Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

andre75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by momof3rugratz

A sock filled with rice and put in the mic for a few sec to heat up then placed under there blanket. I heps with babies and moms who are nervous or just need some love. I here it stays warm for hours.
I have the heater on and the window open, so he can stay near the warmth while we are not burning up. He is not laying down though, stumbling around restlessly. He is trying to get outside of the room. Makes it really hard for us to enter and leave.

eupnea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by andre75

I have the heater on and the window open, so he can stay near the warmth while we are not burning up. He is not laying down though, stumbling around restlessly. He is trying to get outside of the room. Makes it really hard for us to enter and leave.
I'd consider that a good sign. If he has the will/strength/desire to try and get out of the room, then he is not giving up on life just yet!

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Poor baby. I am off to sleep and I will say a special prayer. Night tigger get better buddy.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just getting caught up here, and I feel SOOO bad for poor Tiggs. Is there any kind of anti-anxiety medicine or a sedative to calm him while the steroids are working? I don't want to extenuate his pain, but it seems like the visits to the vet really stress him out. Can they teach you to give him sub-q fluids or anything? If his kidneys are getting better, that's a really good sign. Now you said the vet didn't give any anti-convulsants - is that still true? I just feel that if you can calm him for a while that healing can take place. Love to Tiggs from us (Elsa, Nadette, Kim, and... TIGGER!, yep.)

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will say a prayer for your boy. And I do hope he gets well. But if he is feeling pain, and contiunes to do so. You may have to make that ever hard choice. It is never easy. And yes 5 is young.

I just last week lost my Baby Ares, he was not yet a year old.

Does your vet know what is causeing the seizures?

andre75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I'm just getting caught up here, and I feel SOOO bad for poor Tiggs. Is there any kind of anti-anxiety medicine or a sedative to calm him while the steroids are working? I don't want to extenuate his pain, but it seems like the visits to the vet really stress him out. Can they teach you to give him sub-q fluids or anything? If his kidneys are getting better, that's a really good sign. Now you said the vet didn't give any anti-convulsants - is that still true? I just feel that if you can calm him for a while that healing can take place. Love to Tiggs from us (Elsa, Nadette, Kim, and... TIGGER!, yep.)
He gave him the anti-convulsants today. That is why I was so shocked about his recent seizures. Now he is a bit better. If it stays that way we will give him another day to see if anything positive happens.
The visit to the vet is really stressing him out, but I don't know how else to deal with this. He stayed there all day today.
Many thanks to all of you. Tiggs is winking at you.

andre75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms

I just last week lost my Baby Ares, he was not yet a year old.
I am sorry to hear that

Originally Posted by ScamperFarms

Does your vet know what is causeing the seizures?
No. Inflammation of the brain, maybe some sort of Menangitis, since he is hypersensitive to touch, or Lymphoma. All tests that we performed came back negative. He seems to have settled down a bit now.
Tina is very worried too. She doesn't know whats going on, being locked up in the bedroom while we are in the study with Senior Tiggs.
As hard as it is on us, we may decide to keep him home tomorrow and get his meds from the vet. Not sure yet.

andre75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is calm now and dozing off. He really seems to like classical piano. I had it on internet radio and when the ad came he looked up at the computer as if he was saying "hey, where's my music". So I got him a Franz Schubert CD that is running on repeat now. He looks cute and peacefull. No suffering, just calm.
Maybe I should give him a chance and keep him home tomorrow. My good friend deserves a fighting chance, don't you think?
I can always decide otherwise if he looks bad tomorrow, but now he looks so peaceful, it would be murder. Tomorrow it may be the deed of his best buddy but not yet.

casa de gato

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry Andre that Tiggs is not getting better, after being up all night with my sick dog I have a small idea what you are going through and have tears in my eyes as I type.

If you have to make that decision I hope it can be as peacfull as possible perhaps ask the vet to come to you if Tiggs gets stressed atthe vets it would be awfull for his last moments to be that way.

I am praying that it doesn't come to that and some miricle happens.

My thoughts are with you.

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have just caught up with the rest of this thread... I am so sorry that they are finding it difficult to find the reason behind what he is going through. I can feel the heartbreak in your words and I have to admit I have shed a few tears. I am so sorry - I wish I could do/say more than that

thinking of you darlin Tiggs - what a strong, brave boy you are

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

He is calm now and dozing off. He really seems to like classical piano. I had it on internet radio and when the ad came he looked up at the computer as if he was saying "hey, where's my music". So I got him a Franz Schubert CD that is running on repeat now. He looks cute and peacefull. No suffering, just calm.
Maybe I should give him a chance and keep him home tomorrow. My good friend deserves a fighting chance, don't you think?
I can always decide otherwise if he looks bad tomorrow, but now he looks so peaceful, it would be murder. Tomorrow it may be the deed of his best buddy but not yet.
How is he this morning. I will keep checking for updates.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm glad the piano music is helpful.

Your kitty does deserve a fighting chance...and you can wait as long as you want. It is your decision. And the fact that the vet feels there is still hope gives you extra incentive to keep trying.

Please talk to the vet today, and let him know you are considering ending the fight. Sometimes I think the vet won't give up because we aren't ready. Let him know you are very willing to keep fighting with Tigger, but that if the vet thinks it is time to end it, you want to know that, too.

All your new TCS friends know that you are doing your best for your buddy. No matter what happens, if you need to make that awful decision, it will not be murder. Your cat is in a very bad place now, and no one will blame you if you need to make the decision to help him over the bridge. Likewise, since you are there with him, we support your current decision to give it a little more time, to see what happens.

I continue to pray for a miracle!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When they get into this type of situation, where they are having seizures and are in such pain, and you have no answers only more questions, this is when it gets tough.

The questions that only you and your vet(s) can answer are:

What is his quality of life like now and will it improve?

What will the seizures do to the brain and the body?

What if any are the medications doing to the body both short-term and long-term?

The problem becomes that once we make that very difficult decision of letting go and releasing, then it becomes our pain. This animal that has graced your life for so long, his pain has ended. But now YOU enter into the grief process and you are racked with questions- Did you do the right thing? What if you did something different? Why did this happen?

You may never know any answers here. When cats are left to breed indiscrimanantly out in the wild, this is the roulette wheel we take on when we adopt a kitten or cat. They may harbor something rare or unknown deep in their genes, and only after certain triggers go off, they become ill.

My vet, who has been through this type of situation with me so many times just labels cats like this as NDW (not doing well) There are fevers or unknown origins, seizure-type activities wracking the brain and the body, loss of bodily fluids, hours and days spent in prayer wondering what I should do next to try and "fix" this problem.

Some problems are not fixable, cats do not live forever. God, I wish they did. There are many diseases out there and illnesses that vet medicine hasn't even tapped into.

What I am trying to say is ultimately, this will come down to a family decision. Are your strong enough as a unit to release this cat from his torment and send him in peace, or are you waiting for a miracle to come along and cure him? He will give you the answers you seek, if you listen. Get down to his level, clear your mind and your heart and stroke him and look into this eyes. Are they clear, or cloudy with confusion and pain? Cats are low on the food-chain, it is instinct not to show pain. If they show pain, they understand that their time is limited. They remain strong to the end, some even purring as they take their last breath.

As I said, in my life's path I work with animals that have been horribly treated or abused. I have to make this decision more than most, I suppose. I just want to try and let you know that in your heart you know what to do. If it is The Decision, and I am NOT saying it is, then you have to find that inner strength and let him go. If not, then you play it a day at a time, and if that gets to overwhelming then an hour at a time. No one here can see your cat, but all here can see your love for Tigger

I wish you the best-

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope things are better for Tigger today.

Sending Tigger healing vibes, and cyber hugs.

andre75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. Tigger has made it through the night. He was weak but he did not show signs of pain this morning. Unfortunately the vet requested to bring him in, so we had to put him through that again. Once there I asked for him to be hospitalized. If today goes by without much pain, I will aks that Tiggs can stay with us for the next few days. Unfortunately he becomes harder to medicate and now he has to take anti-convulsant pills too. That means I will have to have a lot of strength and courage to give him all those meds while restraining him. He gets mad now when we do that, but after what he has been through I would be mad too.
Yes I was looking for a sign from him, but what I got from him was that he wants to fight. He ate and drank a lot and I figure if he really would want to leave he wouldn't do that. Yesterday evening he snuggled up to Dani and fell asleep. It reminded us a lot of the good times.
I don't think he has given up yet. I hope he has some more strength to fight some more. He is loosing weight, but I think he has still life left in him.

P.S.: He really loved the cat treats we got him. He gulped them down pretty fast. He even ate two at the Vet while he was still in the cage. I left his food and his treats with the vet in the hope they may give him some treats to calm him.

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear he made it through the night, and enjoys his treats
thank you for the update. I will keep ya'll in my thoughts and prayers.

tilly tiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i just hope thtat tiggs is ok and i send ((((((((Hugs))))))) and its amazin how we get attatched to our little fury freinds

Status
Not open for further replies.