Pregnant Cat Advice Please

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I thought of that, but they won't be back open until Monday. They are only open on Saturday twice a month. He is eating a bit better today, and did eat a bit of soft food on his own as well.

Now that the congestion is loosening more, he has been coughing a lot. But we can tell he feels better than yesterday as he has played a bit.

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is a LOT better now! The Clavamox has worked a lot better than the Amoxicillan did. I have a question. Lookie is using the litter box really good. The issue is, when he goes to the potty on his own, he is going to the bathroom next to the litter box, instead of inside. Any ideas on how to correct that? So far, every time I see him do that, I pick him up and put him into the box. Of course he uses the box then. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so glad he's better again! Just keep putting him in the box; he will catch on eventually! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all, been awhile since I have posted. Lookie is doing great overall, but I do have a question.

A few weeks ago, Lookie developed diahhrea. The vet did tests for parasites, etc all were negative. They told me he has developed lacatose intolerance at an earlier age than most kittens do.

The vet had me pull him off of all kitten food as it contains dairy. The diahhrea stopped, but I am concerned about making sure he gets the nutrition he needs to grow properly,as Lookie is only 9 weeks old.

What can I do to make sure he is getting the extra nutrition a kitten needs?

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He was eating the fancy feast kitten canned food and the Blue dry kitten food. The vet said all kitten food has dairy, thus no more kitten food.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I guess you'll have to use adult wet and dry. Fancy Feast classic is excellent. If he'll drink goat's milk you can give him a dish of that each day.

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is what I feed them, fancy feast canned and Evolve dry. I thought goat's milk was considered dairy?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I guess it would be considered dairy. He should be alright with what you're feeding him. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok thats good to know thank you

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi All, 

I need some input regarding if a cat is pregnant. I have 3 fosters. The older one is a female who is estimated to be a little over a year old. The two younger ones are a male and female who are estimated to be 3 or 4 months old. They had their health checks, shots, etc when the rescue received them. All three are set up for spays/neuter in a few weeks.  I have been fostering them for a little over a month. 

Today the older female literally forced Lookie to nurse on her. I removed Lookie and took a look. The two back nipples are pink and bigger - as though she is pregnant - but her other nipples don't really look overly pink or big to me. 

I remember when Mama cat was expecting Lookie, she forced my smaller cat to nurse on her. But I am not sure if that is an indication of pregnancy or not. I was wondering if this is an indication of pregnancy? 

She hasn't been in heat since I have had her either. I have had her a little over a month, before that the rescue had her for 2 weeks. Thus, if she is pregnant she would have to be at least 6 weeks along. Although she loves to be petted, she won't let me pet the sides of her tummy so I haven't been able to really pet around to check for movement.  

Anyway, could you guys give me some input? Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
L lovelife

It sounds like pregnancy hormones to me, especially since she's not been in heat. Kitten movement is felt the last 2-3 weeks, so it may be too soon to see movement if she is pregnant. Are her sides getting bigger?

Barring an x-ray, this is one of those "time will tell" situations.

I'm curious as to why the rescue did not spay her right away.

Last edited:

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi @sarthur2 

She looks bigger all around, not just her sides. That could be from getting enough to eat though, she was very thin when she came to me. 

Unsure why they didn't spay her right away. The rescue has a vet that gives them discount services and does all the vetting for them. I have never known them to spay/neuter right away. Perhaps it is up to the vet? The rescue runs entirely on donations and volunteers who foster so that could be a factor as well. 

In our area, this year's kitten season so far is a lot busier than it has been in the past few years. I talked the lady at the rescue, She is going to come by later and look at her. If she is pregnant thankfully they will wait to do the spay until after the kittens are weaned. 

Kind of perplexing about it only being two nipples that look that way. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is perplexing, but at this point I would assume pregnancy and wait it out. If she is, you'll see kitten movement soon.

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The girl from the rescue came by and she found it perplexing too. She has been rescuing cats and kittens for over 25 years and she has never seen a cat with two nipples that look pregnant, while the rest do not. Based on the two lower nipples looking like they do during pregnancy, we are just going to assume pregnancy at this point. There is no fever, and Rory's nipples are not hot to the touch or anything. 

Based on the timing, if she is pregnant, Rory is around 6 to 7 weeks along. Which means if she is pregnant, the kittens will arrive in 2 to 3 weeks. The girl from the rescue is going to call their vet on Monday for some input. Being that it is a rescue, they do not usually do x-rays on cats to check for kittens. Hence the watch and see. 

Do you think perhaps Catwoman has seen anything like this with the nipples? I remember seeing in a post that she has worked with rescues for several years as well. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We can certainly ask catwoman707 catwoman707 if she has seen this before. We'll see what she thinks. I do know the back nipples tend to be the most productive in nursing cats. Again, if there is no infection, it's a wait and see. I think we'll know in another week or so if you begin to see kitten movemet.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's pretty much figured out, no fevered skin/heat coming from the 2, swelling, discharge, etc so it sounds like she is prego and this is how she is preparing for milk production.

As long as you don't notice sort of a solid lump like a frisbee shape forming under the skin it's likely hormonal changes with pregnancy causing this.

Soon enough the others should start changing, and movement will be felt.

I'm pretty darn sure she's preggers!

Sort of disappointing she wasn't spayed sooner though. 

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi @catwoman707  Thank you both for the input! There are no solid lumps in the area. We will just assume she is preggers then. The lady at the rescue is going to call their vet on Monday to make him aware of the situation with Rory's nipples and then we will go from there. I am hoping their vet will suggest an exam. 

Meantime, another girl from the rescue is bringing me a few cans of powdered KMR so that I can start giving it to Rory in addition to the food she is now eating. 

In regard to the spay, I am unsure of the reasons behind the rescue group waiting as Rory is estimated to be at least a year old. They set all that up when she was vetted roughly 7 weeks ago. Most of the cats/kittens I have fostered for them are the tiny infant bottle babies or older kittens.