Pipsqueak needs vibes and so do I........:(

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lauren, the good thing is that you are so on top of this situation. I'm very happy to hear the Mr. Pip is still eating; I imagine that has to be at least a little painful for him. The poor little guy; I wish I had some magic words to say that would make him all better. Hopefully, the vet will have an "a-ha!" moment and know exactly how to fix the Pipster's problem. I've got my fingers crossed that the vet finds a simple solution quickly.
Don't let it get you down, sweetie. You and Pip are both fighters, and I just know everything will be ok.

Good news about Perkins and Perla!
Head skritches to all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Libby
!! Pipsqueak is acting totally different this afternoon than I posted earlier. He has come upstairs
he has been carrying around his puff ball mewing loudly so I will toss it for him
and right at this very moment, he is curled up next to me on the couch while I post on TCS
He hasn't done this in over ten days
. I wonder what has changed??? This must mean he is feeling better today or it must mean he wants me to know he still loves
me and is forgiving me for all of the chin care and pills
. I hope he understands that we HAVE to go back to the vet tomorrow though. I will see what Doc thinks of the chin and if we need to do a culture. I hope that won't be painful, I will have to leave, I won't be able to hear him cry out.
Don't know what is involved in taking a skin culture, it doesn't sound pleasant.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are cats amazing creatures or what?
Of course Pip loves you, and it does sound as if he's feeling better.
As for a culture of what's going on with his chin, I don't think Mr. Pip is going to care for it at all. Maybe the vet will give him a local before he takes the culture. I would assume he's either going to see if he can aspirate some fluid or take a scraping, neither of which will feel very nice.
I do hope Pip continues to be his old playful self for the rest of the evening; I hate to say it, but I don't think either one of you are going to have an enjoyable Tuesday. But, if you manage to come up with a solutioin to the Pipster's chin issues, it will be worth it.
There's a big cyber (((hug))) beaming across Illinois to you, sweetie; toss that puff ball around a few times for me, ok?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whatever the reason, it's so wonderful to hear!

When our vet did a skin scraping on Chumley to make sure he didn't have some kind of skin parasite, it was just a little tool that took like a second, and Chum didn't even know it was happening really! I know Pip's chin is painful... but I think the "skin scraping" sounds far worse than it is!

I'm hoping that's what happening is that there's a fungus causing this, not a bacteria, and all it will require is a switch to an antifungal from the antibacterial! As Pip stresses more easily than the others, it could simply be that his is worse because his immune system is just more senstive.

for Pip AND meowmy!!!!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Libby - I feel your cyberhugs
and so appreciate them. A few tosses from you for the Pipster

Laurie - I am sure that is why the other's are recovering from the acne and Pipsqueak is not, you are right. His immune system is definitely more sensitive due to his high strung nature which makes him more susceptible to medical problems. Also, his acne has been going on for two months now and progressed to a severe state. Now it will be a real battle to get rid of. I have read that some cats (if a bacterial infection) need to be on antibiotics for up to 4 to 6 weeks. I guess I better stop reading about it on the internet, can be dangerous

A skin scraping is just that, scraping some skin off the top layer. I think a "culture" is something more involved
??? I guess we will find out tomorrow morning...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You'll have to let us know.
I was under the impression they just need to do the skin scraping to have the stuff to culture.
I hope it's that simple!

I didn't realize it could take that long with the antibiotics! Is he getting stressed enough with the pilling that it's worth getting a cat bag?
Carolina recommended the Klaw Kontrol bag. We haven't had to use it yet (though I'm working up the nerve to use it on Chumley - if he'll fit in this size LOL - so I can clip his claws). But just reading the reviews made me think it could be a real life saver. Obviously it doesn't work for every pet.... but for the vast majority, it really seemed to calm everyone down, and make it less stressful.

Continued !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feralvr

Libby
!! Pipsqueak is acting totally different this afternoon than I posted earlier. He has come upstairs
he has been carrying around his puff ball mewing loudly so I will toss it for him
and right at this very moment, he is curled up next to me on the couch while I post on TCS
He hasn't done this in over ten days
. I wonder what has changed??? This must mean he is feeling better today or it must mean he wants me to know he still loves
me and is forgiving me for all of the chin care and pills
. I hope he understands that we HAVE to go back to the vet tomorrow though. I will see what Doc thinks of the chin and if we need to do a culture. I hope that won't be painful, I will have to leave, I won't be able to hear him cry out.
Don't know what is involved in taking a skin culture, it doesn't sound pleasant.
That's great sounds like he's feeling a little better. Good luck at the vet tomorrow. I hope the vet can get Pipsqueak's chin cleared up

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I didn't realize it could take that long with the antibiotics! Is he getting stressed enough with the pilling that it's worth getting a cat bag?
Carolina recommended the Klaw Kontrol bag. We haven't had to use it yet (though I'm working up the nerve to use it on Chumley - if he'll fit in this size LOL - so I can clip his claws). But just reading the reviews made me think it could be a real life saver. Obviously it doesn't work for every pet.... but for the vast majority, it really seemed to calm everyone down, and make it less stressful.

