Pipsqueak needs vibes and so do I........:(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pipsqueak's medication (Elavil) should be arriving today or tomorrow. Doc will call when it arrives. Pip's chin is not as "dirty" BUT has three or four very, very red, large pimples. I am using the Hibiclens (thanks Carolina for the tip) and the Clavamox too. I have decided to stop the Hairball Temptation Treats and see if that might be the culprit
. Perkins, Perla and even Presley have minor chin dirt too.
..... So I am cleaning chins everyday. This is just a mystery to me. Walden and Wendall's chins are clean and I hope they stay that way

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea! for no special diet!

Lauren, have you discussed other any meds with your vet? If Elavil is going to affect his bladder somewhat, are there any other anti-anxiety meds that might be better? I know my sister's RB kitty Sheba would get so stressed she pulled her own fur out; she ended up on a tiny dose of valium.

Anyway, it's absolutely great news about Mr. Pip! Now, if you can just figure out what's causing that chin acne, the world will be in balance once again.

(think calming thoughts, sweetie
)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

Yea! for no special diet!

Lauren, have you discussed other any meds with your vet? If Elavil is going to affect his bladder somewhat, are there any other anti-anxiety meds that might be better? I know my sister's RB kitty Sheba would get so stressed she pulled her own fur out; she ended up on a tiny dose of valium.

Anyway, it's absolutely great news about Mr. Pip! Now, if you can just figure out what's causing that chin acne, the world will be in balance once again.

(think calming thoughts, sweetie
)
Libby,
Plan to discuss this with Doc as there are other options as well, Valium, one of them. So thanks for mentioning.
The Elavil is highly recommended for anxiety in cats. As I am typing, this Pipsqueak is carrying around his puff ball
doing is usual howling as he carries it!!!! He brings it to me and I have to toss it. Then he carries it around the house howling, very strange and silly boy. Anyway, I think the meds will be trial/error in the beginning. I am feeling confident that something will soothe his nervousness

Hoping for "balance in the World" SOON!!!!!!!!!!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Having experience with elavil, I understand why it's the first one to start with for the bladder issues related to stress.
Do keep in mind it will probably make him sleepy and less active for the first few weeks, but my experience is once their bodies adjust, they become their normal, playful selves again.

Just adding more for Pip... and I know that if the first one doesn't work, or you don't like the side effects (because every animal is different!), you'll try something else.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Started Pipsqueak on the Elavil this morning
!!! I am watching him closely today and the following days for any adverse side effects. The vet suggested 5 mg/once per day. I think I will start even less then that for today and tomorrow, 2.5 mg. I just have had some bad experiences in the past with drug reactions with pets and I am being "ultra" cautious.
hope this med. will work for him and bring him to a more relaxed state of mind!!!

His poor chin..... I am only seeing minor improvement and have one week left of the Clavamox. Cleaning it daily with the Hibiclens. Trying to figure out why a few of my cats have this. Their bowls are ceramic, and are washed/scrubbed after each feeding. So I know it is not from that. It has to be something in the diet. They still are on "some" Hill's W/D, only because Pipsqueak just loves it. But I am mixing it in with the EVO and slowly weaning him off of it. I have to keep them on some dry for the times I travel (which is rare) so Perla has something to eat. Perla will not come out for the pet sitter to eat the wet food.
So I am making some diet changes to see if the chins all clear up.....

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
for the chin acne issues!!!!

And the elavil won't cause Pip problems - and more importantly, will help!

Elavil is one of those meds that take some time to work up to proper blood serum levels.
It takes about two weeks. 5mg is a low dose.
Spooky was on 10mg once a day.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

5mg is a low dose.
Spooky was on 10mg once a day.
Thank YOU
, for telling me this. I didn't notice any changes in Pipsqueak today
. He was still "on patrol"
. Ok, so tomorrow I will give him the 5 mg.. Doc probably started him on a very low-dose, HE knows me so well
and is very cautious with all of my furkids

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending loads of chin-healing to the kids, and even more that the Elavil does the trick without making Mr. Pip loopy

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Lauren.... For Pips!!! FYI - Ceramic bowls develop microscopic cracks on the enamel and it does harvest bacteria as well - the best are glass or stainless steel....
Also don't use even a plastic matt underneath the bowl.... Hope all works out!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

Hi Lauren.... For Pips!!! FYI - Ceramic bowls develop microscopic cracks on the enamel and it does harvest bacteria as well - the best are glass or stainless steel....
Also don't use even a plastic matt underneath the bowl.... Hope all works out!
First of all, arn't you in Brazil!!!
. I thank you for checking up on Pipsqueak
during your vacation.

Thanks
for mentioning about the microscopic cracks that can happen in ceramic bowls. I was thinking about their ceramic bowls pondering if they are the culprit
and replacing them. They are over two years old. I do wash them daily, by hand, with dishwashing soap and a scrubby brush. I was just thinking yesterday that maybe I should get rid of them or donate them to the shelter, and buy stainless steel bowls for my babies. At this point, I need to try everything and anything to get his chin cleared up. It is very bad today.
. I am taking him to the vet next week to have his chin looked at again, and the lymph node looked at, it is getting bigger even though he is on the antibiotic.

Enjoy the rest of your vacation in beautiful Brazil.

p.s. I did get the Hibiclens

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

Sending loads of chin-healing to the kids, and even more that the Elavil does the trick without making Mr. Pip loopy
AW Libby - thanks
LOOPY PIPSQUEAK, please

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Back to the vet this morning
, thank goodness they had a cancellation. His chin has oozing sores, one is like a large pea size on the side on his lower lip. The lymph nodes are huge and swollen. Doc put him on stronger antibiotic, Baytril
. Also, (Libby - you mentioned this before and you use it for Jack) that ointment Mupirocin. I will also use that for Perkins and Perla as they have a very mild case of it too.
I just don't get this.....

