Pregnant Cat Help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsstine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Labor is stalled, the vet said to wait it out as long as she's not in distress. They said something about it could be a few days as long as there is no signs of infection or anything like that, but we will probably take her in this afternoon once my car is back. (Great timing on that! My aunt needed to barrow it yesterday while hers in in the shop.) I'm dropper feeding this little guy even though survival is slim. She's at least keeping him warm. I can get him on the nipple but he can't really suckle :( and I'm trying not to bother her much. She did end up having the first 3 under my son's crib, so that's cleaned up and we gently moved her to her box.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may hold the others in for a few days. If so, they have a better chance of survival.

The little fellow looks good! I hope he makes it.

Is he swallowing the drops?

Do you have a weight on him yet?

Is mom doing okay?

mrsstine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is swallowing, but it's difficult. I wasn't expecting premies so a friend brought me over a bottle and went to pick me up some more. She has some she's bottle feeding. I've just been using a dropper since he won't suckle at the bottle. I don't have a weight my kitchen scale won't pick it up, hopefully new batteries will help. She's grabbing those also. Moms fine she's sleeping. She cries when she can't see me so I'm set up on my bedroom floor. She won't snuggle him anymore so he's tucked in my shirt. I'm digging out my heating pad to put under the box so I can keep him in it. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but I'm already in love.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
mrsstine mrsstine

Oh, I'll bet you are in love! :redheartpump: I would be too.

Hopefully, the vet can get a weight on him. In the meantime, try for .5mL each hour or so. When he is stronger he can nurse mom.

He definitely needs to stay warm.

:vibes:I'm rooting for him!

Pushing! Let us know!

mrsstine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She birthed a girl. The placenta came out with the baby, she wouldn't break the sack so I did tied and cut the cord, cleared air way, and tried to stimulate breathing. I think she passed before she came out.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you try swinging the baby down between your legs once to clear fluid? I'm so sorry. You're doing all you can for them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh no!

Did you try rubbing both kittens vigorously with a towel?

Poor mama! Do you think she is done now?

mrsstine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, their skin and tongues were white. I swung them, and used suction,but it was no ise. I wouldn't have felt right not trying though. The vet is going to call me with a date to have her spayed asap. I think she has one more in her, but I'm not 100%. I was going to take her to a clinic for that, but this has me spooked. I mean I've had kittens before, I grew up with barn cats and have been around for many litters, but they were always smooth going.

mrsstine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I rubbed probably longer than necessary wiping tears as I went. I'm mean the kittens matter to me or I wouldn't be trying, but I'm so worried about mama.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is very unusual. I have to wonder what caused it.

I agree that your vet should handle her spay. Give it time though, to see if this baby will latch eventually.

Perhaps if there is another baby it will live. :crossfingers:

mrsstine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mama is doing great, she eating the after birth, just has no interest in the kittens, she has the usual bleeding and discharge, she's relaxing. She is snuggled up to our one survivor, we named him Ozzy, short for Oswald.

mrsstine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She was upt when we got her. I think she said December.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
An IR heating lamp is useful with prematures. He wont get chilled at feeding

mrsstine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a heat lamp for my newts I was thinking about bringing in, but I'm not sure it will help, it's only got an 18in range and is have to put it 3 feet up.