Potential Purina One Cat Food Problem

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i use to feed my cats purina well from last year  i guess i was lucky no problems, but i have switch them to better food like blue buffalo and some felidae/evo but i have stop buying evo so buying felidae instead.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i use to feed my cats purina well from last year  i guess i was lucky no problems, but i have switch them to better food like blue buffalo and some felidae/evo but i have stop buying evo so buying felidae instead.
have you tried before grain dry? thats what i started my cats on no grain with and they did great on it:)

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
no i was clueless on cat food and just bought cheapest bag i could find until i found out how bad retail store brand is bad. i use to buy friskies, goodlife, purina, delicat, meow mix. never knew all those grains were bad

sammythecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well i'm glad my cat doesn't like Purina after all! Never heard about them dying before though, 

pyewacket7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My neighbor gave me a large bag of Purina complete cat food,and I used some of it only because I was low and hadn't been to the store so I mixed it with the food I had left to stretch it....WHAT A  nightmare, I have 8 cats,they are all sick,from vomiting,to bloody diarrhea, mouth ulcers,inflamed gums,lethargy,one couldn't even walk,just fell over,and my one sweet kitty of ten years has a kidney the size of a golf ball,the largest kidney in a cat my vet has ever seen......but looking at her blood work the vet said if she had only done blood work and not an X ray she would have said this was a healthy cat...I am struggling right now to keep my cats hydrated,the vet suggested I put the one with the enlarged kidney down,I brought her home,I did get her to eat some tuna,and I am giving her fluids.....Will post a follow up and let you know how my 8 kitties are doing....Prayers please.......DO NOT FEED YOUR PETS ANY PURINA PRODUCTS,even if you have fed this food before and had no issues,it's only a matter of time....

luci and alice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Until a couple of days ago I fed my girls the Purina naturals.  I fed them from a brand new bag on Thursday before going to visit my family for Thanksgiving.  

Friday morning, I noticed that Luci had vomited in the hall and I figured that she had a hairball.  By Friday night, she still was not feeling better and was still vomiting and not eating.  

Saturday I left for work and when I got home, she had vomited more all over the house.  Alice had vomited once, and refused to touch the food anymore.  I gave them canned tuna, because I thought that they were being fussy about the food.  Alice gobbled it up, but Luci still would not eat.  I decided to take her to the vet Monday and get her checked out, bought new food of another brand.  

Sunday night, Luci was extremely lethargic, still vomiting all the water she drank, and could barely walk.  I took her to the 24 hour emergency animal hospital where they took x-rays and blood tests.  She was dehydrated, her kidneys were shutting down, and the levels of everything in her blood were all out of the healthy range.  The people at the hospital told me that it did not look like she would live, and would try putting her on fluids and antibiotics to see if that would help.  I did not have enough money for the full 3 day treatment, so I decided to keep her alive until I could bring my daughter over to say goodbye the next day.  

Yesterday morning, they called and told me that Luci was doing better!  Whatever was in her system was being flushed out.  I went to visit her and brought my daughter.  It was amazing how much she had perked up!  I talked to the vet and she said that the culprit was most likely from the food and that I needed to switch it to something else and not to let my other cat eat it either.

I just got back from visiting Luci today, she is much better and was giving me kisses.  I am so glad that I was able to get her treated in time.  

I am horrified to think that a brand of food that I have trusted and fed all of my cats my whole life could have taken her away from us.  Please, if your cat is starting to show any of these signs, get them to the vet immediately.  

warrenk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Until a couple of days ago I fed my girls the Purina naturals. I fed them from a brand new bag on Thursday before going to visit my family for Thanksgiving.

Friday morning, I noticed that Luci had vomited in the hall and I figured that she had a hairball. By Friday night, she still was not feeling better and was still vomiting and not eating.

Saturday I left for work and when I got home, she had vomited more all over the house. Alice had vomited once, and refused to touch the food anymore. I gave them canned tuna, because I thought that they were being fussy about the food. Alice gobbled it up, but Luci still would not eat. I decided to take her to the vet Monday and get her checked out, bought new food of another brand.

Sunday night, Luci was extremely lethargic, still vomiting all the water she drank, and could barely walk. I took her to the 24 hour emergency animal hospital where they took x-rays and blood tests. She was dehydrated, her kidneys were shutting down, and the levels of everything in her blood were all out of the healthy range. The people at the hospital told me that it did not look like she would live, and would try putting her on fluids and antibiotics to see if that would help. I did not have enough money for the full 3 day treatment, so I decided to keep her alive until I could bring my daughter over to say goodbye the next day.

Yesterday morning, they called and told me that Luci was doing better! Whatever was in her system was being flushed out. I went to visit her and brought my daughter. It was amazing how much she had perked up! I talked to the vet and she said that the culprit was most likely from the food and that I needed to switch it to something else and not to let my other cat eat it either.

