PLEASE HELP!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Is there a way I can bookmark catwoman707's post? It be easier than having to scroll through the other posts. This was important information that I must have on hand

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't think so. It's Post #117. You can copy and paste it into another document for yourself.

You have to spend time getting him to open his eyes by using the wash cloth method that we've both outlined for you. Then you put the drops in. It's very important.

It's all important: the eating, the antibiotic, the eye drops.

Just keep giving it your all!

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh and vet told me 1/3 can is his daily maintenance. She also told me I can feed him canned tuna (in water) and blend it.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Can I use cotton balls instead of a wash cloth ? The wash cloth gets cold too quick

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
I noticed that when he lays on his side and tilts his head back he breaths through his mouth but when he's sleeping in "Sphinx statue" position he breaths through his nose. I'm going to try to get him to stay in the "Sphinx statue" position. He looks a lot more comfortable sleeping that way too.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly I would say not to use the cotton balls, for the fiber getting in his eyes when it sticks to the goop.

The bogger the cloth, or a small hand towel even, the better you can keep it warm.

It doesn't take that long to do really, start out with it nice and warm but not hot at all, soothing type warm, like just a warm compress, and softly put it on his eyes and gently put the palm of your hands on each eye, just to know it is soaking his eyes.

That's it. If you need to get up and ringse the cloth in warm water again go for it. Then after a few minutes you can wipe the goop away and apply the med in to open eyes :)

Also! I meant to say this before, but be sure to use hand sanitizer on your hands before leaving his area so as not to infect the house with the virus since you do have another cat.

If he was properly vaccinated as a kitten he is likely not going to get it at all, but they are not 100%, close, but not guaranteed.

If your cat did get it, it won't be like the kitten either, so don't go worrying about that now!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I noticed that when he lays on his side and tilts his head back he breaths through his mouth but when he's sleeping in "Sphinx statue" position he breaths through his nose. I'm going to try to get him to stay in the "Sphinx statue" position. He looks a lot more comfortable sleeping that way too.
He's just still so congested is why the mouth breathing.

I don't think he is really sleeping completely in the upright/meatloaf position, I think it's just comforting for him like that.

Sleep is good, it heals the body faster, did you know that?

It's because while awake, his brain is seeing, smelling (ok maybe not now with a plugged up nose!) hearing, and makes his brain work, which uses energy, but when sleeping, the brain is hardly taking in any information so his energy is used to help heal itself. That's how cool the brain/body work so beautifully together, so no worries about him sleeping, besides, he's not always sleeping even when it looks like he is :)

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes yes it says so on the "at home care instructions" (which he urinated on lol) that we were sent home with. "Resting should be encouraged." The vet told me to wait until Tuesday (tomorrow) to see how he's doing but I think it's too soon, and since I was diagnosed with GAD (An anxiety disorder) if tomorrow comes and he's the same I am going to worry. I keep reminding myself it will take time until he can start showing proper signs but it's not easy when you suffer from anxiety, unfortunately. (I've mentioned this on another thread).

Anywho, I'm currently waiting for the water to cool in to nice and warm. I'm going to give him some pedialyte as well. :)

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With a kitten on clavamox, it takes until the 5th dose before you see signs of improving, so don't expect it before then. Know ahead of time it will take that long, and continue doing what you have been.

I also suggest that when you do give him anything, whether it's food or water, not to do one or the other, but a mixture of both.

Smaller amts of food mixed with water is easier to digest and encourages his body to heal.

The water mixed in should preferable be pediolyte, but if you don't have it, then water will have to do.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
With a kitten on clavamox, it takes until the 5th dose before you see signs of improving, so don't expect it before then. Know ahead of time it will take that long, and continue doing what you have been.
I also suggest that when you do give him anything, whether it's food or water, not to do one or the other, but a mixture of both.
Smaller amts of food mixed with water is easier to digest and encourages his body to heal.
The water mixed in should preferable be pediolyte, but if you don't have it, then water will have to do.
Well so far he's on dose 3. Tomorrow at 7:15 am will be his 4th and since it should be taken every 12 hours his 5th will be by 7:15 pm.

