PLEASE HELP!!!!

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks good in the picture.  You are doing a terrific job.  Try to get some sleep when you are stressed out he can tell and it may make him a little stressed as well. 

Can you try using a slightly wetter cloth on his eyes so more moisture can work on softening the goop.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I see he has no extra heat source. I know it's hot out, but he still needs extra warmth. Can you make a rice sock or hot water bottle like we mentioned earlier?

You have got to keep compresses on his eyes until they open. The longer they stay closed the more the pus builds up and the worse his eyes get. And it means his drops are not getting in his eyes to heal. This is seriously a big issue right now.

I would try to give him a teaspoon of food every two hours through the day.

You really need to eat and sleep or you will make yourself sick. Please take care of yourself through this.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I, like so many others of us out here are praying for you and your little guy, just wanted you to know. I keep silent because I have no expertise or advice to give. I don't want to "clug up" the thread, but just want you to know I am out here praying for you both!!!.
I too have no expertise or advise to give, but having just read through this entire thread, I wanted to let you know I'm also out here reading your updates and praying for a complete recovery for Anubis.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
I too have no expertise or advise to give, but having just read through this entire thread, I wanted to let you know I'm also out here reading your updates and praying for a complete recovery for Anubis.
Thank you! This makes me so happy!! I'm so glad there are wonderful people out there rooting for Anubis. He's a fighter. He's still hanging on so that must be a good thing right? Thank you so much for your support. "Thank you" is not even enough to show how grateful I am. I'm blessed to have encounter such wonderful people on this forum. [emoji]9829[/emoji]️

Anubis would also like to thank you on his part [emoji]9829[/emoji]️[emoji]9829[/emoji]️

& don't worry Sarthur2 Sarthur2 he has a hot water bottle next to him. I covered it with a pillow sheet and a towel but I made sure he is receiving the heat.
He already ate (still force-feed). I've already given him his anti, and his nasal. I'm still working on his eyes though. It seems like he does try to open them. He does have clear fluid coming out of them though. But like I said, I'm not giving up. I'm currently doing warm compress. And I'll give him some pedialyte to keep him hydrated.

Last edited:

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you been working on getting his eyes open?
Yes I have. I don't know if this is going to make any sense but I'll try to explain.
Ok so I went on the bathroom, turned on the hot water and let it humidify the bathroom. I placed Anubis on the floor with his blanket. Then I started picking up trash that was left in the bathroom sink and floor. When I grabbed a plastic paperbag that was next to Anubis, when I crumbled it, I guess the noise must have startled him and he opened his eyes! He stared at me for like 2 seconds then closed his eyes again! I can see a little bit of movement in his eye as if he is trying to open them. It's kind of like if he's taking a peak. I can see his third eye lid though on both eyes. He does not have that yucky sticky gooey discharge, but he does have a clear discharge. Yesterday I told my vet about the third eyelid and she said its normal. But I'm having my doubts. I was able to see it when he had his eyes opened, and I'm quite unsure if it's normal. I've never ever seen my other cat's 3rd eyelid before, then again she has never gotten sick. I'm about to feed him again in the next hour, and I'm going to start giving him water as well. He's getting some color in his gums but I have noticed that sometimes they go pale..

Last edited:

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh and I don't think he likes being near the heat of the water bottle. He moves

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So his eyes aren't stuck shut.  Maybe he just doesn't have the energy to keep them open.  When I've been really sick I sometimes have trouble keeping my eyes open.  Is the light too bright in the room he's in?

That's okay if he moves away from the bottle.  He will move towards it if he gets chilled.  Keep warming it up so he has that option.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So are you getting those drops in?

How much of his inner lids are showing? No, it is certainly NOT normal, I can't imagine a vet telling you this.....

Poor guy, the bag scared him!

His keeping his eyes closed all of the time is worrisome. I mean, not just some of the time because he is resting from not feeling well, but all of the time?!

Wow.......I look at this like he is in really bad shape, I mean I know he is anyway, but I am just lost for reason with this, even sick kittens open their eyes.

Maybe they are irritated, get the drops in as due and let's see if anything improves with this.

Tmrw morning hopefully there will be some improvement, don't expect him to go zipping around chewing your ankles but maybe a bit of an appetite would be nice to see.

You're doing great!!

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes i just put the drops in just now. Next dose is by 12:35 am. The eye drops are also antibiotic so I'm hoping it may help. He does have beautiful blue eyes!! I've seen them when I brought him home (he was able to open his eyes a little bit).

A few things have happened. Usually when Anubis urinates he gets up, sits still, and pees. I don't notice it until he moves.. When I prepared his food I put the cup close to his face to see if he would smell. I think he may have sensed it because he started smacking his lips. Also, he got up, walked and tried to pee on the corner of my room! His eyes were JUST A LITTLE BIT open when that happened.

I can not tell you has much of his third eye lid is showing. I'd actually have to show you in this case, but this however is not a good idea My vet has even seen his eye the day I took him and she said he will need eye drops.

Fingers crossed he starts recovering..

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is encouraging.  You really are doing a terrific job with him.

Does he have a litter box in your room?  It doesn't need to be large, but he should have something close by his bed.  No sense in creating problems for later.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
This is encouraging.  You really are doing a terrific job with him.

Does he have a litter box in your room?  It doesn't need to be large, but he should have something close by his bed.  No sense in creating problems for later.
Not at the moment. Anubis is very random when he urinates. and also my room is very small, & since I'm still living with my parents they will not allow a litter box in the room because of the smell penetrating. When he's better, alert and recuperates his sense of smell The potty training begins with a squared shoe box. I will try to train him the same way. I trained my other cat Once he's older I'd probably have to get a separate litter box just for him. I read there are risks when cats share a box..

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay he SO needs a box.

If you have to find a cardboard box and cut the sides down low to about 6" and put a plastic bag in it then some dirt, he must have a box, it is not a good idea to allow him to pee anywhere, things like this become habits too easily, and the least desirable thing in a cat is not using the box.

Surely your parents would rather him use a box than the floor.......

The antibiotics are starting to take effect :)

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know if it's just me, but I think Anubis is possibly developing a scruff. Now I can actually pull his skin by the scruff. Before he had nothing to pull, even the vet assistant said so herself when she was trying to look where to insert the sub-q fluid. I pulled it gently and it somewhat snapped back, not too quickly, but not too slow either..

Last edited:

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
& it doesn't stay looking like a tent either

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes he eats what I give him, but he still doesn't eat "voluntarily". I still have to srynge feed him unfortunately. I'm giving him 5ml of water every 10 minutes or so, so I'm guessing (and hoping) that's the reason why he isn't as dehydrated. And I know food plays a role in it too.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey, I think he's breathing better!!!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Remember, his improving will come in baby steps :) He is a VERY sick boy, but once he is well on the road to recovery it will go much faster, for now, baby steps.

Yes, a dehydrated cat or kitten will have barely any scruff. The skin is flattened when it has no water in it.

Fur is clumpy and ruffled. Scruffy appearance.

Be careful not to fill his tummy with too much water with no food in it, he needs some serious food intake too.

Last edited: