Photo update of Lucas

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tammy, I just started this thread at the beginning, and read through to the end. :heart2: As you say,

The only problem we are having is that the vet is insisting on lowering the dose of prednisolone and Lucas needs 5mg everyday. Now the vet wants me to give Lucas 5mg of prednisolone every other day and I will try, but I know it won't work , I know Lucas too well.
This is what his Lupus looks like, Tammy. :heart2:

[/quote]

And this is what he looks like now:

:heart2: :heart2: :heart2:

Please consider ordering the 500ppm colloidal silver, and trying that before anything else. :heart2:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you both Carolina and Laurie, you are both right and I will order the CS tonight.

Im so sad, The demodex is on his back already and he is looking worse by the minute:/(

I know he does well on 5mg, he always have, but it causes the demodex to flourish all over. I will have to bathe him on CS to be successful. He even has black stuff around his eyes.

I still havent lower his dose, im too much of a chicken.

I will order the CS , i hope it arrives fast!!

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is not that I haven't learned fron all that has happened with Lucas. Is just that maybe, maybe with the help of the TF It would be possible to try to lower the pred once more. But I agree now is not the time to fo that. Thank you all!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, at some point, Tammy, maybe. But he's only been on the TF a couple of weeks. :(

I know he's uncomfortable and itchy - but which is worse? Demodex? Or the Lupus? I hate that you have to make choices like that - but right now, that's the situation. :(

It would be WONDERFUL if the CS can help! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is an awful choice I have to make. He will suffer anyway. I know it is too soon for the TF to help, Sometimes I feel desperate and I have no idea what to do. I gave him the 5mg of pred. He just wont stop scratching.

The first picture at the begining of this thread where Lucas has that horrible rash, the vet says that was the demodex and not the lupus. But who knows anymore? All I know is that when he has a lupus crisis he gets a fever and he wont eat or walk and his eyes look all full of puss. So, it must be the demodex what causes the rash. Right now his lupus is under control, the problem is the demodex.

I hope the cs helps, i just bought it online.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It will, have faith :cross:
Put it in his ears 4 times a day in the beginning, and wipe the rashes with a cotton ball soaked in in 3-4 times day.
Demodex will bother him, but the Lupus nearly killed him this last time Tammy.... I know it sucks, it does. :rub: But like Laurie says, you need to prioritize. In this case, Pred keeps him alive. Now we need to find a solution for the demodex. Imho cutting the Pred is not it. :vibes:

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, I will do it, thank you Carolina. I'm just so tired of seeing him suffer. Just the thought of putting drops in his ears that many times a day makes me want to cry. He will be so atressed, he also has anxiety issues, but I have no other choice.

The problem is once I stop doing the treatment with the cs , the demodex could come back. If it does, i will have to put the cs on him forever and that really scares me. That is no life for him.

I pray this helps and that I wont have to do it fir all his life.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tammy, the one who gets really stressed is you. You have to learn to control your stress and your emotions, for Lucas' sakes. Lucas will get used to it. But you can't be all freaked out every time you put a drop on his ear. Yeah, if you do this, he will be stressed out and it won't be his fault.
I used to PILL Bugsy many times a day. That video you saw was nothing. In the beginning Bugsy was IMPOSSIBLE to pill. And he was very strong. Two vet techs tried at the same time. Couldn't. There was a reason for that bag. I had to have a very cold head a firm attitude, dealt with him very matter of factly; as though it was not big deal. Bugsy today is just about one of the easiest cats to pill.
It is not a cliche. Your kitty will feed on your mood.
So Tammy, the first order of the day, if for YOU to take care of your mood and stop this mind set. I have seen this so many times. "lucas is Soooo stressed with this, or that, or the other".... When really, the one freaking out is you.
Sorry for the honesty..... But this is for Lucas and your good.... :hugs:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tammy, Carolina is so right!

When the cats were kittens, and we had to give them parasite medication, Gary and I were really nervous. As a result, the kittens were impossible to handle, the liquid meds were on the walls.

Whenever I give someone advice on how to medicate a cat, the FIRST thing I point out is that the REAL key is being calm and confident. And that's the hardest part of it.