I took away the Platinum Fountain because it would get too slimy and I was trying to keep up with that, very difficult to clean. Robin also was wondering if the fountain could be carrying some kind of bacteria as well. The fountain is made of plastic too. I also put away my ceramic bowls and bought stainless steel bowls. I am just trying everything I can think of and going
over this problem.

The Elavil is making Pipsqueak a bit sleepy, but he is still purring and playing a little at night. Doc said there are other anti-depressants we can try too if I think the Elavil is too much for Pip. But, so far so good
. It is SO bitter and it is getting hard to pill him. Between chin cleanings and pilling, Pipsqueak is starting to worry when I approach
. Makes me very, very sad. I give him a treat or treats after each pill and then he get a brush. He loves to be brushed

Thanks for listening, friends.
I am thankful for you all.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, poor Mr. Pip---he's a mess!
Has the vet said anything about what he thinks is causing that skin problem? Jack occasionally gets the chin acne, but he usually has some little bumps, scabs, tiny sores somewhere on his body all the time. Our vet said he has a skin condition that he was probably born with; I keep the Mupiricon on hand at all times. None of the others have ever had the chin acne, thankfully.

I understand Pip being leery of you now, Lauren; my Bridget is the same way. She has seasonal allergies and should be getting prescription meds for it. Unfortunately, she weighs a good 20# (if not more) and I can't handle her. I have NEVER had a cat that I couldn't pill---until this one. Even with Dave's help I can't do it. She doesn't trust me, and if I do try to pill her when her allergies are bad she runs away from me for days. Why can't the pharmaceutical companies come up with a fish or chicken flavor for cats?

I wish I had some advice for you, Lauren, but I know you're doing everything you can think of for Pip and the others. Did the vet say what's up with the swollen nodes? I've got you and your little fur family in my prayers; I'm sure the Pipster will be ok.

Sending loads of get well soon and a big virtual (((((hug))))) for you.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is what Doc said about the nodes. And I am pretty worried
. He is not sure the swollen nodes are related to the chin acne. Although, I am almost certain they are. Because as soon as that chin started with those large pustules the nodes grew and swelled at the same time. This was while he was on Clavamox too. So that did nothing to help the situation. Anyway, if the chin/nodes don't clear in the two weeks, he wants to sedate Pip to check his throat and teeth real good and aspirate one of the nodes. He did mention the "C" word and I don't know if he meant the large lump on the side of his chin or the nodes. I assumed the two were related and he wants to think the same thing but is not convinced. BUT if Pip has a serious "yeast" or skin infection that could enlarge nodes below the jaw bone, right???????

Poor Pipsqueak, he is just so spaced out today. I can tell he doesn't feel good at all. I am seriously praying that the Baytril/Mupirocin knocks out the infection and he will be fine in two weeks

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Lauren! Poor Pip! Poor you!

Of course an infection can be responsible for the lymph nodes. Mega masses of vibes that's what it is and the Baytril clears it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Baytril is quite strong, and definitely can make cats spacey. Do give it after food!)

!!!!!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Pip, and poor Lauren, too.

I suppose cats and humans don't work exactly the same way, but when my husband is sick the lymph nodes on the back of his neck swell something awful. He has a form of leukemia and those nodes are a clear indication that something else is wrong. I agree, if PIp has an infection in his chin that may very well be the cause of his nodes swelling.

I know this is so very easy for me to say but Lauren, try not to worry too much. Pip will pick up on it, and that can't be good for him. (or for you, either) Let's hope the Baytril and the ointment make a big dent in whatever is going on with him. Stay positive, honey. (((hugs)))

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Pipsqueak
I hope the vet finds out what's going on with him, and get him feeling better soon

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Looks like I will have to start him on Pred today. The swelling is unbelievable and the pain is incredible. He won't even let me touch it, and is hissing. His chin is about three times bigger than it was twenty-four hours ago. I can't believe he ate this morning and I did see him take a drink. Vet is calling me back soon and we will put him on the Pred for about five days. Will help with swelling/pain and hopefully by then the Baytril will start to knock out this terrible infection. I am also picking up Epsom Salts to use a warm compress to help draw out the infection. I don't know if he will allow it anyway, but I will try.

I did extensive research last night on chin acne. Pipsqueak's has progressed into severe Folliculitis. I read some pretty scary stuff about it. I am just praying this is not the start of a downhill spiral and an underlying more serious immune disorder disease. I am keeping up with Perla's and Perkin's chins too. Perla is pretty much cleared, but I will apply the Mupirocin for at least two weeks anyway. Perkin's is much better too but still mild black dirt by the next day. I wash his chin and apply the ointment twice daily. I certainly do not want it to progress into the next stage like Pipsqueak.

Poor little man, he is such a brave and stoic kitty through all of this. And of course, this is causing him great stress, which is not good for the bladder

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Lauren, poor Mr. Pip; that truly sounds awful! I can only imagine how Pip has to be feeling, and you must be a wreck.

My Jack (the only one with the occasional acne) gets Pred. 2x weekly because there is something compromised in his immune system. I truly hope the Pred helps your poor little man quickly.

As I said before, I know how difficult it is, but try to stay calm for Pip's sake. You're doing everything you can, it sounds as if you have an excellent vet, and it's all going to take time. I'm sending you a huge virtual (((hug))) and loads of (((healing ))) for Pipsqueak.

Take of yourself, sweetie.