Continued !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I certainly could order one and have it on hand. With so many cats now
It might come in handy with Pip and other's down the road. My fear would be that it would cause him more stress getting him into the bag. Will look it up, have not seen one. Thanks

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to let you know I"m thinking about you and the Pipster, Lauren. Best of luck at the vet's today!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So Doc says I need to be more patient..... LOL. Pipsqueak was so good at the vet's this morning. Didn't make one peep with all of the scraping and probing on his chin. I couldn't believe. Doc said he might be putting on a spectacle for me at home. It was not painful for him at all at the vet's. So, there is no mange, there is no ringworm/yeast. If it was ringworm, it would be showing up with other lesions on his face by now. It has been two months with the chin acne. Also, the things (I can't remember the medical term - Pyoderma lumps
) on his chin are not lesions. They are very, very deep infected pores causing hard lumps. The one pustule on the left side that was huge last Tuesday when doc saw him, is almost gone. The other's have erupted in the last week. They are very hard lumps and we couldn't even get a good enough sample to send for culture. He was only able to get on of the hard lumps to drain and it was only a tiny bit of puss, mostly blood and that was not enough to run the culture. This is very unlikely yeast or fungus, about 4 percent chance.

Since this is such a deep infection ( severe Folliculitis like he has runs very deep into the skin ) it will take up to six weeks on the Baytril to clear it up. I am to only wash it once a day gently then apply the Mupirocin ointment. No warm compress and I am not to really touch it much at all. He is certain we will get this under control, but I have to be more patient and let the Baytril do it's job. He said that the only reason he would even recommend a culture was to see if we are treating with the right antibiotic. Baytril really IS the right one for what Pip has. Will be keeping my fingers crossed that the next week will bring about improvement.

As far as his being down, doc suggested taking him off the Elavil for four or five days and see if he perks back up. I don't know if I want to do that and then start all over again. Anyway, I was surprised when we got home from the vet how up he was. He took his pills well and ate some treats, a good sign. Then he was following me around and cuddled next to me as I started on the computer today.

I am glad I took him in anyway today to ease my mind and just have doc look at it again. He said that he has seen worse
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lauren, I'm SO glad you took him in, even if the result is just peace of mind that you're doing what you need to do.

And apparently you've got a drama queen - and now a drama king!
Pip's working it for all it's worth... and you know what? Your poor little high strung boy deserves it, I guess!

And if it runs that deep, then it CAN affect the lymph nodes, right?

Come on, Baytril, do your job!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As to the elavil... he's on a low dose, so stopping and starting may not be such a big deal. If he's bothered by the pilling, maybe it is a good idea to give him a break for a few days to see what happens?

On the other hand... maybe it is a good idea just to have him stay on it. As it does make cats sleepy, until their bodies adjust... I know you miss your Pip.... but maybe it is better to have him resting a lot while the baytril does its job?

I know, no help!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think this is fantastic news, Lauren!
Who would have thought that Pip might be a drama queen.....king? It does sound as if your vet if confident in his assessment of Pip's treatment. I'm assuming you trust him enough to believe he knows what he's doing.

As for the Elavil---if it were my cat, I'd probably stop the Elavil, at least until Pip's other issues are under control. He's on such a low dose, and hasn't been on it very long. If you decide to put it on hold for a while, you could wean him off gradually (a pill every other day, maybe). You have to do what you think is best the little man.

I'm hoping the vet was able to set your mind at ease (at least a little bit
). I know how it is when one of your babies has a problem---you want it fixed yesterday.

Sending Mr. Pip some speedy Baytril , and a (((hug))) for his Meowmy.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Lauren, I'm SO glad you took him in, even if the result is just peace of mind that you're doing what you need to do.

And apparently you've got a drama queen - and now a drama king!
Pip's working it for all it's worth... and you know what? Your poor little high strung boy deserves it, I guess!

And if it runs that deep, then it CAN affect the lymph nodes, right?

Come on, Baytril, do your job!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As to the elavil... he's on a low dose, so stopping and starting may not be such a big deal. If he's bothered by the pilling, maybe it is a good idea to give him a break for a few days to see what happens?

On the other hand... maybe it is a good idea just to have him stay on it. As it does make cats sleepy, until their bodies adjust... I know you miss your Pip.... but maybe it is better to have him resting a lot while the baytril does its job?

I know, no help!
Oh Laurie
YOU ARE A HUGE HELP no matter what
. Yes, you are right, the lymph nodes are swollen due to the deep tissue infection he has going on. and YES, he is a drama
Pip!!! Doc palpated the nodes and not a peep. He didn't even look as if he was in pain. Dr. Mark said "he really isn't in much pain, Lauren " And I said "Well, he was screaming out at home when I would work on his chin LOL". I guess the really hard lumps don't hurt him much. Also, now that I won't be "doctoring" the chin twice daily that might help him to relax a bit too.

