Photo update of Lucas

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hello, thank you so much for caring about of and for the suggestions, we don't have a compound pharmacy here,so I have the liquid prozac almost intact, can't get Lucas to drink it, I was worried about cutting the prozac pill in 4 but knowing you used to cut pills in 8 pieces is making me feel better about it.  Where can I get a pill splitter?  I didn't know about that.

Yes, Lucas has been on prozac and prednisolone at the same time, well,he's been on pred for years and on prozac for  just  a month and a week. 

I called the vet today and he told me to wait for a couple of days to see if he gets better, if he doesn't he told me to go ahead and give him the 5mg again. Right now, he is not scratching at all, his body looks perfect, but his nose, mouth and ears are all red and with a dark think over them.

I will keep updating

hugs, Tammy;

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I got my pill splitter at the drug store (pharmacy).  They probably even sell them at the grocery stores here.  Do you have Walmarts there?  I'll bet they sell them there. 

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my pill splitter today and it was so easy to split the prozacs in 4 pieces,thank you!

I got it at walmart for $3.

thekatsaysmeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tammy first off :vibes: :rbheart:
Second don't panic, this is just something
The vet us testing.... They need to find an exact
Med cocktail for lucas and doing so there gonna
Tweek his doses. The 5mg of pred was prob given
So they could taper him down sum cause you don't
Wanna over medicate him because you think it's the right
Thing to do, listen to the vet if anything give it a few days
Then tell the vet you strongly feel they should bring the dose of
Pred back up, I think he should be on
3.5 pred and 3mg prozac and taper him down off the
Prozac from there but you got to remember lucas doesn't adjust
To change that well and that goes for chemically as well
I know it's hard to watch your baby suffer but medicines
Trial and error and I know lucas will be better in no time
But it's ganna take a few ups and downs it's gonna be a bumpy
Ride but I'm here for ya two! And I know lucas is very lucky to have a
Great caring abd loving mamma kitty to help him through this

goodluck tammy
:vibes: lucas :rbheart:

Last edited by a moderator:

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Please remember to consult with your veterinarian before changing treatment based on advice given on the forums.  Your vet is in the best position to assess the cat's condition.

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the advice.  I ended up taking Lucas to the vet because he stopped eating and his eyes and mouth looked awful.  He told me to give him the 5mg of prednisolone again and I have to say Lucas took the 5mg yesterday and today and I already see an improvement, that boy can't be off prednisolone, no way.  All the vets that have treated lucas have tried weaning him off it, but it is impossible, he has Lupus and he needs it.  We just wish we could find a lower dose that could make him feel good, but it seems that he needs his 5mg. 

I"m also happy to say that as of today, Lucas has been on the 2mg of prozac and he is doing great, he is sleeping less, eating more and it seems he is not feeling dizzy anymore, right now he is on top of a closet, a big step because since he started with the 5mg of prozac he wasn't able to climb on anything,not even my computer desk without help. The most important thing is he is not pulling his hair and his hair is growing fast.

Here is a photo of the lil guy on the shelf of the closet, his favorite place to hide:

I'm feeling hopefull that soon he will be on a very small dose of prozac and doing fine. 

Last edited:

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you! This boy keeps me on my toes, but I have a good feeling , I think he is going to be just fine if we continue the treatment.

thekatsaysmeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sooo glad to hear tammy!
I love the photo if him in the closet lol, he's such an adorable
Lil guy how could we not love him!
But glad every things going well hope it continues
best of luck, xox

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update on Lucas: I'm super happy to say that Lucas is doing excellent, better everyday:)  I had to put him back on his 5mg of prednisolone, he was doing awful with the 2.5 mg the vet suggested, but he and I agreed that for now Lucas must take the 5mg of prednisolone, he gets too sick without it ( he has Lupus).  But he is doing wonderful on 2mg of Prozac, his hair has grown so much! And his behavior is almost back to normal, yay! He is not acting like a zombie anymore.

He started waking me up at 5am every morning again , yay!  Haha, that is what he always did and he stopped doing that when he started the prozac, I love to see him acting more like himself.  I know is crazy, but I love it when he wakes me up at 5am, that is my Lucas!!!

He is also eating better and looking so cute, but I haven't taken a picture, I will take a picture tomorrow so you all can see my baby

Hugs to all!

TAmmy

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Photo update!

Here is my sweet baby doing much better. He even wants to go outside for his walk, I will take him outside, with the leash of course, at night, he can't be exposed to the sun because of his Lupus.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Awww! It's wonderful to see him looking so healthy (and furry :D)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:wow: LOOK at Lucas!!!!!!!!!! OH, Tammy, he looks absolutely wonderful :clap::clap::clap: I am sure you are over the moon with how good he is doing. It just makes our day so happy and joyful when our little babies are improving especially when they have been sick for so long. We are happy when they are happy :rub: :happy3: :clap::clap::clap:

thekatsaysmeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh look at lucas with his lil tounge hee he! :D
He looks so good tammy I'm sooo happy to see him looking so healthy
And furry if he keeps getting so furry your gonna have to call him
Fuzzy #2 lol :vibes:

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
THank you! I can't wait to see him all completely furry like he was years ago, I miss that LUcas:)   yes, he could easily be Fuzzy part 2, they are brothers haha