Please share your quirky cat stories !!!

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, here's a new quirk.  Cosette, the former sick stray who showed up at my doorstep on a cold winter night, has decided that *in* the bathroom sink is a great spot to be.  Especially when people want to brush their teeth.

She also likes to show up in the bathroom even when I thought for sure I had closed the doors and she wasn't in the rooms (my bedroom adjoins the bathroom, so frequently when I take a shower, I close my bedroom door and leave the door from bathroom to bedroom open), she somehow gets the door open and shows up on the edge of the tub in between the shower curtains (the plastic one and the decorative one).  No pictures of that, though.

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our first Siamese cat, William, dead now since 1962, used to watch us carefully when we went into the bathroom in our first home.  After some weeks he was seen, perched on the commode, urinating into the bowl.  (He repeated this occasionally but most of the time he used his litter tray or the garden.)

whatsonemore

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A few months ago, I took in a young Jack Russell Terrier that had been dumped.  She wasn't completely housebroken and after a few accidents where I swear I just had my eyes off of her for a minute or two, I decided to get one of those strands of bells that go on the door that the dog rings when it wants to go out.  I would ask her if she wanted to go "Out" "To Potty" and take her to the front door and ring the bells, then open the door and put her out on her line.  Well, a couple of weeks into this training, the bell rang one day and I looked down from working on my laptop and there was Ruby, the JRT, chewing on her bully stick.  Who was ringing the bell?  It was KK, my first rescue cat.  Now, my cats have their own cat door back in my master bathroom window, where it's not as noticeable to visitors, or potential ax murderers, that the cats can use freely 24/7/365.  I installed it because when KK first showed up, from apparently being an outside cat, he would go to my doors and if I didn't open them, he would scratch up the door trim.  He would do that at all hours and it got old pretty quick.  After Julien, my 2nd rescue showed up, I decided to just install the door for them to come and go as they pleased to save my sanity and my door frames.

So back to the bell...not only did KK start using the bell as his own personal door opening request service, he apparently told the others, and four of my six cats and finally the JRT, were ringing the bell all day and night.  The little rascals seemed to always want out as soon as I'd sat back down and gotten all my work papers and laptop situated to start working.  Again, they do this while they have their own dang door that is available 24/7/365 that they can use!  Twice now, KK has even rung the bell in the wee hours of the morning, just to get me up to let me know he wants food.  Or fresh food rather, as I fill their bowls before I go to bed usually, since with six cats, they are always coming and going and eating at different times.  Recently, after one of my cats went missing and one of the calls found us at the home of a lady that had recently had a cat show up that she didn't want, that actually reminded us a lot of our lost cat, both looks and personality-wise and she wasn't treating him that well, we brought him in and not even a week in, HE started ringing the bell to go out too, and unfortunately, because we were keeping him inside for a couple of weeks to get him used to his at least 3rd new home, we didn't open the door for him. I ended up having to take the bell off the door because he was ringing that sucker like his life depended on it and was relentless.  KK also rings it very loudly, so as not to be ignored about his wishes.

KK also HATES scary movie sounds.  I was once watching the movie with Renee Zellweger taking in a foster kid and it had a scene where this office chair was spinning around, making this creepy squeaking sound as it turned and he bolted off the couch, where he was cleaning, watching the tv the whole time like something was going to jump out of the tv after him.  He's also left the room in a hurry several other times during tense or scary movie scenes.  Also, this is the only cat of the seven now, that is and always has been what we affectionately call a "pee pet" cat.  He wants to get on my lap, even if for just a few seconds every chance he can get when I use the potty in the utility room, which is the one I use most in the house and the only one he responds that way to.  He also drools while sleeping or being scratched under the chin.

Julien will start knocking stuff off the shelf in the utility room where I feed them all if the food bowls are empty and he wants more.  His intention is to make noise, apparently other than just a meow, to let us know he's wanting more food.  Many a food bowl has been chipped by his antics despite our best efforts to keep food in the bowls and things he can knock off as far away as possible from him besides the spoon we use to scoop out the wet food.

Sissy, on the other hand, will just sit in the room and wait in front of the food bowls, almost like she's trying to will the food to appear.  She never lets out a peep or gives a sad look or anything, just sits there patiently waiting until we see her and go put food in the bowls.

