Please share your quirky cat stories !!!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@Inanna    I think Toothless might be related to Mouse, or been chatting somewhere.  
  Mouse always does that with the biscuits he eats from his bowl (prefers them to be thrown thank you), and I don't even bother leaving a bowl of water for him anymore, he has a glass on the kitchen worktop that gets filled once or twice a day.  He'll drink from the tap when he can but glasses are the only alternative good enough for his lordship.  

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is one of my favorite threads. 

@Engine4154  , that is really something about how the noise of the horn gives Bonnie a scare!  I know, my Speedy will react like that if someone rings my front doorbell!  Like Bonnie, it is only that noise!  That IS very quirky! 

@Inanna, I LOVE the cat house/(secret fort)! Seems I have heard of Jake's quirky antic in a previous thread  of singing in the bath!!  This is pretty funny!  

@MServant, it seems that Mouse and Toothless might be secretly communicating with each other!  Speedy likes to drink her water from a large pail I keep in the bathroom although she has a conventional bowl. 

@caitini, Fuzzy is saying thank you for keeping his box so clean! 

@AllMyKitties,  your story I read first thing this morning and it brought me tears (of joy)  because it was just so touching!  When I was reading, I thought maybe Circe was going to retreat further and get stuck or never come out, but when I read, " she budged eight inches forward",  that just melts my heart of how GOOD and SPECIAL cats are!  Thank you for this, it made my day!  Hello to Autumn! 

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am going to have to tell the story of a cat from my past.  Technically, he was my parents' cat, but I was still living with my parents when Sam did.

Sam came to us after he had been living with a mother and daughter (ages 90 and mid/late-60s) that my father routinely brought communion to.  Sam had shown up in their yard when he was a young adult, and had lived with them for 12 years when they both died within 3 months of each other.  The rest of their family lived far away and had no intention of taking Sam, and started talking about putting him to sleep.  Although he was at least 13, and not as spry as he once was, he was otherwise perfectly healthy.  My dad brought Sam home to live with us.  Ultimately, he lived for 8 years more with us.  Sam was an "applehead" Siamese, so he was a very handsome fellow.

Now, Sam had been an indoor/outdoor cat in his previous home, with morning sleeping spots outside and afternoon sleeping spots inside (all depended on where the sun was, of course).  While he never left the yard of the former owners when he was outside, we were afraid that if we let him go outside he might try to go back to his old home (which was about 5 miles as the crow flies, but about 13 by the road because of ravines).  So we started walking him on a leash. He loved it and would come running at the sound of us getting the leash out (it was a lightweight chain with a handle--at the time, that seemed like the way all leashes were, so it rattled quite a bit).  The quirkiest thing he did while on these walks was come to a dirt spot and roll around in it.

This led to one of his other quirks. My parents had an old canister vacuum with the long hose and attachments.  Other cats would run away when we vacuumed (and granted, this didn't have the greatest suction).  Not Sam.  Sam ended up getting vacuumed with the round brush attachment, and you could hear him purr over the vacuum.  He would take the brush out of the closet, in between times, too.

I took piano lessons, and so I'd be sitting on the piano bench practicing, when Sam would  come and sit beside me on one side.  He used to have a song to the tune of a phrase from Mozart's Rondo alla turca "Mister Sam, Mister Sam Mister Samuel wamel finest furry cat-tin.  Mr Sam, Mister Sam, he's our finest furry cat".  (Yes, I have been singing songs to cats I have known for a long time).

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am going to have to tell the story of a cat from my past.  Technically, he was my parents' cat, but I was still living with my parents when Sam did.

Sam came to us after he had been living with a mother and daughter (ages 90 and mid/late-60s) that my father routinely brought communion to.  Sam had shown up in their yard when he was a young adult, and had lived with them for 12 years when they both died within 3 months of each other.  The rest of their family lived far away and had no intention of taking Sam, and started talking about putting him to sleep.  Although he was at least 13, and not as spry as he once was, he was otherwise perfectly healthy.  My dad brought Sam home to live with us.  Ultimately, he lived for 8 years more with us.  Sam was an "applehead" Siamese, so he was a very handsome fellow.