I just got back from visiting Luci today, she is much better and was giving me kisses. I am so glad that I was able to get her treated in time.

I am horrified to think that a brand of food that I have trusted and fed all of my cats my whole life could have taken her away from us. Please, if your cat is starting to show any of these signs, get them to the vet immediately.
THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE PURINA CAT FOOD, TWO CATS WITH THE SAME PROBLEM,
ONE IS NOT DOING WELL, KIDNEYS WERE SHUTTING DOWN, THE OTHER IS ABOUT TO HAVE A MAJOR OPERATION
I'LL KEEP YOU INFORM

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The big companies seem to be changing the ingredients so they can save money. I’ve noticed the past month or so some of my cats seem to vomit and sometimes I can see a fur ball…it’s so hard to find a decent food for animals without a lot of “fillers”. And i dont know why some have to put food coloring in their dry foods either…the cats don’t care……
thanks for passing this info along

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Purina Fancy Feast reviews and complaints- it's mixed between killed my cat and my loves it and does well on it.

ninja jen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Purina one dry cat food - indoor advantage, salmon. I used to avoid Purina. However, I have had my cat on this brand all year without issue...Until now. Unfortunately I didn't notice him avoiding it soon enough because he eats wet and dry. He has been extra hungry and upset stomach with vomit. He is a bit of a fat cat so I thought maybe he ate something else bad and he can be picky... Alas, no, he is nosing up at the same dry (Purina One) he has ate all year without issue. I thought this particular Purina brand would be of better quality than cheaper versions. I am fustrated as I thought I found a new quality, go-to food. Previously changing from Blue Buffalo, dry Salmon cat food for similar nose up issues after being on it for years. My cat seems to know to stop eating it at some point. Waste of money and the lingering despair of what did I feed my poor baby? The never ending search for decent cat food is ridiculous. I won't be picky, it doesn't even need to be the highest quality, butcher block ingredients... for Heaven's sakes could I please just get some cat food that isn't poison?! Much love to anyone with my struggle too!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
My old cat got pukey on purina foods so I try to avoid them. Not sure if it was beyond or one but kinda think it may have been beyond

I used to feed cat/kitten chow a long time ago but stopped when i realized how much chemicals and yucky stuff was in it.

Last edited:

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I fully agree it’s very aggravating and stressful trying to find a decent cat food whether it’s dry or wet food. The small cans of fancy feast use to be halfway decent up until a few years back when they started adding spinach and rice and potatoes, all kinds of vegetables that cats don’t normally eat just so they can make their big PROFITS! And I don’t understand why these companies have to put food coloring in the dry food, the cats don’t give a hoot what color it is. I’ve been going back-and-forth. I’ve tried the expensive cans (two dollars a can). My cats won’t need it. I tried to give them a little bit mixed in with their regular food, and they can tell and half the time they won’t eat it, I’m stuck with Friskies wet food. My cats don’t like the chicken so they’re eating turkey or beef and I know they’re getting sick of the two flavors but they won’t eat pate.
It’s Crazy……

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are actualy partialy colour blind. They add it so it looks pretty to people. Cats dont give a cats butt about how it looks. The chemicals are to keep it from going bad. Really its all about how cheap they can make it and mask the eddable cardboard purina calls food. Yes there is paper/sawdust in some of their food. Celulose is a loose term that can include sawdust.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep in mind that this is an old topic that was started in 2011. The last post, prior to yesterday, was two years ago.

The last time any Purina brand cat food has been recalled was in Feb. 2023, ten months or almost a year ago. (From today, 12/24/23.)

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for pointing out that (old post) I need to get in the habit of checking the date, when something was posted

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
So I feed Purina One but a few friends besides on TCS keep bringing up the recent Purina One( dry foods) recalls and consumer complaints - normally I don't pay much attention to things from the Internet,I get monthly journals that I subscribe to regarding " animals,health & medical info,updates etc" but this controversy has just given me pause- for whatever reasons?You know when something just rubs you the wrong way,gut,instinct,bad feeling?

Anyway,affordability factors in now that I'm on a fixed income & have 5 to feed & provide for( forget the Vet bills!!!!! Oi vey!) I've decided on Iams weight & hairball control kibble- seems pretty good and a bit expensive but not ridiculous.....I'm just hoping they'll like it as much as they like the Purina One... Any opinions on the Iams?I do value all of your input ....

IndyJones IndyJones Caspers Human Caspers Human everyone?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Iams is pretty junky to begin with, i would avoid weight control formulas as they utilize sawdust (celulose) and carbs to make cats feel full. Its a very small step up from cat chow but not by much. I'm not sure they still do it but one huge reason i tottaly stopped using iams is the cruilty to the dogs their labs. That and the menu foods recall after it made my friends dog go into kidney failure.