Pregnant Cat Advice Please

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update on Rory The lady who runs the rescue contacted their vet about Rory's nipples. The vet said if Rory is pregnant, the fact she has milk and is trying to nurse another cat is indicative that she would be due very soon. However, the fact that only two nipples are lactating, etc. can be indicative of phantom pregnancy, which is not very common in cats. 

His advice was that as long as Rory is eating great, nipples aren't hot, and she is happy to just keep an eye on her and watch and see. If no kittens appear by next Monday, then call back and we will go from there. If she does have kittens in the meantime, there is a bit of concern if milk doesn't come into the other nipples. But we will address if she goes into labor, etc. I do have syringes and bottles all ready if I need them. Her nipples still look like they did before with no indication of milk coming in anywhere else but the two back nipples. 

He also advised goat milk over the KMR as it is easier on the tummy. Thankfully she loves the goat milk so far! (So does everyone else lol)  

So we will wait and see what happens. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds like a plan! Perhaps you'll see kitten movement in the next week. An x-ray or ultrasound would answer the question too.

Last edited:

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Either that or kittens! I know an x-ray or ultrasound would answer that question, but I have to go by what the rescue group decides to do. Would love to get her one though! 

Earlier I walked into my den and Rory was sprawled out on the floor nursing Lookie and the two foster kittens. (They are a month or two younger than Lookie is.) Mama was cuddled up with them as well and looked as though she were offering support. I sat down and gently felt around, I could not tell either way, but Rory's tummy feels firm. So I started to feel Mama's tummy as well and hers is mushy. It made me wonder if a firm tummy is a sign of cat pregnancy? 

I remember Mama did that when she was expecting Lookie. She started forcing my other cat to nurse a week or so before she had Lookie. But her nipples were full and leaking. If I am remembering correctly, Mama had Lookie 10 or 11 days after she started doing that. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A firm tummy could be indicative of pregnancy. Most pregnant cat tummies get firm. It will be a relief to know at some point soon!

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Agreed it will! I think Rory is nesting now as well. In my bedroom I have an oversized slider that leads out my our back patio. We have heavy curtains covering the slider to keep out light and heat. That is where she is nesting,, which is fine because it is secluded and warm  behind the curtains. She has her "crew" behind there with her. I put a few comfy boxes in the area to see if she will take to them, but so far no. When the time comes, I can always line the area with puppy pads or towels for easy clean up. 

I have to admit though, this is the first time I have seen a cat act pregnant without really looking pregnant lol. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Didn't you say that her sides were bigger? And if she is pregnant, she may only have one or two kittens gestating.

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is bigger all over yes. When the rescue received her she was very thin. She has filled out from getting plenty to eat. But, her tummy isn't overly big.

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Her other nipples are getting milk now. You can feel the full mammary glands, but her nipples are not overly dark or bigger yet.

She is also acting different at times. Wandering around all anxious, doesnt want to be touched, but then later being all lovey.I can tell by how she sits that she is uncomfortable.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Honestly, it sounds like she is getting very close to going into labor. Bless her heart.

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is what I am thinking too. Lady from rescue is coming over later to check her as well.

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of the ladies from the rescue came by. Rory was sound asleep with Lookie and the two foster kittens nursing away at the free milk bar. She went ahead and was petting/feeling gently around on that side and said she briefly felt a kitten. She woke Rory up so she could examine her better, so to speak and could not find anything until she got to the area where the nipples are and then she said she felt it again. Apparently it moved away each time lol. 

She is guessing it is just a small litter of kittens. Based on the behavior, etc she is guessing due very soon as well. I didn't know it was actually common for Mom cats to try to get other cats/kittens to nurse when they are close to having their kittens. Mama did do that with Lookie, but I had no idea it was actually common. She told me they see it quite a lot.  When I said I was all ready with the scale, etc. she looked at me as though I had grown two heads. Apparently that isn't common among the rescue group. lol 

I asked her about getting an x-ray or ultrasound and they don't do that. She said as long as things are progressing along normally, they just watch and wait. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the kittens are that low, they've probably dropped down near the birth canal in preparation for birth. There should be kittens soon! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope so! As long as they are full-term and ready. I did feel a kitten twice today. Once this afternoon while the older kittens were at the free milk bar I felt one on her side, but it literally moved away further down and into Rory. As it seems to have plenty of room, it must indeed be a small litter. Then later tonight, Rory was laying on her back letting me stroke her tummy and I a kitten in the area where the nipples are. That does seem pretty low to me. 

Although this is a surprise litter, I am feeling excited to be having tiny kittens in the house. Kind of a bonus in that I am not bottle feeding them every two hours and pottying, etc. lol I get to enjoy the kitten(s) while their mom does the work. The rescue asked me if the need arises, would I mind having a few extra kittens that need a mom cat. I told them that is fine with me as long as Rory isn't overwhelmed with too many kittens. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, wait and see how many Rory has first and what their weights are. It does sound like it may be a small litter, but time will tell. It's exciting! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Should I be concerned that Rory isn't really eating? She ate a little bit of soft food early this morning, a few minutes ago when I tried to feed her more, she ate two bites and that was it. 

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you. She has also been spending 99% of her time in the area she has chosen for her nest, so that makes sense.