As to the Elavil, I am on the fence, I think it will help with the stress of this whole chin ordeal. He is not using the litter box as often and I think that is a good sign that his bladder is getting a break too. Actually, yesterday afternoon and this afternoon he is out an about acting pretty normal. Last night he was definitely off. But if I am seeing him come around more and interested in looking out the window at the chipmunk family, socializing with his bro's and sis, then I think I will keep him on it. And Yes, you are right, a little extra rest and relaxation will help him with his chin healing up.

Thanks for passing along the video of Carolina and the Klaw Control Bag. Very helpful. I hope I won't have to do that with him though. I just have to be real quick with the pills. I tried stuffing the Elavil into one of those Whisker Lickins soft treats. He spit it out
after he realized there was something not quite right with the texture of the treat.

We will manage
we have too, don't we
. And we have to laugh about these things sometimes too
. I guess I am just a big worrier......

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

I think this is fantastic news, Lauren!
Who would have thought that Pip might be a drama queen.....king? It does sound as if your vet if confident in his assessment of Pip's treatment. I'm assuming you trust him enough to believe he knows what he's doing.

As for the Elavil---if it were my cat, I'd probably stop the Elavil, at least until Pip's other issues are under control. He's on such a low dose, and hasn't been on it very long. If you decide to put it on hold for a while, you could wean him off gradually (a pill every other day, maybe). You have to do what you think is best the little man.

I'm hoping the vet was able to set your mind at ease (at least a little bit
). I know how it is when one of your babies has a problem---you want it fixed yesterday.

Sending Mr. Pip some speedy Baytril , and a (((hug))) for his Meowmy.
Libby -
for all of your support lately here with Mr. Pipster. Yes, I am finding out he is more of a drama
than I thought.

He is on a very low dose of the Elavil and since he has been coming out yesterday and this afternoon, I am going to keep him on it to help with the stress of his condition. I can always change my mind in a few days.

The vet did set me at ease and I am glad I took Pip in (even though I could have waited
and saved a few bucks) BUT it was worth it to me.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you took Pipsqueak to the vet. Hopefully he'll be healed quicker than 6 weeks

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pipsqueak slept at the foot of my bed last night!!!!
. I carried him in and placed him on his spot and he stayed there all night long
. He is definitely feeling better today
. He has been up and about, played a little with Perkins, and is now cuddling next to me here as I post.
His chin looks about the same as yesterday but not worse. I am just happy to see him feeling better all around. I have decided to definitely keep him going on the Elavil seeing how his attitude has improved so much in the last twenty four hours. He does not seem as depressed
. I really hate to keep him on Baytril for so long,
but if it starts to clear this infection then it will be worth it. I am just hoping that this will not be a chronic problem for him. I have tried to change many different things and I even cleaned all of the cat perches in case there was something irritating to his chin on those. Hopefully I covered everything.

Perla's chin is totally cleared and Perkins is much better but not clear yet. OH here is something funny about Perla I want to share, Miss
Perla!! You know how I changed to the stainless steel bowls and they are all shiny and new. Perla took one look into the bowl at her first meal out of it, and freaked out at the reflection of herself and took off.
Back to the ceramic for her. Yesterday I tried again, Perla ran off again
My funny little angel!!

calvin&i

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feralvr

Pipsqueak slept at the foot of my bed last night!!!!
. I carried him in and placed him on his spot and he stayed there all night long
. He is definitely feeling better today
. He has been up and about, played a little with Perkins, and is now cuddling next to me here as I post.
His chin looks about the same as yesterday but not worse. I am just happy to see him feeling better all around. I have decided to definitely keep him going on the Elavil seeing how his attitude has improved so much in the last twenty four hours. He does not seem as depressed
. I really hate to keep him on Baytril for so long,
but if it starts to clear this infection then it will be worth it. I am just hoping that this will not be a chronic problem for him. I have tried to change many different things and I even cleaned all of the cat perches in case there was something irritating to his chin on those. Hopefully I covered everything.

Perla's chin is totally cleared and Perkins is much better but not clear yet. OH here is something funny about Perla I want to share, Miss
Perla!! You know how I changed to the stainless steel bowls and they are all shiny and new. Perla took one look into the bowl at her first meal out of it, and freaked out at the reflection of herself and took off.
Back to the ceramic for her. Yesterday I tried again, Perla ran off again
My funny little angel!!
Perla is surely a funny one

Glad that Pipsqueak is behaving more like himself - I think that's a huge yardstick to measure how they are feeling.

Don't feel bad about keeping him on the Baytril for so long - it seems to be doing it's job.
Lots of for everyone, with a little extra for Pipsqueak, Wilbur, DH and you

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't realize you had 2 drama queens---I'm sure the sight of Perla running from her own reflection was hilarious.

I'm so glad Mr. Pip decided that sleeping on your bed was a good idea after all. I'll bet that made you grin from ear to ear.

Still sending those 'get well quick' vibes your way