Photo update of Lucas

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Hmmm, I'm not sure. I've only used 10ppms. That's what all the health stores here sell. I would think it would be okay, but I think Laurie, or Carolina will be able to answer that better for you, as they have more experience with that strength, & for kitties.
 Sorry.  Will Lucas let you give him a bath? I was just thinking maybe something soothing for itchy skin may feel good to him & maybe help?

When Angel used to go outside, & get really dirty from rolling around in the dirt, I used the Oatmeal & aloe shampoo & conditioner from 1-800 Pet Meds. It's for itchy skin & I think it helped a little.

.....Just a thought. 
 ..anything to help him feel better. Poor baby! Give him lots of love'n from me!!!!  He continues to be in my prayers!!!!!!

Hugs for you too!!!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tammy, I can try to send it to you from here of you want.
You don't need to bathe him in. Soak a cotton ball in CS and wipe his back with it. Also drop it in his ears. It will dry off quickly so it is ok if he licks.
Let me know and I can buy here and send it to you; hopefully it will work out :cross:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Kelly and Carolina! LUcas lets me bathe him , I could try to find a shampoo to help his itch.

Carolina, thank you so much! I really feel bad about bothering you with this. I know you travel and work hard.  If is not too difficult we could do that, only if it isn't too difficult for you.

How much is it? I want to send the money first with shipping of course.

Thank you so much!

Tammy

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The price on Amazon.... Mailing shouldn't be big deal. Look up the link I sent you before. Let me know and I order it for you :)

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much Kelly! I will check if i can get it.

Carolina, i found a seller who ships to PR, but thanks so much. If for some reason they cant ship it i will them let you know.

Hugs!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much Kelly! I will check if i can get it.

Carolina, i found a seller who ships to PR, but thanks so much. If for some reason they cant ship it i will them let you know.

Hugs!
Good :bigthumb: Let me know Tammy - I will be happy to send it to you :rub:

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: I had to take Lucas to the vet today for an evaluation because they wanted to see him once again before letting be buy the prednisolone. That doesn't bother me anymore, they care about Lucas and they dont even charge me for the check up, I think they feel sorry about Lucas.

Ok, they were sad when they saw him looking so bad:-( they checked his ears and found demodex. They them decided to fo skin scrapings, this is why I didn 't want to take him to the vets. I knew they wanted to do it and he's been through this before with the other vet and the result was negative. So, they did it and my baby was so brave, my heart ached for him. The results: No Demodex in his back, sides ot belly, only in his ears.

They think it can be stress again, if you go back to my first post he did get better with the prozac. But they also think it could be demodex all over his body and it doesnt show in the scrapings.

They told me to give him the prozac again because that worked the first time. But the truth is he was di dizzy and sleepy and U had to make him eat sometimes because he was so sleepy.

I think I should wait some time before making this desicion. Keep him on TF and cs snd just wait and see....

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I'm sorry to hear that Lucas is having a set back, & he had to go through the scraping again.
 Is there any reason he would be stressing? What about a Feliway diffuser?

Can you cut the Prozac dose in half, so maybe he will get a little better, but not be so lethargic?

I will be praying for a complete healing. Poor baby has been through so much.
 Hugs for Lucas & you!!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Tammy... :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Well, if it was demodex on his back, I'm not sure why the prozac would have helped make it get better. So what about Kelly's suggestion? A smaller dose of prozac? :dk:

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes Kelly and Laurie, that is what I've been considering, a low dose of prozac.  I have evidence it helps, but I"m also a little confused because he got better months after being off prozac, and one of the vets at the clinic told me that he could have gotten better with the prozac because he was sleepy and just didn't scratch, but  I don't know.  It is like you say Laurie, if what he has on his back was demodex  he couldn't have gotten better with the prozac, he had to still have a rash right? and it dissapeared completely. 

I just want to do things one step at a time and I don't want to make mistakes.  

Things that could be stressing him , well, I think I made a mistake in  walking him every night.  Like I said in a post before, every night he stands in front of the door and screams , he wants to go outside.  Sometimes I can't do it and I think that stresses him.  Also, when he goes out he enjoys it soo much that he looks tense because he doesn't want to come inside and he is anxious everytime I grab him because he doesn't want to come in.  I bought the harness because I wanted him to have fun outside, but maybe it was a bad idea and it backfired. I'm not sure that is the problem that is causing him stress, but I can't think of nothing else.  Nena bothers him sometimes too, she is a bad kitty sometimes.

