Post pictures of your precious Blue / Gray / Maltese cats here!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

Paper mache....   

I just had another idea for a catcave!  
    I need to find a source of old newspapers as never get any my self, but sure my mom does so will have to ask her to save some for me.  

Maybe need to ask her if I can make the mess in her place too given not much room here. 
   (She only moved a month or so ago and her place is super pristine newly decorated and all new carpet - but it is huge!)    If the paper mache cave works I'll post about it for sure.
Paper mache tip for you.

You need a big bowl like an old baby bath so that you can lie the sheets of newspaper out flat to soak. Leave them to soak for a couple of days so that when you try to pick them up they just disintegrate. When it's soft enough put the handfuls of newspaper through a food blender so that it turns to mush. If you mix a water based paper glue in with it the paper mache will set really hard. We used to mix that clear jelly-like glue kids use in primary school with it.

I helped make a huge paper mache dragon sculpture for Glastonbury festival one year, that was fun!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Paper mache tip for you.

You need a big bowl like an old baby bath so that you can lie the sheets of newspaper out flat to soak. Leave them to soak for a couple of days so that when you try to pick them up they just disintegrate. When it's soft enough put the handfuls of newspaper through a food blender so that it turns to mush. If you mix a water based paper glue in with it the paper mache will set really hard. We used to mix that clear jelly-like glue kids use in primary school with it.

I helped make a huge paper mache dragon sculpture for Glastonbury festival one year, that was fun!
   Nice tip @Norachan.   This definitely sounds like a great project to do at my mom's nice new apartment. 
    I'm sure she will want Mouse to have a lovely new Mouse-nest and she will fully understand the risks of a Mouse and a large baby bath or similar of mashed up paper and glue.

Well, maybe not, but I can always ask. 

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Paper mache tip for you.

I'm sure that's the best way to do it, but.... ugh! I always used to hate doing paper mache because of the feel of the sloppy, slimy glue :nausea: I much prefer cleaner crafts (clay/pottery was always great fun though...)

Last edited:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I'm sure that's the best way to do it, but.... ugh! I always used to hate doing paper mache because of the feel of the sloppy, slimy glue
I much prefer cleaner crafts (clay/pottery was always great fun though...)
I never got to do any of that and the idea of paper mache is really yucky to me. I prefer even cleaner craft than that which is why I do water colors, even oils are too messy for me.

Is there a thread or something where we can show off our handicrafts even if it's needle work, baking, wood work, jewelry, whatever? It doesn't have to have something to do with cats.

magiksgirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Is there a thread or something where we can show off our handicrafts even if it's needle work, baking, wood work, jewelry, whatever? It doesn't have to have something to do with cats.
I've seen this place before called "Social Groups"  and there's many groups for things like home improvement, football teams and crafting, though I noticed there's not a lot of activity there.

http://www.thecatsite.com/groups/

"Yarn" "http://www.thecatsite.com/groups/show/161/yarn-it-all  Last updated July 2012 and February 2015

"Artists" last updated  December 2013

Maybe it would be best to revive or make threads for the activities we like in The Cat Lounge, currently we have the "Adult COloring Books" thread there. Maybe it would be a good idea to ask a mod what we can do about it 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@MagiksGirl  , You are right with there being a number of social groups set up on the site, but there are also quite a few threads about different interests - Columbine has shared a great thread link in her post above.    The creative and art type threads are mostly appropriate to set up in the lounge.    Of course any creations showing off our blue and gray kitties are also very welcome to be shown off here in this thread too.  

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Haha, thank you <3 It also suits her birthday, as she was born on Valentine's day ^^
Excellent!   Is she kitten from one of your cats or have you brought her home recently?   She looks like a real heart-stopper - super pretty face never mind the fluffy white bib n paws routine.   She's like a chocolate box kitten!

magiksgirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Excellent!   Is she kitten from one of your cats or have you brought her home recently?   She looks like a real heart-stopper - super pretty face never mind the fluffy white bib n paws routine.   She's like a chocolate box kitten!
Haha thank you! I really like her too, so pretty I'm so proud of her! I got her from Russia 2 months ago, she'll be joining our breeding program in the future :)

[quote name="MagiksGirl"]
Awww, she's such a beautiful girl! and has a very expressive face! :catguy:
[/quote]

Thank you =^^=

cassey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Benji's so cute and furry! How old is he? how did your friend find Benji? What is Benji like? 
They found Benji in their workplace yesterday. It is construction area. He is adorable. They sent him for a good warm shower already.

cassey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise