Pregnant Cat Advice Please

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@sarthur2   @catwoman707  I see what you guys are saying. Since he has been nursing so much, I wasn't sure whether I should try for a full feed or just whatever he will eat. Unsure if I mentioned this or not, but the vet gave me a can of Hill A/D and told me to puree a spoonful of it into the mixed kmr and to feed him that every other time I have to supplement him. Since he nursed so much yesterday, I put the A/D in ice cube trays and froze it for later use. I pureed a good sized cube of the A/D with the mixed KMR. 

I started supplementing him again at 8:30 tonight because he only nursed for 5 minutes. He ate 5 ml for me at 8:30. He nursed on Mama at 9:30 and 11:00 - ten minutes each time. I fed him the puree mixture of A/D and KMR at midnight. He ate a whopping 15 ml of it! I did notice on Saturday night that he really seems to like the KMR better with the A/D in it. I am seriously thinking of giving him the A/D KMR puree mixture every time I supplement him because he likes it a lot and needs the calories. Would that give him diarrhea or anything? 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

@sarthur2   @catwoman707  I see what you guys are saying. Since he has been nursing so much, I wasn't sure whether I should try for a full feed or just whatever he will eat. Unsure if I mentioned this or not, but the vet gave me a can of Hill A/D and told me to puree a spoonful of it into the mixed kmr and to feed him that every other time I have to supplement him. Since he nursed so much yesterday, I put the A/D in ice cube trays and froze it for later use. I pureed a good sized cube of the A/D with the mixed KMR. 

I started supplementing him again at 8:30 tonight because he only nursed for 5 minutes. He ate 5 ml for me at 8:30. He nursed on Mama at 9:30 and 11:00 - ten minutes each time. I fed him the puree mixture of A/D and KMR at midnight. He ate a whopping 15 ml of it! I did notice on Saturday night that he really seems to like the KMR better with the A/D in it. I am seriously thinking of giving him the A/D KMR puree mixture every time I supplement him because he likes it a lot and needs the calories. Would that give him diarrhea or anything? 
No, you can do that no problem.

He will eat more each time, so he won't need to eat quite as often. What is the ratio you are using for the 2?

He is getting to the point where he can actually start to show interest in eating from a shallow dish, A/D mushed up with KMR like a thick milkshake, poke his face in it :) He will lick it off and get the taste/idea soon after having done this a time or two.

Since he is so big it's hard to get that amt of formula in to him so the canned will really help that out.

He does not need the same mls as straight KMR.

Once he will eat from a dish, that can be offered several times throughout the day so he can gauge the amt he needs until he is full and content.

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The ratio I used was 3 or 4 tbl of the A/D pureed into 3 tbl of powdered KMR and 6 tbl of water. 

I will try the bowl eating and see if I can get him to lap it up. Yesterday he did eat solid food a bit, but today would not so far anyway. I will just keep giving him the puree mix then. He ate 15 ml of the puree mix at midnight. I will give him until 3 and then see how much he will eat. Unless he gets up before and seems hungry. He is fast asleep. He had a very busy day today. He is 4 weeks old today and everything has his interest. I noticed today that while nursing, sounds especially have gotten his attention and he stops nursing to investigate and play, then goes back to nursing. Mama gets impatient with that. After a few times doing that, Mama got up and flatly refused to let him nurse. Plus she isn't too thrilled with the fact that he will not stay in the nest box - no matter how many times she puts him back, he gets out to explore. lol 

Looki has been using the litter box today as well. Not the tiny one, one of the big ones. His followed his big "brother" into the box this morning and watched Cory use the potty, so Looki went potty. Cory adores Looki and Looki adores Cory. I didn't have to do anything but make sure that Looki was able to get back out of the litter box. I have been putting him into the small box, but the little imp climbs back out and heads to the big box. It is cute and funny to watch him. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He's making great progress! Any day now he'll begin eating the A/D with KMR mixture from a dish on a regular basis, and be on his way! What a great little role model he has in Cory!

I'm delighted to hear that he took 15 mL's. I think you're catching on now to what we are saying in terms of what he needs. Let us know how he does today with his eating. He needs 15 mL's a few times a day to gain!

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I posted a picture of him.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my goodness! He's adorable! He looks like a little plush toy! [emoji]128149[/emoji][emoji]128149[/emoji][emoji]128149[/emoji]

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oooo he couldn't be any cuter, I need him! 

Okay maybe just for some squeezes and kisses, then he can go back :)

He looks so soft!

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you 
 Yes he is very soft and fluffier than he looks in the picture. Not albino like his Mama. I will weigh him later today and see if he has gained any weight, and I do hope he has. He isn't eating 15 ml of the KMR A/D puree every time. It has varied between 5 ml and 15 ml. every few hours, except during the night. He went 10 hours without a supplement and I don't know how much he nursed in that time. I set the alarm on my phone to get up to feed him and accidentally set it for pm instead of am. Did I mention that I completely freaked out when I woke up? He was sound asleep at the time, so I let him sleep a bit then got him up to feed him. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, do let us know his weight later. It sounds like he's eating well though. I'm glad you are offering frequent feedings with the A/D mixture.

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And the numbers are in. Looki weighs 18.5 ounces. Very happy he gained today

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's a good start! Yay! Keep up the feedings. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes it is! I sure am! He is nursing and I am still supplementing him. Just fed him in fact, he at a good 8 ml this time. 

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a bit of a problem here. First off, Looki has gained a full ounce today! So that is awesome!  The issue I am having is, my other cats are marking the perimeter of my home. In front of the doors and windows. That is the only area they are doing this. I am thinking they think they are protecting from invaders. I have a neighbor who lets his cats outside. I am sure they smell the scent of those cats and that is why they are marking. My boys are neutered and have never done this before. Based on where they are marking, the only conclusion I can come up with is that they think they are protecting Mama and Looki from my neighbors cats, especially in light of the fact that this started after one of the neighbor's cats came onto my front porch two days ago.

What can I do to stop this behavior? And, what kind of product should I use to eradicate any odor left behind? 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What would start all of this is other unneutered male cats can smell momma cat, she is likely in heat now.

Getting her fixed asap will eliminate this nonsense.

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She isn't acting like she is in heat, so if so it must be a silent heat. Mama is set to be fixed on March 21st. She is still nursing and Looki isn't weaned. Would they even fix her this soon after having a kitten? 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lookie being 4 weeks she is right on time for a heat cycle, it may have just started, hard to say but that would explain all of the marking going on.

Actually yes they do spay soon after, before kittens are weaned even and they just go back to nursing.

Last edited: