Possible resorption?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, if the larger ones are eating well on their own you can stop the syringe with them. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sad news today. One of our gray male kittens who we were callin Dirty suddenly began showing signs of FIP. I wouldn't make a kitten suffer trough attempted treatment that won't work and the vet agreed and we made the call to let him go. She couldn't get a catheter in so she used an inhalent anasthetic and injected into his heart.

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The others are all acting fine and d eating happily. In worried about Tiny because he's so small and he always has a big round belly. It does get small a few hours after eating so I hope he just has a good appetite... I can't afford to do that again. It was 250 dollars and just about all my brain's spoons to do that.

I really hope Tiny doesn't have it. Is there any way to tell if there's fluid in a cats lungs? I have a stethoscope.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A round tummy in kittens does not mean illness. Healthy kittens often have big tummies until they grow. Or it can simply mean they need worming.

What symptoms was the kitten who passed having?

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The onset of symptoms was very sudden. He had been eating a little less than normal and he hadn't had an observed bowel movement yeaterday, but he was in no distress until he vomited up a meal and then immediately began to breathe through his mouth and cry.

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Everything they do seems suspicious now. For example: They're sleepy, but are they too sleepy or just in a food coma? Are they just tired or are they lethargic? Are they not hungry because they just ate two hours ago or because they feel sick? x_x (Those aren't real questions but just an example of how I feel.)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I understand. It's hard to discern sometimes. But kittens do sleep a lot. You'll know if they are sick!

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately Tiny is now having difficulty breathing. I might need a break from kittens for a while after this. It's hitting me hard, and I barely have any money.

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tiny went to the clinic and then to the bridge. I don't have the resources to care for all te rest if they get sick so our (wonderful) humane society will be getting them when they open in 40 minutes. I'm definitely going to take a break from kittens for a while after this. I need to recover both my funds and my sanity.

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You did all you could for them and they couldn't have had a better start. Give yourself a nice treat when you can, you deserve it.

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have suggestions for cleaning the house? How long can the mutated form survive outside the body? What disinfectants will kill it?

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes. All three vets that I talked to were certain it was FIP.

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What are the chances that my other cats have been infected? I have fosters that I keep separate. Is it possible that Dirty and Tiny only got sick because they were genetically predisposed? The fosters are acting fine but so was Tiny just an hour before he started gasping.

I'm officially paranoid and anxious about everything now. can the mutated form spread or only the standard corona virus?

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wanted to say how sorry for your loss I am. We have kittens just 2 days older and I have been watching your thread all along .
You have done a wonderful thing for the mumma cat and her babies. I have no usefull info about fip it is distemper?? That can live a long time . I am sorry that you need to worry about that with what you have been through ,wish I could come clean with you, bleach 10 % or vinager full strength should work on surfaces.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
chipmunk-kim chipmunk-kim

According to Cornell University, FIP is passed from mother to kittens in utero. It is not highly contagious (as is distemper), but can remain in the environment for a few weeks. It is found primarily in saliva and feces.

It is advisable to use Clorox bleach and water to clean all surfaces where cats/kittens have been, food and water dishes, carriers, and litter boxes, and to wash all bedding in hot water.

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It may make more sense to move this to the foster journal now. The remaining kittens have were put into the foster department at our shelter, and they suggested that we foster them. Because they can now provide the vet care through the VCA clinic, I am fostering the five kittens that are left. Mom-cat was placed in the cattery on the spay list, but she was done producing milk anyway and will be adopted soon.

Currently, I'm keeping the five kittens separate of course, and keeping a close eye on them. The vet at the shelter said they all appeared healthy and had no fluid in their abdomens or lungs, so I'm hopeful that they will be fine.