Pregnant Cat Help

mrsstine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is nearing the end of her pregnancy. It could really be any day now. I think she's either in labor or getting ready to go into labor. She has not eaten at all in 12 hours, I've offered her a variety. And she hasn't left her spot on my bedroom floor at all today. She's breathing quite heavily, but no licking or grooming and I'm not sure if she's having contractions or not. I check on her about every 30 min give or take. I going children so I can't be with her constantly. She has a box set up 5 feet away from where she decided to lay. I guess my question is, could it be labor, or does it sound like I need to make a trip to my vet? Also she seems a little "wet" down there, but its not swollen or anything. Just clear.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this the cat who had a litter last year? How old is she?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Seems to be prelabor. This may be even 24 hours, even if many cats has it short.

What we dont want, is active pushing labor without results. Maximum one hour, maximum. The active phase is shorter than with humans.

But I understand you DO have access to a vet? Does he answers telephone questions? Sometimes its easier to talk it through.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she is in labor. She may be leaking some of her water bag, or it may be clear to pinkish discharge that accompanies labor.

She may get in her nest when it's time to push, and she may not. If she does not, put a towel down and move mom and kittens later when she's done.

Stage one labor can last up to 24 hours before pushing begins. It sounds like mom has already been laboring for a few hours.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsstine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No we got a rescue from a friend for Easter after my girl was hit by a car a few months ago :(
She told me she's about 2. I'm not sure if this is her first litter. She would have gotten pregnant right before we got her, she's never been outside with me.

mrsstine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have access to a vets office with a call back service as long as it's an emergency. They are an animal ER also, so no matter what I'm covered on that end. They know that she is pregnant and around when she is due. I had her there about a month ago. I opted out of an xray, I couldn't afford it at the time.

mrsstine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel silly for being worried, though I know I shouldn't. I know all labors in cats are different just like humans, but I've never had one so calm and lazy. She not running a fever and she's drinking. She just licked her food, but didn't eat it.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, ok, so you haven't been through this with her. I'm sorry to hear about your girl.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww, sorry about your cat. What happened to her kittens?

Things sound normal with this rescue kitty. It may not be her first rodeo, so she's chill.

mrsstine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
On passed day 2, and my sister took 1,my grandma took 1, and best friend took the last 2. They're all very happy, but the one my grandma took is a major tool who growls hisses and bites. He is the cat from hell. She said the vet hates when they bring him in. He is fixed.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On passed day 2, and my sister took 1,my grandma took 1, and best friend took the last 2. They're all very happy, but the one my grandma took is a major tool who growls hisses and bites. He is the cat from hell. She said the vet hates when they bring him in. He is fixed.
How old was he when he left the litter and mom?

mrsstine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
10 weeks, I kept them 2 extra weeks because they just didn't seem ready at 8.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, 10-12 weeks is the minimum that kittens are ready to go. You made the right choice.

I asked because sometimes when kittens are separated too early they are not well mannered. Sounds like your grandmother has a difficult one on her hands!

mrsstine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her nipples are now leaking a tiny bit, so I'm hopeful it will be today sometime.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Milk can come in several days prior to labor and delivery. She's very close though!

mrsstine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well she's delivering. I've talked to my vet because they're slightly pre mature and not viable vet. One is still alive and 2 passed. She's not finished yet though. He said to let her go and let nature do it's thing unless there's a problem which he will need to intervene. I probably will only post one more time with a final count. I'm not in the best shape emotionally at the moment.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please do let us know how she's doing. Mom is lucky to have found you.