Now, Sam had been an indoor/outdoor cat in his previous home, with morning sleeping spots outside and afternoon sleeping spots inside (all depended on where the sun was, of course).  While he never left the yard of the former owners when he was outside, we were afraid that if we let him go outside he might try to go back to his old home (which was about 5 miles as the crow flies, but about 13 by the road because of ravines).  So we started walking him on a leash. He loved it and would come running at the sound of us getting the leash out (it was a lightweight chain with a handle--at the time, that seemed like the way all leashes were, so it rattled quite a bit).  The quirkiest thing he did while on these walks was come to a dirt spot and roll around in it.

This led to one of his other quirks. My parents had an old canister vacuum with the long hose and attachments.  Other cats would run away when we vacuumed (and granted, this didn't have the greatest suction).  Not Sam.  Sam ended up getting vacuumed with the round brush attachment, and you could hear him purr over the vacuum.  He would take the brush out of the closet, in between times, too.

I took piano lessons, and so I'd be sitting on the piano bench practicing, when Sam would  come and sit beside me on one side.  He used to have a song to the tune of a phrase from Mozart's Rondo alla turca "Mister Sam, Mister Sam Mister Samuel wamel finest furry cat-tin.  Mr Sam, Mister Sam, he's our finest furry cat".  (Yes, I have been singing songs to cats I have known for a long time).
Aww! 

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Aaaww!  Sam sounds like he was a gem!  It sounds like he was very happy in nature and social.  My Speedy is a siamese mix and I also take her on harness walks!  But she does not like the vacuum!  I also am always singing a tune to Speedy!  My most often sung song to her is "Bicycle Built For Two"!  I sing "Speedy, Speedy, give me your answer, do.......  I'm half crazy, all for the love of you........."!!!  I am glad Sam  found a furever home with you and that he lived a happy, long life! 

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm going to share my story about my cats breeder.

As most of you know that have ever went about buying a pedigree cat, you initially talk to the breeder on the phone and get pictures that way and such. Well on the first couple of phone calls I noticed she had a very thick, country accent, now granted I do live in mountainous western North Carolina, but most of us around here talk pretty plain. I let this slide though, considering the kittens and their parents were in very good condition.
We kept phone contact up daily, and she seemed a little odd but otherwise very sweet and always answered my questions.
Then came time for me to come see my baby, also the first time visiting the breeder. And what a surprise for me, that I was greeted by a completely toothless woman. And by toothless, I kid you not, not one single tooth in her head.
Her house was nice, her cattery area was perfect, but her own physical condition was aweing.

My mom, who went with me , now gives me hell because upon bringing my kitty home, she stared at my teeth in absolute amazement! Like she had never seen them before!!! Oh lord, I'll never forget that poor kittens face looking up at my set of chompers [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to share my story about my cats breeder.

As most of you know that have ever went about buying a pedigree cat, you initially talk to the breeder on the phone and get pictures that way and such. Well on the first couple of phone calls I noticed she had a very thick, country accent, now granted I do live in mountainous western North Carolina, but most of us around here talk pretty plain. I let this slide though, considering the kittens and their parents were in very good condition.
We kept phone contact up daily, and she seemed a little odd but otherwise very sweet and always answered my questions.
Then came time for me to come see my baby, also the first time visiting the breeder. And what a surprise for me, that I was greeted by a completely toothless woman. And by toothless, I kid you not, not one single tooth in her head.
Her house was nice, her cattery area was perfect, but her own physical condition was aweing.

