PLZ help, Tigger may die tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no advice just wanted to send ((((( hugs))))) to you & (((((healing vibes))))) to Tigs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andre75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks to all. Tiggs can surely use your good vibes right now. Thanks also to Hissy for your points. I will make sure to think about them carefully. Those are really good questions.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wish I could do more, but it is an individual decision in the end, however it goes. There are several articles on the main part of the website under health that deal with this issue and give you guidance about how to go about making the best decision. Tigger sounds incredibly strong, as you do as well. This is going to sap both of you emotionally and physically. It is grueling for you to struggle with and difficult for Tigger to deal with because he is confused by the pain.

http://www.thecatsite.com/Care/127/W...y-Goodbye.html
http://www.thecatsite.com/Care/28/Wh...-Decision.html

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is a really good sign that he is eating and drinking. I could really tell when my kitty was ready to go because he wouldn't even let me force feed him.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I think it is a really good sign that he is eating and drinking. I could really tell when my kitty was ready to go because he wouldn't even let me force feed him.
Mouse was the same - stopped eating & drinking...

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I had to make the hard decision to send my beloved 18 year old Fred to the Bridge, it was the most difficult thing I have ever done. We had made the decision to let him go once, since he began having seizures, and seemed to be fading fast. Then he perked up for quite awhile, like he wanted to spend some quality time with us before he had to go. Every day was a gift. He was a tough old guy with a lot of fight in him, but when he ran out, he went downhill quickly. He lived with FIV, symptom free for many years, and since he was a lover not a fighter when it came to the other cats in the house, he never passed it on.
I hope Tigger can overcome whatever is making him so ill, and have a long happy time with you, and that when his time comes, you will have the strength to make that hard decision.

andre75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just got of the phone with the Vet. Tiggs had a seizure, but just one. He has been giving them quite a run for their money when they gave him the meds and he even got a technician on the hand.
They could keep him over night but noone will be there after 7pm. He is in a Cage and he is not going to be happy there. Transfering him each day doesnt make him very happy either, but I could manage. Only the stress of transferal seems to cause seizures too.
On the other hand, I am not sure if I can handle him correctly in his current condition and force the meds on him if he has become this much resistant.
The vet I had on the phone today said he wants to give it 48 to 72 hours to find out if the meds are finally showing signs of improvement. He wants Tigger to have at least this much time and I think he may be right.
I know he would be happier at home and I know he has his good moments at home. Its a lot of stress for us and Tina and I would have a very hard time handling his meds.
What would you do in a similar situation?

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by andre75

I just got of the phone with the Vet. Tiggs had a seizure, but just one. He has been giving them quite a run for their money when they gave him the meds and he even got a technician on the hand.
They could keep him over night but noone will be there after 7pm. He is in a Cage and he is not going to be happy there. Transfering him each day doesnt make him very happy either, but I could manage. Only the stress of transferal seems to cause seizures too.
On the other hand, I am not sure if I can handle him correctly in his current condition and force the meds on him if he has become this much resistant.
The vet I had on the phone today said he wants to give it 48 to 72 hours to find out if the meds are finally showing signs of improvement. He wants Tigger to have at least this much time and I think he may be right.
I know he would be happier at home and I know he has his good moments at home. Its a lot of stress for us and Tina and I would have a very hard time handling his meds.
What would you do in a similar situation?
I think this is something you have to decide.

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he would probably be happier at home, but if you are unable to medicate him then I say he needs vet care. I would be soo scared of missing a dose, or not being able to give it to him. Could you possibly bring him home in the evenings? Since no one will be around at the vets anyway? Just a suggestion
I really,really,really,really,really hope these meds work for him! He's such a good boy, despite all this he's going through. Many hugs and prayers to ya'll

andre75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I could bring him home. Thats what I have been doing for the past two days, but he gets more and more upset during the transfers and had a really bad time yesterday after getting home. It took between two to three hours until he finally settled down a bit and didn't have seizures.
That was my only reason for asking the vet.
I don't like to transfer him so I am thinking about where to keep him.
Indeed he is a good boy. During his better moments he comes up to us and seems to want to calm US down. Never knew my little boy could be such a gentle and tough guy at the same time.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Years and years ago, I had a puppy who was hit by a car. He stayed at the vet, and died alone overnight. I'm not saying for sure to bring Tigger home, but at least if he passes tonight, it would be at home.

On the other hand, you certainly can keep him at the vet due to the concerns about increasing seizures when he is moved. Is there a way you could visit him there tonight, and then in the morning? That might be easier on him than moving him, since it seems to bring on the seizures.

It comes down to listening to your heart...try to get real calm, and settled, and think deep down inside, what feels like the right thing to do based on all the info you have, including your needs, Tigger's needs, and Tina's needs. You saw him last night, would it be better for him to rest at the vets?

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Becky - I would personally bring him home if you think you can handle it (as can he)... especially since he will be there by himself after 7pm. I could imagine this is likely to cause him alot of stress being alone?

but yes, only you can make the decision based on what is going on.... I am truely thinking of you all at this time - thankyou for the continued updates. Many people from all over the world are thinking of sir Tiggs right now

andre75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Allright. Thanks guys. We decided to bring him home tonight. I will go to the vet and check out how he is being medicated. If I think I can manage I will try tomorrow morning, otherwise bring him in again. I know its a lot of stress for him either way (staying or transporting) but if I cannot pull it off I have to do it anyways.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just finished reading this thread... Poor Tigger. He seems to be such a fighter, though...

What would I do? I'd give him a bit more of a chance, until I could see whether the meds worked... then if they didn't, talk to the vet, talk to family, and then make my decision... It all depends on what the problem is, and the vet doesn't know that yet.

I sure hope he gets well. He's such a beautiful cat...

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Callista

I just finished reading this thread... Poor Tigger. He seems to be such a fighter, though...

What would I do? I'd give him a bit more of a chance, until I could see whether the meds worked... then if they didn't, talk to the vet, talk to family, and then make my decision... It all depends on what the problem is, and the vet doesn't know that yet.

I sure hope he gets well. He's such a beautiful cat...
Yes he does. Am waiting in hopes I hear some good news..

andre75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am videotaping him now. Hopefully I can get some input later. Ever since he got home he is obsessively licking himself. Never stops longer than a few seconds and it looks obsessive compulsive. Seems his nervous system really took a hit. He was similar yesterday, but with more seasures and less licking I guess. He is supposed to be sedated from the medicine. No sign yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.