Anyway, I"m mentally exhausted, but still determined to go on and make him better.  If prozac is what he needs he will get it.  I just want to wait a little and try the cs and keep him on the transfer factor and see what happens. The back is bad, but not as bad as he was before I started this thread, so I feel I can wait a little.  I hope you all understand that if I can keep him off an antidepressant I will, I want him to take as little meds as possible.  But if he really needs it I will of course give it to him.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm SO sorry this is happening, Tammy.. Just found out.

You've probably been over every single possibility, and I'd probably find out if I read back through all the posts, but is there any chance at all that it's an allergy to something really obscure?  Not food because I know you've looked at that, but something in the house?  Something you clean with?  Air freshener? Even fabric can cause allergies.

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be allergies, but it is so hard to find out to what he could be allergic.  I stopped using perfume because of him and I don't use anything with odors just in case.  The litter is also unscented and dust free.  I really don't know.  But it is like Laurie said, if it was allergies he wouldn't have gotten better with the prozac.  But still, I don't know for sure.  With Lucas I'm never sure.

What is for sure is that he needs prednisolone to be well, he has demodex in his ears and he has a rash on his back, belly and sides.  The rash is in places he can reach and scratch. He just won't stop grooming. He does is until there is no more hair in the area.

I'm also giving him Rescue Remedy in his water, just in case is all stress.

What saddens me the most about giving him prozac is that even though he is scratching, he is back to being Lucas, he has his personality once again, and I love it.  He is a purring machine, he purrs so loud you can hear him from far and I love that.  HE's been like that since the day I found him.  Lets see what happens.

thank you all:)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Here's hoping that the CS works, and I really swear by the flower essences..

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tammy I think you might actually be dealing with 2 issues , demodex on the ears and allergies on the body. The reason why I think this way is the season has changed and he's gotten worst with the change. The same thing is going on with Bugsy. Last year his vet suggested to keep him on a low dose of prednisolone from April through September (high pollen season). Prednisolone controls the allergies and might also not be a coincidence that by lowering the dose Lucas got a little worse. It might also be the reason why the vet didn't find demodex on the body scrape. You might need to treat the two issues separately. The allergy by increasing the dose of Prednisolone, and the demodex on the ears with CS. I think Prozac helped by doping him up; however I do not think it was really taking care of the real issue.... IMHO it might just be a coincidence. anyways just some thoughts for consideration.
It just dawned on me by reading the posts above and
putting all together and seeing what Bugsy is going through too. Pollen is really high right now on spring, and humans and pets alike are suffering quite a bit.
:vibes:

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is very interesting Carolina. That is something that I haven't considered. And what you are saying about the prizac doping him is exactly what one if the vets at the clinic told me, it is possible he just stopped scratching because he was doped.

And, since I've been taking him outside is is possible that the allergies have affectef him more because he is more exposed.

Thank you for tellinv me this Carolina, How is Bugsy? Is he scratching too?

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you see my first post here in this thread , it was also in May that he was sick, it started before like in april, exactly like is happening now!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Yup, I was thinking the same thing Carolina said about the pollen, given the time frame it happens. Yea, the outside thing is a tough one. Angel went from going out on his own during the day, to on a harness only. Then, after his first UTI,  (last Aug) which was from bacteria, I said "that's it, no more outside."  It was not easy taking him out on a leach. He also was never ready to come in, even when I would stay out with him for an hr. (I took him out morning B4 work, & after I got home).  Because he was never ready to come in, & couldn't be out on his own, I would have to pick him up to bring him in, & he was not happy about it. Sometimes he would hiss at me, & I even got slapped in the face a couple of times!  I was taking him out on a leach as a compromise to not going free on his own anymore, but I think it just stressed him out more, & it also stressed me, so it was all just a big cycle of stress!!   I thought he would have a hard time transitioning to indoor only, but the Amitriptilyne he was on for his bladder really helped! (anti-anxiety, as well as anti-spasmodic).
  August will be a year that he has been indoor only.

As far as the possible allergies, have you ever given Lucas anything for allergies?  The vet told me I could give Angel a 1/2 a generic Clarition a day.  (at 14lbs).