My mom, who went with me , now gives me hell because upon bringing my kitty home, she stared at my teeth in absolute amazement! Like she had never seen them before!!! Oh lord, I'll never forget that poor kittens face looking up at my set of chompers [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]
 Poor kitty!

gothikitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Piston
Piston has a few weird habits. First strange habit is that he herds me. He will stop in front of me and apply pressure until I go where he wants. It usually happens in the morning when I try to turn on the keurig to let it warm up. He will herd me to the bathroom and demand attention.

His second weird habit is that he screams like he is being beaten when he had a hair ball. The first time he did it, I was halfway to the vet when he coughed it up. I explained what happened when I got there. And yes that vet bill was worth it for peace of mind.

Third, he wants me to be with him when he eats. I don't mean just nearby but directly beside him. He will come and get me and take me to his food bowl in the morning and if I don't go, the food bowl comes to me.

And finally, he tells me when it is bed time. Every night at ten pm, he will meow at me. If I do nothing about this meow, it becomes louder and insistent. If I still do nothing about it, I must suffer. Usually this involves him nipping (he never tried to break skin just a warning). Now if do heed his bedtime call, I get rewarded with kisses and snuggles. My friends laugh because my cat tells me when to sleep.

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mittens likes underwear. I once caught her stealing a pair of mine from the laundry basket, and then rolling on it like it was made of catnip.

When Izzy was a kitten, I had a friend over. She put her bag down on the floor, and in climbed the kitten. She reached in to get something and screamed because something moved.

Amber likes sniffing faces, she always greets me by coming up to sit on me and then sniffing my face. She also once sat and licked my hair for 5 minutes, holding on to me with her claws if I tried to move. She did this to one of my friends too.

I have pet tarantulas, they eat crickets. I left a box of live crickets in my room, and Socks knocked them over and had a great time trying to catch them. Im sure there are still some loose.

Amber can open the kitchen cupboard. She likes to steal flour, drag it into the dining room and play in it.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Zander has many quirks.... she will take my socks and drag them all over the house. She loves bubble wrap and will find it no matter where we put it. She drags it around and puts it where we will step on it. She almost gave my room mate a heart attack the other day because Zander put the bubble wrap right in front of the bathroom door.

When it's time for bed she will follow me around meowing because she knows she gets fed just before bedtime. She won't give me any peace until I give in and go to bed then she sits by her bowl and stares at me until I open the can of food

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Zander has many quirks.... she will take my socks and drag them all over the house. She loves bubble wrap and will find it no matter where we put it. She drags it around and puts it where we will step on it. She almost gave my room mate a heart attack the other day because Zander put the bubble wrap right in front of the bathroom door.

When it's time for bed she will follow me around meowing because she knows she gets fed just before bedtime. She won't give me any peace until I give in and go to bed then she sits by her bowl and stares at me until I open the can of food
That's so cute and funny! 
Zander sounds like an awesome kitty!

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure there's no catnip on that sock? Our cats act like that with catnip.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have another one for little Miss Zander.....

I've been working with her, getting her use to a harness so she can go outside on a leash instead of being loose. Well she will wear it for a while and when she is ready for it to be off, she will go under the couch and SOMEHOW get it off. She will hide her harness under the couch.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Just found this thread-I need to read the middle 2 pages-my cats are quirky.

Flash who is an angel now-she would ONLY sit in my lap in the woods. She was an outdoor kitty. She ignored us in the house but outside by the brook I used to bring a lawn chair and she would curl up in my lap with a blanket over her-it was in the fall when I discovered this. Was around the time she was sick before she went to the Bridge.

She was named flash because she would move so fast you only saw a blur. she never made noise. Used to run over my other cats without touching them-just the wind that would move their ear hairs and they would look around like what the heck?!

Flash loved sleeping on a pillow above your head. Our couch has these removable big cushions and she always sleeps on them.

I had a photo of her from Halloween-she was laying on the couch near the door and watching the kids when they came-but one kid/baby screamed their head off at the kitty and Flash-well Flashed byebye!

She since then didn't like strangers..especially shrieking babies lol. This is where she would sleep most nights-we sleep on couches as we both snore loudly and the honey has sleep apnea and acid reflux and spends most nights sitting up sleeping...we haven't slept in the bed for years..he rolls around every minute waking me up..so we both have our own couch-and the cats pile ontop of him most nights-causing him to not be able to move.

Quirky cats=Honeybee sleeps on my chest most nights. Unless its too hot..she sleeps in the window then. She has gotten rolled over on top of and doesn't care-not that I did it on purpose-now I sleep on my back and don't move. She stays there all night-and if I roll she rolls with me-and stays asleep-like a toddler sleeps=you can move them and they don't care...I can touch her belly or feet and not get bit.

Floey my old girl-only drinks water outside in the garden-I have a few areas I keep full of water..one is the snow shovel on its side=she will paw at the water in the winter breaking the ice to lick the water-bizzare..and only drinks from the tap.

Honeybee only drinks from her little old white dish or my cup. Oh I trained her to drink water out of a sport top from my waterbottle-this was because we were on a 6 hour drive-she kept licking the bottle as she was laying on my lap on the way-so I tipped some water into the cap and held the cap under her chin=she laps it up..and licks my hand to tell me she wants more.

Floey loves wet food in the morning-the only time she rubs against me=as I am mashing up the food she will rub her head on my shins...for awhile honeybee started doing this-which ticked her off..they have their hissy pissy fits and now Floey is top dog again. Floey also rubs against me in the bathroom..

She lays on the commode when I take a shower-I bought a rug cover for the lid=she slid off the last time-trying to get up there. Now we have a cardboard box with books in it to make it easier for her to jump up onto the toilet. Sometimes she lays on the box instead of the toilet seat..and when I have to PEE and she wont get off-I have to move her and she purrs-even when mad. she purrs ALL the time...big loud purr..she is my old kitty..16 or 17 or 18..not sure of age..she purrs when I pick her up..doesn't really like being picked up..but purrs...love her purr.

Honeybee=oh she loves her toys-she destroys them-often finding pieces of things all over the house...and yep the rug-she puts her toys under the throw rugs and then bats at them while beating up the rug-bunny kicks and all.

Pumpkin Face-she only eats her food in the library without being watched...and if she goes outside she will not potty outside..comes back in the house to potty then back out...(we don't let them out when not home)

And lastly=someone brings their toys outside and I find them scattered near the deck.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

I have another one for little Miss Zander.....

I've been working with her, getting her use to a harness so she can go outside on a leash instead of being loose. Well she will wear it for a while and when she is ready for it to be off, she will go under the couch and SOMEHOW get it off. She will hide her harness under the couch.
   I think you can take it young Zander is not a fan of her harness there @kntrygrl256.    Mouse uses the sofa / furniture to escape from his harness too.  
    He's worked out that if he can get the leash wrapped round or snagged on something heavy and pulls back from it then the harness will pull off.  
     If I ever have to put it on him when we're out he will need really close supervision.  So far he won't go outside but I use it when doing stuff like cleaning windows (which means they have to be fully open and he could leap out).

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I think you can take it young Zander is not a fan of her harness there @kntrygrl256.    Mouse uses the sofa / furniture to escape from his harness too.  
    He's worked out that if he can get the leash wrapped round or snagged on something heavy and pulls back from it then the harness will pull off.  
     If I ever have to put it on him when we're out he will need really close supervision.  So far he won't go outside but I use it when doing stuff like cleaning windows (which means they have to be fully open and he could leap out).
Zander is so small it don't take much for her to slip out of it. We got the smallest one they had a PetSmart. She wants to go outside so bad but I'm afraid she will slip out of the harness while we are outside.

She will sneak out every chance she gets if the door isn't monitored carefully when you are going in or out. She will sit at the window and wait for you to get to the door and then zoom out fast as lightening. She don't leave the yard but we watch her while she's out because until she's done exploring she won't come near you.