Potential Purina One Cat Food Problem

lynn93940

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So... if not Purina, then what?  What can I feed my older cat that is affordable, and healthy?  I can't afford a bag of $15.00 (or higher) cat food every two weeks.  It's all well and good to tell us not to feed Purina, and why, but it's affordable.  If not Purina, then what?  This is not helpful.

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feed my cats Purina ONE for kittens.

My old cat does well on it. She is thin but holding her own.

She also eats two cans of wet, just Fancy Feast and Friskies. Nothing fancy.

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So... if not Purina, then what?  What can I feed my older cat that is affordable, and healthy?  I can't afford a bag of $15.00 (or higher) cat food every two weeks.  It's all well and good to tell us not to feed Purina, and why, but it's affordable.  If not Purina, then what?  This is not helpful.
Check out Chicken Soup For The Soul or Taste of the Wild. Much better foods, around the same price range.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But ask yourself what's worse? A $15 bag of cat food or a $500 bill when your cat gets sick? And this isn't just about cats getting sick, this is about cats dying. It's always good to err on the side of caution and at least temporarily switch to another brand. :nod:

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's being reported through several venues that cat owners are seeing their cats sicken and (in some cases) die while eating Purina One cat kibble. The initial symptoms seem to be vomiting, lack of appetite, increased thirst, and diarrhea, eventually progressing to intermittent weakness of back legs, lethargy and worse. Blood tests aren't picking anything up during initial stages, but whatever is happening seems to be affecting the liver and kidneys of the cats.

I don't normally give a heads-up on warnings like this, but this seems to be effecting enough cat owners that it warrants a mention for those feeding Purina One.

From "Pictures of Cats": Potential Purina One Cat Food Problem

From "Heart of a Healer":  WARNING: Purina pet food has started making pets ill

Here's hoping none of our wonderful TCS kitties are affected!!!!!

AC
WOW!  I have not seen or heard about any of this yet.  I'll have to really put my ear to the ground on this and see what I can find.  Thanks for the heads up!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry you don't find a warning that a food may be making cats sick helpful. :(

If you're feeding it, and it's not making your cats sick, then apparently there's not an issue for you. :dk: This same warning was posted in other places by a number of people. Some DID have sick kitties. They switched food, and the problems stopped.

If you want help finding another food, feel free to start a thread asking for help in identifying affordable choices. The members here are happy to help.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you don't find a warning that a food may be making cats sick helpful.

If you're feeding it, and it's not making your cats sick, then apparently there's not an issue for you.
This same warning was posted in other places by a number of people. Some DID have sick kitties. They switched food, and the problems stopped.
If you want help finding another food, feel free to start a thread asking for help in identifying affordable choices. The members here are happy to help.
Having worked in this industry for nearly 6 years now I take every bit of buzz about this type of situation seriously.  I will read the blogs about the issue and will usually take them with a grain of salt because they are personal blogs and usually I've found that the posters are mistaken, or misinformed or it's just an unsubstantiated rumor.  But not always.  And it's the "not always" that keeps me on my toes with these things.  If the original poster is feeding the food and the kitties are not sick she is lucky and it probably is not an issue for them.  But as you said, whatever the question is;  TCSers are always willing to help.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The date this thread was started is not relevant.
The complaints about sick animals are still coming in.
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/ralston.html
Thanks for posting this link.  I read several pages of it.  It seems like there is more problem with the dog food.  I have a cat that eats Purina Cat Chow Complete.  Now I am thinking I need to make a change.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! Long time member returning to post about my cats. My gut tells me it was Purina Beyond One that turned my healthy senior cats into sick ones.

I have 5 cats. 3/5 have developed health issues.

Benson & Spunky started urinating on the sofa/couch about a month after the switch. Eventually Benson's urine came back and he was diagnosed with UTI. Him and Spunky went on antibiotics. Benson had it for two weeks. Things were fine for a few months then someone was peeing now and then around the house. It took months for the cat to pee in front of us. It was Benson again. Back on antibiotics. There were two different areas being peed on. The back cushion and the seat cushion. Benson doesn't squat to pee. Once he is on meds pee shows up on the seat cushion. Spunky is then found pooping on the couch. This has been on/off 1.5 now.

Cello who was suspected to have some bowel disorder many years ago is suddenly going outside of the box. He never went solid but he always went in the box. Even if I skipped a scooping. It's starting to look like there is blood. The stools are dark. Blood work comes back and everything is fine. Spunky and Benson are tag teaming on the couch every now and then. It's sporadic but it was still happening.

Cello goes on IBD medicine. Everything is fine. We stop the steroids and keep the IBD meds going as planned. Few weeks later he isn't eating. He is losing weight. Call the house vet. He lost 4 lbs and dehydrate. He is back on the steroids and slowly eating again. Meanwhile Spunky stops eating. It took awhile for the 3 of us to compare notes. Spunky doesn't eat for me. Hubby feeds AM and Mom in the pm. One day Mom and Hubby starting asking who is feeding Spunky b/c they aren't. We call the ER vet and it's bad. $3600 and 5 days in the ER bad.

Spunky is home on a feeding tube. I don't think he is going to make it. Noon is when he looks as if he is getting better then pm he looks like death is knocking. It's pulling at our heart strings. He has fatty liver disease from unknown causes which apparently is the norm.

Cello is fighting on eating again. I gave him something to stimulate his appetite.

1.5 years back and forth with mild issues to the severe. I had them on Purina Beyond One. By the time we figured out which cat was urinating on the couch they were on it for months. No one thought it was the food. NOTHING else changed. No plants, chemicals, strays etc. We went down the list. One night I was thinking back and really truly feel the changed started with the dry food switch. I introduced it slowly, mixing it with their other food. Could be the reason it took awhile to affect them.

I decided to switch them back to their old dry food, but limit how much is out during the day. I felt dry food in general was bothering the UTI boys. The two with UTI's were on 90% dry 10% wet by their choice. I went back to mixing the two dry foods until it was all new.

When UTI came around I went cold turkey on the dry food. I still felt it was the issue and didn't want anything to do with it. When I trashed the remains a few months later (I had the container hidden), I discovered some Beyond One was still mixed in the container.

So 1.5 years later with a cat dying I am googling Purina and illness in animals. The hits I am finding. I didn't find any when this started. This thread of course pops up.

How in the world will any of us figure this out? The dry food has been long gone from my house. I only have my gut instincts. Nothing conclusive is showing on the blood work. I have expressed my opinions to all vets treating my animals.

Something has to be done. Not when an animal dies and a pet owner is left wondering.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry this is happening to your precious cats. Please save the packaging and contact Purina. They probably won't do anything, but it's got to start somewhere. Look how long it has taken for those jerky treats to be pulled. YEARS, dogs have been dying for YEARS and it is only now that they are being pulled.

People need to save the packaging and make the complaints to Purina. So many, so many postings on this site for instance, but they don't contact the company and they don't save the food or the packaging:

I'm so sorry.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry :(
:hugs:

Make that compaint to Purina AND the FDA.

Also, IMHO I would just cut the dry food and go wet only..... and for your IBD kiddo, probably grain free wet only - I bet it will do them a World of good. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I threw the dry food bag away over a year ago. I was storing it in a rubbermaid container.

I did submit a complaint without the bag information. I agree we have to start complaining and getting the word out.

lawrence

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

This was Cleo 11yrs old died Wed Mar 27 9:35 AM she was a very active cat feed her Purina one indoor formula she was never sick from what I could see from her everything started going down hill on the 19 0f Mar 2013 she was sleeping more that normal she was getting lethrgic would not eat or drink water took her to the vet she had a 104 temp vet said she had a thoat problem that was wrong she started getting worse took her back temp droped down to 95 this is when thing started very bad the vet should of took her in normal temp for a cat is about 101 I did not know this after the fact took her home again had to bring her back the next day now her temp was 93 she looked like she was going into a coma they finaly took blood and thats when I got the devastating results she had acute renal failure glucose was 666 and very high white blood count they tried to say her but it was too late she was a major part of my life too young to go.

My question is what can be done about this senseless loss of a family member over a miss leading product that inturn will kill your loved one I myself want this product banned so thie does not happen again

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry this is happening to your precious cats. Please save the packaging and contact Purina. They probably won't do anything, but it's got to start somewhere. Look how long it has taken for those jerky treats to be pulled. YEARS, dogs have been dying for YEARS and it is only now that they are being pulled.

People need to save the packaging and make the complaints to Purina. So many, so many postings on this site for instance, but they don't contact the company and they don't save the food or the packaging:

I'm so sorry.
Actually this website might possibly not be the best source of information for ANY consumer to reference. The um... tactics for trying to strong arm the pet food industry into advertising with them have now come under the microscope. Even Susan Thixton is beginning to see the light on this questionable source of information. The website you have posted not once, but twice in this thread is a privately owned, monetized website that makes money on fear. Susan Thixton called them on it and this is what she got in return: http://truthaboutpetfood2.com/consumer-affairs-threats-of-lawyers-to-truthaboutpetfood-com

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so so sorry!

Spreading the word is the only thing you can do. I spoke to 3 vets and the ER vet. No none has heard any ill word about purina CAT food. They all agree to stay away from any food NOT made in the US. Educated your friends/family.

How long what your cat eating this food? My gut tells me this is how we lost Spunky. Nothing showed up in the blood work. I didn't do an autopsy. Every vet I spoke to said the results are instant if the food is tainted. I think it's BS and whatever caused it this time builds up over time to cause issues.

I wish we had answers. *hugs*

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apparently it's not just limited to Purina One....I've been reading several consumer complaints on many different Purina products, including Fancy Feast canned, Pro Plan, and also not limited to cat food, but dog food as well.  Strange that Purina has not come out with a statement!  But now that this has come up, I, myself, have noticed that my own cats have be shying away from their "beloved" Fancy Feast canned food AND Pro Plan canned food, and maybe this is why!  Darn, those were the only two wet foods they would generally eat
.  I bought them a can of BG the other day, and they all four turned their noses up at it
I know a dog that eats beniful <by pro plan and he keeps getting kidney issues wen that was i was feeding it to Brisk also had issues so i took my dogs off they have not had a problem but the other poor dog is still on it i keep telling them to stop feeding it but they ant listening to me :/

and wen my cats was eating friskies dry 3 of my cats was showing illness on it so i switched them to a no grain and took the rest and put them on a dye free since they was acting fine now they are on a NG switch 

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is anyone else having kidney or liver issues with cats eating any Purina products? The complaints about the dog food is exploding. Many owners have gone to the media locally.