Potential Purina One Cat Food Problem

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Iams is pretty junky to begin with, i would avoid weight control formulas as they utilize sawdust (celulose) and carbs to make cats feel full. Its a very small step up from cat chow but not by much. I'm not sure they still do it but one huge reason i tottaly stopped using iams is the cruilty to the dogs their labs. That and the menu foods recall after it made my friends dog go into kidney failure.
Oh my goodness - guess I'll send it back,I've not opened it up YET- maybe I'm better off going back to Science Diet- maybe the Metabolic formula - I've gotta do some math here to see what I can reasonably afford......

I've got one girl who can put on weight- they've all done so well on the Purina One so I've gotta really think about this one and do my due diligence

I'm seeing my Vet Friday ,I'll also get his feedback and see what he thinks

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don’t understand why these companies are allowed to get away with it. They should be shut down, fined!
im just so fed up with all the crap that’s being handled out to us from all directions!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t understand why these companies are allowed to get away with it. They should be shut down, fined!
im just so fed up with all the crap that’s being handled out to us from all directions!
I think we might have the FDA to blame- I don't know how these conglomerates get away with what they do.... or who us supposed to be inspecting but somebody's turning a blind eye

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Purina is basically the only thing Magnus will consistently eat. We haven't had any issues here.

My sister and my other friend haven't mentioned anything either. They feed exclusively Purina One hairball and senior respectively. Mine are on a variety.

If you do have trouble with the food it is important to call the company, and report it to your local food regulatory body (FDA for the US but Health Canada for Canadians. Unsure for other countries.)

The thread is old so any new issues should be brought to the attention of those places now. Issues come up. I'm sure we've all seen even the abundance of issues with human food in recent years (especially romane lettuce!).

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think we might have the FDA to blame- I don't know how these conglomerates get away with what they do.... or who us supposed to be inspecting but somebody's turning a blind eye
Yea someone’s getting paid to look the other way or they’re just too lazy to do their job!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Purina is basically the only thing Magnus will consistently eat. We haven't had any issues here.

My sister and my other friend haven't mentioned anything either. They feed exclusively Purina One hairball and senior respectively. Mine are on a variety.

If you do have trouble with the food it is important to call the company, and report it to your local food regulatory body (FDA for the US but Health Canada for Canadians. Unsure for other countries.)

The thread is old so any new issues should be brought to the attention of those places now. Issues come up. I'm sure we've all seen even the abundance of issues with human food in recent years (especially romane lettuce!).
I've been reading many recent consumer reports that local colleagues have sent me as they know I've fed Purina One for quite some time now- do you think it'd be a good idea to try to contact Purina regarding the concerns being reported or the FDA.....

I've had no complaints myself and don't want to have any in the future so I'm really very torn about switching to anything else- especially having 5 that actually like the food- what do you think?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've been reading many recent consumer reports that local colleagues have sent me as they know I've fed Purina One for quite some time now- do you think it'd be a good idea to try to contact Purina regarding the concerns being reported or the FDA.....

I've had no complaints myself and don't want to have any in the future so I'm really very torn about switching to anything else- especially having 5 that actually like the food- what do you think?
It's best that the person with the issues be the one to report. So I always just encourage people to make a call to Purina (or whoever the issue is with). I've made reports to Purina, Wellness and Merrick in the past. (Purina's dry food wasn't cut properly and they sent me something for a free bag).

Each cat is an individual and we can't know if there's an underlying condition going on that the food is aggravating in those cats (meaning the food is no longer suitable for those cats). For example Friskies works for many cats but it was too much sodium for Lily and dehydrated her.

To further that, we can't know if those making consumer reports take their cats to the vet regularly or get regular bloodwork. Then to even further that, the internet is always skewed to the negative. People with no issues aren't usually drawn towards making a consumer report in general.

There are so many people out there that are on Purina foods. So even if we were to think of Purina as not being suitable for 1 in 10 cats....that's a TON of cat owners no? I'd keep with what works Kwik Kwik . Don't stress yourself over it.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
It's best that the person with the issues be the one to report. So I always just encourage people to make a call to Purina (or whoever the issue is with). I've made reports to Purina, Wellness and Merrick in the past. (Purina's dry food wasn't cut properly and they sent me something for a free bag).

Each cat is an individual and we can't know if there's an underlying condition going on that the food is aggravating in those cats (meaning the food is no longer suitable for those cats). For example Friskies works for many cats but it was too much sodium for Lily and dehydrated her.

To further that, we can't know if those making consumer reports take their cats to the vet regularly or get regular bloodwork. Then to even further that, the internet is always skewed to the negative. People with no issues aren't usually drawn towards making a consumer report in general.

There are so many people out there that are on Purina foods. So even if we were to think of Purina as not being suitable for 1 in 10 cats....that's a TON of cat owners no? I'd keep with what works Kwik Kwik . Don't stress yourself over it.
Thank you so much- I'm not an Internet person but I did some looking around today regarding the links people sent me,I didn't find them very credible

I found unbiased ratings from accredited orgs and found above average mostly for the price category.....as a matter of fact the Purina One has less by products than the more expensive ProPlan

I will take your advice and not stress anymore .... Again,thank you for being the Voice of Reason - much appreciated❤

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Apparently it's not just limited to Purina One....I've been reading several consumer complaints on many different Purina products, including Fancy Feast canned, Pro Plan, and also not limited to cat food, but dog food as well. Strange that Purina has not come out with a statement! But now that this has come up, I, myself, have noticed that my own cats have be shying away from their "beloved" Fancy Feast canned food AND Pro Plan canned food, and maybe this is why! Darn, those were the only two wet foods they would generally eat
. I bought them a can of BG the other day, and they all four turned their noses up at it
Mine only eat the fancy feast and the gravies omgosh ,, and they are just so stinking peaky,, now I don't know what to do man!!!!!!!
Thanks for the heads up on this too....

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine only eat the fancy feast and the gravies omgosh ,, and they are just so stinking peaky,, now I don't know what to do man!!!!!!!
Thanks for the heads up on this too....
I've not heard anything lately regarding Fancy Feast although they seem to always be on the hot seat - I honestly cannot find anything to substantiate claims against them- I really can't,my cats eat the same thing yours do and I'm not going to stress about it anymore

My Vet has mentioned many times that the majority of his patients eat Fancy Feast,cats love it and he says ( x & x) are better quality foods but cats seem to do very well on Fancy Feast - so there's that

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you so much- I'm not an Internet person but I did some looking around today regarding the links people sent me,I didn't find them very credible

I found unbiased ratings from accredited orgs and found above average mostly for the price category.....as a matter of fact the Purina One has less by products than the more expensive ProPlan

I will take your advice and not stress anymore .... Again,thank you for being the Voice of Reason - much appreciated❤
Happy to help Kwik! I stressed so much about foods before. Now, honestly I just go with tried and true studied ingredients.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise

The menu foods recall was a real thing if thats what you found "not crediable"
Menu Foods Pet Food Recall

It was one of the biggest recalls in north america's history.

Im not sure I linked anything else but purina foods did make my cats puky in the past. I just don't trust them anymore.

It's no fun slipping in a pile of half digested food in the middle of the night and having to change your socks and pants.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's no fun slipping in a pile of half digested food in the middle of the night and having to change your socks and pants.
Definitely no fun at all! I had the same experience with Nobel and Wellness. 😨