PLEASE HELP!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
How is he doing this morning?
Can I do both water and pedialyte?
Well one change I noticed is that he no longer sounds like if he's "snoring" or trying to catch his breath. So I think he's getting better now and he looks so comfortable when he sleeps now too. He still has discharge coming out of his eyes though. His next eye drops isn't until 11:00 am. I just gave him his oral antibiotic 15 minutes ago.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would continue to use the pedialyte while he is in recovery.

He needs to begin eating today. He's been too long without food. Please see if he will eat something today.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
I would continue to use the pedialyte while he is in recovery.

He needs to begin eating today. He's been too long without food. Please see if he will eat something today.
I can no longer use the pedialyte I had because it's been over 48 hours and the bottle is a bit expensive. Will homemade pedialyte still be beneficial for him?

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you've had the pedialyte refrigerated it will still be good. You just warm it before using it.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
If you've had the pedialyte refrigerated it will still be good. You just warm it before using it.
I warmed up the left over canned food from the other day when I brought Anubis home. I warmed it up and I'm trying to feed it to him with a srynge. He still refuses to eat but will it be bad if I still feed it to him ?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The canned food has probably gone bad by now for sure. I would not use it.

Can you get powdered kitten formula at Walmart and a kitten bottle?

He would probably suck kitten milk from a bottle since he's only 6 weeks old. Otherwise, you need to get new cans of pate-style wet food and see if he will eat some.

Do not use cow's milk!

Last edited:

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
The canned food has probably gone bad by now for sure. I would not use it.

Can you get powdered kitten formula at Walmart and a kitten bottle?

He would probably suck kitten milk from a bottle since he's only 6 weeks old. Otherwise, you need to get new cans of pate-style wet food and see if he will eat some.

Do not use cow's milk!
I had it in the fridge. I warmed it up and gave him some. The smell attracted my other cat from the other room and she went crazy over it because she loves canned food. However Anubis still did not seem interested at all. I don't think he can even smell properly yet. Even though he sneezes a bit better now. His next nasal drops isn't until 11:50 am. I'm starting to get frustrated even more. I just want him to get better. I know it's not going to happen in 5 minutes. But it's just so heartbreaking and I feel like I'm failing him.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you get kitten formula? This would be ideal.

Do you have tuna? He might go for the juice.

He HAS to have nutrition.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The problem is you have a six-wek-old kitten who is not weaned to solids yet. He likely got dumped where someone would find him and care for him, but he does not yet know how to eat solids.

He does not feel well, which puts his appetite off, but he has not eaten in two days that we know of. He will starve to death if he doesn't get nutrition. If you force feed feed him and it gets in his lungs he will get pneumonia and die.

If he could suck a bottle that would be ideal.

Have you already tossed the pedialyte?

Last edited:

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@sarthur2  what about her using a .5 ml syringe to assist feed kmr to her kitten? I have done that in the past with older kittens who were sick and it worked. Easier to get small amounts in without getting it into his lungs. He needs nutrition to help him heal.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, she can try a tiny amount of wet food at a time. Half an mL at a time. He's only 6 weeks old, so tiny amounts are appropriate if he'll swallow it.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know what to do anymore... I'm trying everything I can... And there is still no sign of recovery.. It breaks my heart.. I'm really stressed out because no matter what I do I still can't get him to at least open his eyes. I'm scared he won't make it. I have him sleeping on my lap and I just broke down. Could it be that I saved him too late? Or am I just doing everything wrong...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He needs to go back to the vet. It sounds like his system is shutting down.

Can you call the woman who took you to the vet? Also call the vet.

This is not good, but you need to stay calm and rational.

Are you able to get water in him?

Last edited:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
You are doing everything right, you mustn't worry about that. You sought help from people who know about sick kittens by posting here, you got Anibus to the vet and you've been following instructions round the clock. It is very upsetting to try to help a very sick cat - you're having a very hard time right now but you really are doing the right thing. You are this little boy's angel, taking him in and giving him comfort and love. It may be the first time in his short life he ever had that. You have a very big heart. I do hope he starts showing improvement soon.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the vet cannot save him the kindest thing to do is to euthanize him.

He won't make it if he's not eating and he has not been eating. He may just be too young to pull through.

I know you have tried everything. I just think you need to be prepared for him not to make it.

Will he even take water?

Smear some honey or sugar water on his gums to see if he will revive. How is his breathing? Is it labored? Do you see his sides going in and out when he breathes?

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
He needs to go back to the vet. It sounds like his system is shutting down.

Can you call the woman who took you to the vet? Also call the vet.

This is not good, but you need to stay calm and rational.

Are you able to get water in him?
He's pretty much the same as he was yesterday..
And my dad was the one who took me, but he doesn't come out till later in the afternoon and at the moment I have no one to take me.

I called my vet but she was busy so I have to wait until she calls me back.. And I just can't take this anymore.. I'm so heartbroken.. All I can do is cry...

I have just given him chicken broth but I will try to give him water right now