Cooper and Rosie both wait for permission to get in my lap.  Cooper will just sit at the base of my chair and look up at me with his pleading eyes.  I will tap my chest and tell him "Come on" and up he will come.  Rosie, will get behind the chair, let out a faint little squeaky meow to get my attention and let me know she wants up on my lap and I will tap my arm, giving her the signal, usually after I've had to rearrange the stuff I'm working on to accommodate her preferred sitting/sleeping/cuddling position in the crook of my arm.  They also liked to take their paw and reach up and touch our noses or our mouths gently while resting/sleeping/cuddling in our arms.  These were also the same kittens that wanted in the shower while we were in there for the first 7-8 months they were here.  I'm talking a small shower only, where no spot doesn't get hit with water.  They didn't mind getting wet at all and made showers cold (having to open the door to let them in and then back out after proper investigation and wetness had been attained) and uncomfortable (trying to shield them from spray while not freezing from opening and closing the door, usually at least 2-3x during a 10 minute shower).  Good times!  lol  (that I'm glad they outgrew)

Sissy is the oddest of them all.  She's the one that came here after my bf's grandmother passed away and nobody wanted or could take her for whatever reason.  She was my third rescue.  She was very aloof for the longest time, doesn't care much for any of the other cats, prefers to eat alone and has the weird habit of getting ahold of sheets or towels on the floor and holding them with her front paws while kicking them like crazy with her back feet.  I put towels down on the floor in my bathroom, which is carpeted, because although cats are clean animals, they track in dirt and stuff like a herd of buffalo as they come in their door from outside.  We can always tell when Sissy has discovered the fresh towels because they will be balled up in a mess, NOT doing their job.  She also does it to the towel I have the bucket my lab sloppily drinks/drips out of in the kitchen, negating the water spillage catchage factor.  Her final weird quirk is that although not a real lovey dovey cat unless it's on her terms, she is drawn to us when she thinks we are upset.  I work from home and the house will be quiet and still most days.  If I have to make or answer a call, the quiet will be broken and she will come from wherever she was and want to get up on my lap to comfort me, even when it's just a normal call with no emotion of any kind.  She'll also do this if we are in bed talking and while sharing a frustration about a stupid person or whatever, causing some tension or whatever in our voices, she will suddenly show up and lay on our chests to what I can assume is to "comfort" us.  We always reassure her that it's ok and pet her and usually unsuccessfully try to remember not to get loud or animated in our conversations so as not to bring her running.  Otherwise, she'll sleep peacefully at the foot of the bed or in her own bed on the floor.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday, Murphy was eating his dry food - which I leave out all the time - and he has apparently decided that he can't eat broken pieces.  He was picking the broken kibble out and putting it in a pile on the floor and only eating the whole pieces.

He's not spoiled at all.

engine4154

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bonnie has a new trick. When I get home from work I usually turn the tv on and stand there a minute. Now she jumps from a near by table onto my shoulder and stays there while I walk around. If Clyde tried it he'd probably knock me down, luckily, Bonnie's smallish. lol

rissaroo1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Sophie loves to snuggle on my lap and be pet when I sit in our recliner chair. If I come home from work and I don't go sit down in that chair right away (like if I try to do laundry or get food or anything else) she will follow me around the apartment, meowing very insistently, and try to lead me to the living room until I sit in the chair so she can jump up onto my lap and stick her butt in my face.

If you pet her just right and she's really happy, she'll let her jaw go slack and hang open, which makes her purring get twice as loud.

If I try to go on my laptop? No worries she'll just squeeze herself behind it and make it work

Sometimes she'll fall asleep on my lap in funny positions too. I call this one "the face plant"

"The stretch"

I have so many pics of her sleeping adorably in my lap

It's just her favorite place to be. She's just a sweetheart!

rissaroo1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another story, this one isn't with my cat but my friend's cat named knight. Whenever he uses the litterbox, when he finishes he will loudly announce it to everyone with lots of meowing as he leaves the box. It has got to be one of the funniest things I've seen I cat do!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

frankie the cat

Mama to 7 cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cute stories ! I will probably be posting more stories myself now that I have been adopted by 2 kittens. We are now a 4 cat house hold and I am in fur heaven !