My vet gave me a/d cans. What I love about them is that it's not too chunky and he can easily swallow it. I'm thinking about feeding him again on midnight, he ate (I had to force-feed using my finger)!around 7:40 pm. Should I mix the food with pedialyte this round?

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You should, but feeding with your finger will make it too runny. 

So tmrw night is his 5th dose.

Just know that, if he is able to get better, you will wake up and see him showing signs of getting better on Weds morning.

Yes, A/D is very smoothly blended pate, like a soft paste, no chunkys :)

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
I will do that then, I'll just use a srynge. I found it to be a bit easier finger feeding him. He fights the srynge a lot. He also fought my finger but I found it worked better..

Here's a picture of him now :)

Last edited by a moderator:

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww he is so cute! Compared to the earlier picture I saw you post, to me he looks better than he did. He seems more relaxed and his coat looks shinier. You are doing a great job with him :)

Assist feeding is messy isn't it? :)

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Awww he is so cute! Compared to the earlier picture I saw you post, to me he looks better than he did. He seems more relaxed and his coat looks shinier. You are doing a great job with him :)

Assist feeding is messy isn't it? :)
Thank you! Posts like these mean a lot to me. It encourages me even more and makes me feel more relieved :)

I just got done feeding him again. This time i mixed it with some pedialyte. Of course he fought it but at least he has something in his tummy :) I still have to work on his eyes though. He has yet to open them but I'm trying my best!

And YES very! I smell like canned food at the moment even though I used a srynge this time haha! :)

Last edited:

kitkatkittygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had two kitties that were ill.
They are still on Clavamox and it took a couple days to tell any difference.
I'm no expert but warm cloth works best to open the eyes. I found the cotton would stick also.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm having a lot of trouble getting him to open his eyes with warm compresses. However I managed to get some liquid (discharge) dripping out of them. Still not opening his eyes, but we must be close to it

Last edited:

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Also here's an update from tonight: Last night Anubis peed for what may be the 4th time (yesterday morning his blankets were wet) and just now he peed again! I have noticed that his gums are changing color. They are no longer pale! They're turning pink. It's not the pink We are hoping for yet but That MUST be a good sign right?!!!

He looked very comfortable sleeping ALL NIGHT. He was a good boy when it came down to nasal drops but not nutrical.

The only problem now is his eyes. Im having a hard time trying to get him to open them. I believe he may have a lot of fluid in his eyes. I put some ointment on him too. But I won't give up. He's a trooper. I know he can open those eyes!

And as always plz keep him in your prayers. I know he's on for a long recovery, and it would mean a lot of if you can pray for us.

Last edited:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are such a fantastic person, Lallorona!!! I, like so many others of us out here are praying for you and your little guy, just wanted you to know. I keep silent because I have no expertise or advice to give. I don't want to "clug up" the thread, but just want you to know I am out here praying for you both!!!. With each day that goes by is a milestone the 2 of you have travelled together in this journey You may not realize but you BOTH are getting stronger with each day. You in your heroism and Anubis in still being here on this earth, with you. He WILL turn that corner, girl, keep on the march. So proud of you. Loads of hugs for you young lady!!!

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
You are such a fantastic person, Lallorona!!! I, like so many others of us out here are praying for you and your little guy, just wanted you to know. I keep silent because I have no expertise or advice to give. I don't want to "clug up" the thread, but just want you to know I am out here praying for you both!!!. With each day that goes by is a milestone the 2 of you have travelled together in this journey You may not realize but you BOTH are getting stronger with each day. You in your heroism and Anubis in still being here on this earth, with you. He WILL turn that corner, girl, keep on the march. So proud of you. Loads of hugs for you young lady!!!
Thank you so much! These types of comments are crucial for me at the moment. It's really encouraging for me when I'm applauded for what I'm doing to help Anubis. It's a tough journey, I can tell you that. It's emotionally and mentally draining. I have not gotten any sleep, I haven't been eating properly, and I've just been so stressed out and depressed. But I have to do what I have to do. I know in the end it will be worth it. And as I say I'm overwhelmed by the amount of support I'm getting.

Anubis and I are very grateful for your kind words and support! Thank you! :)

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are so welcome, dear. Just remember, you need to keep yourself strong and encouraged in order to be there for anubis. So proud, keep up the fight and good work. We're all out here pulling for you both!!