try to get it but it just kinda falls out its mouth if that makes sense. I really dont want it to die she only had the 1 i will be devasted. My vet didnt seem to think it was urgent but i feel it is im not sure if im just panicking too much tbh

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try the honey on the gums and see if it will latch on. I have seen kittens do this, but they need to feed at least once every couple of hours. Keep putting it in the right position, I have a feeling mama's milk isn't in (it usually isn't until a day or two later) but the kitten needs the colostrum it could get now. Once the milk comes in there shouldn't be a problem. A syringe feeding would give it a little more energy to find the proper nipple

Lm1308

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her teats are very swollen so ive been squeezing wee bits out for baby to lick just now managed to get baby back on but just keeps coming after about 30 secs, will try the honey too but in the mean time will feed it some formula, thank you so much for yours replies! Also would it be safe to say mumma cat isnt having anymore?

bklyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's possible she could have more, one kitten litters aren't very common. You should try to feel around and see if you feel any movement or lumps, and if you notice her go into distress you should contact a vet immediately. If she starts to have contractions, stay with her, it means another baby is coming.

There are products to encourage more vigorous nursing, but you don't have time to wait. Definitely get honey/karo syrup on the gums, and I would keep trying to get him to latch as often as you can, as previously advised. You could supplement, but it would be a lot better if he stayed with mom at least a couple of days.

bklyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
^ Distress meaning loss of appetite, lethargy, vomiting, continued diarrhea etc.

Lm1308

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I cant feel anything but i couldnt feel the kittens anyway and never any movement either before she had this 1 i actually started thinking it was a phantom pregnancy so was quite shocked this morning, she seems quite settled so keeping a close eye and ill be goingvout soon so will pick up honey, so do i rub some on kittens gums then try to get it to latch on?

bklyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes rub it directly on the gums. It can be a bit messy, so clean his face after with a warm wet paper towel to take off any from his fur (or let mom clean him), then try to latch. Honey should have a pretty instant energizing effect, so hopefully you see a difference of his alertness within minutes.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I cant feel anything but i couldnt feel the kittens anyway and never any movement either before she had this 1 i actually started thinking it was a phantom pregnancy so was quite shocked this morning, she seems quite settled so keeping a close eye and ill be goingvout soon so will pick up honey, so do i rub some on kittens gums then try to get it to latch on?
If the honey is liquidish, you can smear it on. But If its fast, and the kitten weak, it will just be a mess.
I myself recommend you solve honey in water, so its sweet water, and smear on lips and gum.

If momma seems ok, you can wait and see, even if you know there is more kittens. the alarming situation comes if you notice she isnt OK, as previously mentioned. If so, you must contact a vet immediately, perhaps even rush in.