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cute stories ! I will probably be posting more stories myself now that I have been adopted by 2 kittens. We are now a 4 cat house hold and I am in fur heaven !
One word of warning--if something happens and the house loses a cat (for overnight surgery or something) the house will feel empty. Hope that doesn't happen to you!

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since a kitten, Sukie has always signalled that she wished to be fed by sitting on the stool in the kitchen.  However hungry she will give us thanks, by rubbing against us, before eating.

Last edited:

ericsmom1000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My friend has a kitten who likes to hunt leaves. He drops them at my friend's feet as if they were mice he just killed. It's the best time of year now to go leaf hunting.

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have four cats, but Izzy is the quirkiest cat.

Instead of the traditional decapitated mouse, Izzy prefers to bring me things she found in the trash in the bathroom.

Izzy insists on sitting on my lap every time I go to the toilet.

Izzy regularly gets stuck on top of the shed roof. She stands there and meows until I rescue her. I have tried opening the bedroom window, which is right above the shed, but she cannot figure out how to jump up and climb through the window, instead she rolls over for a belly rub and then continues meowing for help until I come out, stand on the fence, and help her down.

Izzy does the same thing but with doors, if the door is a little bit open, she can push her way in, but it swings shut and she cannot figure out how to get out so meows for help.

Izzy's new nickname is Flop Cat, because she likes to walk right in front of you and then flop over for a belly rub.

Izzy likes to rummage through guests handbags.

Izzy once got pooped on by another cat, because she tried to sniff the other cat's butt while she was pooping.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

frankie the cat

Mama to 7 cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lol Izzy sounds wonderful! I had to giggle as I now have 4 cats and it seems my little sassy likes being picked up! Especially when I am sitting on the toilet !

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also Izzy fell off the dryer because she rolled over for a belly rub right off the edge.

She is a perfect, silly, friendly kitty, my five year old's best friend. She is the softest, floppiest Flop Cat ever, nothing at all bothers her. She even jumps happily into the cat carrier for a trip to the vet. Unfortunately sometimes I have to be trying to pull her out of it while I try and stuff a less cooperative sister cat in, as if it is open, she will jump right inside.

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my foster, Tessa, is also known as "Mister Clean", despite being a female. Every time one of the other 3 cats goes to the litter box, she goes in right after they left, and covers whatever is in there, even though it's already covered. I guess she's just a neat cat, but we laugh every time we catch her doing it

melbox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats always want to give tons of affection when I go to the bathroom. They all purr, chirp, flop around, and touch my face with their paws.

My cat Edgar loves to follow me when I go outside to visit neighbors and he does a lot of climbing all over and purring while giving me love nips and bites my fingers and hands. He only does it when around other people.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Murphy has to make sure I'm constantly marked as his.  A while back, I took a shower and left right away to go pick up some groceries.  When I got home, Murphy was frantic - running around and meowing pitifully.  When I finished putting everything away and sat down, Murphy climbed on me and rubbed his head all over me, making sure he got his scent on me.  Then he walked off, calm as can be.

Connor is obsessed with plush.  I lay a plush blanket next to me as "Connor bait."  He settles down on the blanket and starts kneading like it's his life's mission and purring like mad.

As soon as I touch Mickey,he starts his motor running and rolls over onto his back for belly rubs.  Sometimes I wonder if he's part dog.

TsundereNeko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so glad I found this thread! I'm reviving it so I can share Aria's strange habits and others can continue to share too (hopefully that's not against forum rules).

1. Aria refuses to drink water unless it's from the sink or from the toilet bowl. I've tried letting the water run to see if it's the running water she likes, but she prefers to drink from the pool that forms within the sink as opposed to drinking directly from the tap. So, as a compromise, I've started to put her water dish in the sink; to no surprise, that's the only way she'll drink it. :rolleyes2:

2. Aria hits herself in the face with her tail when she curls up to relax. Repeatedly. Almost as if she has no control over her tail.

3. I have yet to prove this, but I suspect that Aria will fake-sneeze at times to get attention. I believe this began when she started developing symptoms of a URI and was sneezing a lot, to which I reflexively would say "bless you". Now, whenever I don't pay enough attention to her, she sneezes!

More to come as I investigate my strange cat...:think: