Please.... I need vibes for Chynna

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My poor girl isn't feeling very well today. She ate the food I left out for her at bedtime. So she is eating. But now she has diarrhea from the ampicillin. It's not water, but it's runny. Monday morning is her last dose, so hopefully she will start to feel better after that.

In the meantime I'm encouraging her to drink and eat. It's so hard to see her not 100%. But she has made vast improvements with her eating!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
if her diarrhea doesn't improve, you might want to try adding a probiotic, like bene-bac, to offset the side effects of the antibiotic. i know it really helped Java - she had 2 rounds of antibiotic to fix her intestinal bacterial overgrowth, & the probiotic simply 'completed' her healing.
continued & for Chynna!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

if her diarrhea doesn't improve, you might want to try adding a probiotic, like bene-bac, to offset the side effects of the antibiotic. i know it really helped Java - she had 2 rounds of antibiotic to fix her intestinal bacterial overgrowth, & the probiotic simply 'completed' her healing.
continued & for Chynna!
Thanks
I'm pretty sure it's antibiotic induced. Ampicillin is notorious for giving diarrhea. In fact it's one of the antibiotics we give patients at the hospital post bowl surgery. Not for infection purposes, but purely for the diarrhea side effect. Once the patient gets diarrhea, we discontinue the ampicillin.

Her little face needs a good washing. But it's still swollen, so I'll wait a few more days. And I'm sure her bottom could do with a wash too, but now when she sees me coming towards her she's off like a shot!
Poor thing. If I'm not shoving a plate of food or water under her nose, I'm sticking her with needles. I think I'd run from me too!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, poor sweetie.
that her insides settle down soon. Good that she's continuing to eat though.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
From the sound of your post in What's New, Pussycat, she's feeling much better. I imagine she'll clean herself up once she's feeling totally up to scratch, or will let you do it.

I bet she minds the injections less than pills, too. Over here the vets usually won't let you give injections unless you're a doctor, RN, or diabetic. Hubby's an RN, so my vets give me injectable medications (and showed me how to administer them, "just in case" he's not home). The cats don't show much of a reaction.

Is she drooling or sticking her tongue out? As Natalie said, that's to be expected. After Straycat had the teeth on one side of his mouth removed, I found a lot of (somewhat pink-tinged) drool on the towel he liked to sleep on for about three or four days.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I bet she minds the injections less than pills, too. Over here the vets usually won't let you give injections unless you're a doctor, RN, or diabetic. Hubby's an RN, so my vets give me injectable medications (and showed me how to administer them, "just in case" he's not home). The cats don't show much of a reaction.
I'm a nurse so they didn't mind. But I got the impression that because of her mouth they were going to send me home with injections anyway. It is a whole lot less traumatic for her this way, especially given how swollen her face is and sore her mouth must be. I've never given injections to a cat before so I did ask them to show me how.

Chynna has always been an "eating machine." This girl loves her food! It's so good to see her eating again! She ate one of those 5.5 ounce tins of the a/d recovery food today. She seems to really like that. It's too bad she can't have that on a regular basis. And she just had about 1/4 of a 5.5 ounce tin of Friskies seafood supreme pate.

This coming week I'll start to introduce her to the k/d Feline.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Wow, the turn around in a week is so amazing!
Yes, it's amazing.

She is still groggy and her little face is swollen. And her mouth still must be sore because she tends to eat best about 90 minutes after her pain medication. She only has 2 more doses for the pain medication. I hope she will continue to eat once it's done. If not then I'm going to ask for a few more days of pain control.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With Cow, he slowed down for a few days once his pain meds wore out. The vet advised not starting him up on meds unless he still was not eating well 3 days after he ran out of pain meds.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been away for 4 days so just catching up. I'm glad she's doing ok! I guess you're off the antibiotics now? How's the diarrhea? When does she finish the painkillers? Is she off those now? Has she been sleeping in your bed at all?

Hope you're doing well!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She finished her pain meds and antibiotics yesterday (Monday) morning.

She's been a sleepy head. She ate nearly a full can of Friskies Seafood Supreme around noon or so. Then around 4:30pm I gave her some more. She was happily eating when I had to go near the table. I guess she figured that I was going to stick her with a needle, and she ran off.

She's been using the litter box and drinking, but other than that she's been mostly sleeping.

She did jump up onto the shelf of my computer desk, which is her indication that she wants to be picked up. So I picked her up and we had a cuddle and I got nose kisses. I know she enjoyed it because her little nose got cold, moist and pinker. She's currently sleeping on the desk. I tried to give her a bit more food around 11pm or so. She ate a small amount and then curled up to sleep.

The swelling of her face is going down. And since she finished the pain medication she doesn't look all spaced out. That stuff sure made her confused!

She has been sleeping on the bed, and even coming up onto the pillow next to me for some cuddles. Yesterday she layed on the pillow, hugged my hand and put her head down so her nose was touching mine and she went to sleep!

She only had that one bout of diarrhea. And she did throw up once on Sunday morning. I think that may be related to her hypertension. Before she went on Norvasc she was throwing up a couple times per day. I haven't given her any Norvasc while I was giving her the Hydromorphone because that tends to lower blood pressure. If she had thrown up 5 or so hours after her hydromorphone, I would have given her the Norvasc then, but not at the same time as the hydromorphone. Anyway, I'll restart the Norvasc in the morning.

I need to try and get her to start eating that K/D Feline, but now that she can eat, she doesn't like it!

I think if I ever get another cat, I'm going to start it on K/D Feline from the get go and that way I won't have to worry about switching them when they get older

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she won't eat the k/d, ask your vet about phosphorus binders. There are some types of aluminum hydroxide that are basically odorless and tasteless so they can be easily mixed with regular food. I wouldn't feed k/d to a healthy cat--it's specifically designed for those in kidney failure.

tcdaver

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

My old girl is sick

She threw up about 5 or 6 times last evening, the last looked like water she had drank shortly before. And she had 2 bouts of diarrhea in the litter box too.

I was hoping it was just the fact that I had given her her own portion of Fancy Feast and it didn't agree with her. But last night her ears, nose and rims of her eyes were pinker than normal, and she felt a bit warm. And she "looked" sick to look at her face. Plus while she slept on my pillow she wasn't cuddly like she normally is. In fact she only wanted to sleep on my pillow and not be "loved" on.

This morning I saw that she peed in the litter box, hasn't thrown up that I can see, but she's still "pink" and feeling warm and lethargic. She is usually begging for food and out of bed as soon as I move. But not today. She stayed on the pillow for about 10 minutes and hasn't bugged me for food yet. And she has gone off to the cupboard to sleep.

I called the vet but they don't have an opening, but has told me that I can go there and sit and wait to see if there is time to fit her in. I hope so

Please, can I have some strong TSC vibes for her? She's 15 years old (16 in May) and I know my time with her is limited, but I just hope I get longer than today to love on her!
I can tell by your description of Chynna, that you love her so very much. This kitty has a wonderful mama and she is so glad to have you. I hope for your sake and Chynna sake she starts doing better and it is just a bug. I will be thinking of you all and hope for the best so you can love on her longer.
tcdaver