Possible resorption?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone. Just wanted to update you all.
Six of the kittens are nearly 275 grams, but the tiny runt, despite be supplementing and rotating, is only 155 grams. For a few days he doesn't gain, and then he has bursts of growth. He's active, loud when he's hungry, latches on great, and defends his chosen nipple really well, but he's just not putting on weight like the others. For the last few days I've been giving him nutrical, so hopefully that'll help him fatten up. He's super wiggly and hates the syringe these days, but what can you do.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's great! The nutrical is a good idea. How much and how often are you supplementing?

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm supplementing him every two hours. And I give him a half hour afterwards to be alone with mom and his sister who is also a little small.

I don't know if I said this, but there's five boys and two girls. I'll try to get some pics soon.

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll get some pics in a few minutes.

Last edited:

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
These pics have all of them together, just because they're so cute in a big pile. I'll take some individual pictures when she's done here and I separate the rotations again.

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi chipmunk kim , I am new to the cat site but I just wanted to say that my favorite pet ever was a runt. I got her from a neighbor who actually like to let her moggie longhaired medsized calico have a litter or two a year, she I am sure never weighed supplemented or rotated the kits. Mine was an black short hair half the size of her one calico sister and 6 red tabby brothers, she was a lovley pet if a bit likely to kneed and suck thing for the frist year, very heathy never more tha 7 pounds.Having read the thread sound like your doing a great job just worry less[emoji]128522[/emoji]

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Here's the two black kittens. One boy and one girl. The boy has white on his neck and tummy, the female is all black. The other five kittens are all gray.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are very cute! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

The little runt may catch up down the road!

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The runt is only 225 grams at four weeks. Otherwise he seems healthy, at least. Momcat has stopped producing milk so we're now supplementing with A/D urgent care in 10ml oral syringes. They get sticky after a while even with regular cleaning. Any tricks for keeping the plunger gliding smoothly?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's tiny! Not quite 8 ounces. The size of a 2-week-old.

Can you also give all of them KMR with a syringe or bottle? At 4 weeks they still need it, especially the runt!

Does the plunger come apart for cleaning?

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes they still get KMR. The plunger does come apart so I do wash and dry it. Should I let it air dry?

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They won't take KMR from the bottle, so we have to use the syringe. Which is also why I don't want it sticking. I'd prefer not to give them a bath in their formula.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't blame you!

I would let it air dry. You may also need a new one. They just don't seem to last long with constant use.

Last edited:

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The plungers do stick after a while, really no helping that. I am sorry to hear mom isn't producing milk, but glad that they'll be hopefully receiving more food now from you. That runt is super tiny still. Soon they'll be able to drink their milk from a dish, which will make your life easier. 

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think Tiny was born premature, maybe conceived last. The others were all a great birth weight. They have had nice teeth for maybe ten days while his only broke through a couple days ago. He was 75g at birth.

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The largest four eat their gruel from a plate. Is it best to stop offering the syringe to these big ones if they have learned to eat properly? The smaller ones are more reluctant, and I will continue supplementing them regardless, but seven kittens is a lot of work so i hope to be able to reduce the hard-core stuff to just three.