Photo update of Lucas

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so true, I'm ok with the fact Lucas has to be on Prozac and prednisolone, if that is what will help him live a normal life, that is what I will do. I just want him to be happy.  Thank you:) Hug!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He seems to be losing the skinny look! Has he gained weight, or is that just his fur filling out?

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is an optical illusion haha, he hasn't gained or lose any weight, he has been  9lbs for months.  Here is a pic of my boy.  As most of you know, he was diagnosed with demodex mange in his ears, a devastating diagnosis for us, but he is getting treated and God willing he will be ok soon.  As you can see his eyes look red, but they are way better than they were when we started lowering his prednisolone,  since the vet thinks his problem has always been the demodex and the stress, we are trying to wean him off the prednisolone so he can easily beat the demodex.

My dream has been for 4 years to get him off prednisolone, so I"m so happy to see that he is on 2.5 daily now and doing better.  Once the demodex is under control, he should just stay on a small dose of prozac for now.

Here is my baby, he is feeling weak , taking too many meds

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much, he is feeling a little under the weather right now, he is also mad at me for giving him so many medicines, I feel so guilty for making him take them, but I have to do it.  He does't even want to see me, he looks at me and thinks of yucky medicines :(

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He seems to like that box an awful lot. Maybe a kindred spirit to my Christy--she has an absolute box obsession. I think some cats just like to sit in boxes, for the feeling of being in a snug little nest.

And hey, if he's got the energy to get mad at you for giving him meds, that's a good sign, right?

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BTW, just thought of something--when my cats are ill, they often seek out warmth more. D'you think Lucas would like a heater or heating pad, or a blanket on a sunny windowsill? Maybe it would help him feel better.

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't think of that, he does love his box a lot.  I was just thinking that you could be right, last night he slept with a fan and I think he was cold.  I won't turn on the fan tonight just in case.  It is just that our climate is so hot right now, I live in a tropical island Puerto Rico and it feels like summer right now during the day, but at night it gets a little cold.

Lucas can't be exposed to the sun because he gets sick when he does, 4 years ago our old vet told me he had  lupus and that was the reason he got fevers and all that when exposed to the sun.  But now, I'm not sure of anything.  Maybe he doesn't have lupus and  all he's ever had is the demodex mange. He gets sick when exposed to the sun of course, but it could be a coincidence or it could be that since he is almost white with a pink nose and toes , he reacts to the sun like that. 

I will make sure he is as warm and comfy as possible, thank you so much for your advice.  I'm spoiling that baby rotten, he is eating his favorite food anytime that he wants it, he is getting natural treats and he is sleeping  in his favorite spot on top of my closet right now.  He will finish his antibiotic tomorrow, yay! One less med for my lil darling;)

Tammy

Last edited:

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Allergic to the sun? Sheesh, poor guy! Perhaps warmth could be had by getting lots of lap time. :D Come to think of it, that's how Tiny got his warmth when he was neutered and felt out of sorts afterward. That was the first time he ever lay on my lap, and he didn't do it again for a good while afterward. I think the warmth of my soft (and let's face it, rather large) lap was just too much to resist!

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've been following Lucas's story and am so sorry he's now having to deal with mange, too. Lots and lots of :vibes: that it clears up soon and his lupus stays under control. He's such a beautiful boy.

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much, I never thought possible that a cat that is indoors, that I rescued since he was a tiny baby could get mange, but then there is demodex.  The vet thinks he's had it all his life,  and that perhaps he got it from his mom.

I just hope he responds to the treatment now that his is on a lower dose or prednisolone.

Hugs, TAMMy

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! Lucas has his vet's appointment tomorrow morning, will be updating soon:)

Tammy and Lucas

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks tired, but comfortable :) A warm bed, a doting hooman... what more does a cat want?

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Callista
 He is feeling better now,  but this morning he gave me a scare, he started trembling all over, but I think he was cold, I'm not really sure, but he is ok now.  Next week Lucas will be on  even less prednisolone, 2.5mg every  other day, I pray he does ok on that dose because  the success of the ivermectin ( med for the demodex) depends on his taking the less possible amount of prednisolone.