If Lucas needs 4 drops of CS in his ears daily for the rest of his life, it's really no big deal! Cats that have diabetes may need a shot daily. If they have hyper-T, they may need a pill daily. Yet those medications improve their quality of life - they make them feel like normal cats. What is four drops in an ear? When you are calm, and Lucas is used to it, it is simply routine. Get bottle, shake it up, suck some liquid into dropper, reach over to Lucas - DROP DROP DROP - done. Takes maybe 10 seconds?

He likes to be petted? You'll be "petting" him with a CS soaked cotton ball. Add another 30 seconds.

That's it, Tammy. :heart2:

And if it works, he'll be happy, comfortable, healthy, and itch-free. :rub:

He won't like it at first. But if you spend a few minutes breathing, clearing your mind, visualizing it being quick and easy, and approach it with calm and confidence, it'll be over before he even knows it happened. It takes a little practice, but you CAN get there. :heart2:

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH Tammy.... I have thought a lot about what you are going through and it breaks my heart for you, hun. :hugs: :hugs: and for Lucas. :rub: It is like a double edged sword. :shame: If you decrease the Pred. (which I don't think will help and I will explain why) then the "lupus" will take over. If you increase the Pred, then the Demodex will flourish. :sniffle: I am really upset for you and for Lucas. We care so much for you both. :hugs:

I tried to do some looking because you are in between a rock and a hard place with Lucas' health. This is not by any means an answer but I guess any thoughts at this point will be helpful. :dk: Cortisone is a drug specifically designed to weaken the immune response which can be a good thing as in an autoimmune disease. It doesn't cure anything; that's not what it is for. It will help stop the itching of the mange (symptom) but will also allow the mange to thrive by depressing the immune system. :( Once cortisone has been used, recovery from mites becomes very difficult. Since mange, is a sign that health is poor and resistance is low , a more effective solution is to build general health with special attention to the liver to ensure strong resistance levels. I think the liver needs to be strengthened. Homeopathy can be invaluable in building up the immune system. SO.... what I am saying is that I think lowering the dose of Pred is NOT a good idea because it won't help, at this point, with the Demodex because he has been on the pred so long.... it won't matter. Does that make sense??? :confused: For some reason, it does for me. The statement above hit home when I read it... Once cortisone has already been used, recovery from mites is difficult. (meaning, even if you lower the dose, it won't make a difference in the recovery. So I would not do it. - lower the dose. You know what I mean.... the demodex only came on as a result of his own immune disorder - NOT because of the Pred. This all came to me last night during some research.

I honestly think that if I were in your shoes, I would call my holistic vet who is in Florida. He is amazing. and has saved my dog's life, Wilbur. He should have been gone two years ago. !!!!! Wilbur has multiple health issues as well. Dr. Wessner does phone consults. This is a really special doctor. I wholeheartedly believe in his remedies. Here is his website. http://holisticvetclinic.net/ This is no joke, I tell you, this man is a gift. I found him through an animal communicator, Ellen. Laurie knows all about this too. It might be worth a call. His wife's name is Blair and she answers the phone. You are dealing with two major health issues with Lucas but I think they both boil down to the same underlying problem.

Also, there is a book and this vet believes in giving pet's low doses of Pred. Very worth reading, IMO. Dr. Alfred Plechner is another incredible veterinarian. Scroll down to the book called Pet's At Risk http://drplechner.com/about/books-by-dr-plechner/ That is the book that might be of great value to Lucas and to you. :heart3:

I think the CS will help and the addition of the 4Life Transfer Factor. I just started Wilbur on the capsules - one a day. :nod: All of these things will help the immune system build up naturally. Again, I think the liver is a factor here as well, for some reason.

These are all just my caring thoughts. I figure that if nothing else, you know that I care a TON about you and Lucas. I wish Lucas was not dealing with such diseases, but he is. We have to figure out a way to manage him, both physically and emotionally. Not easy, by any stretch. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know.... In Lucas' case he is super easy to pill, he is a pro and believe me I dont act all stresses and crazy when I put drops in his ears, he just hates it like all of us hate it. If it was pills if would be no problem at all.

I will do it no matter what and I will calm down, Im just sick of everything he has to go through, makes me sick. But Im always strong for him because i love him.

He is feeling oj right now, he has thd itch, but he is so active. He made me walk him twice last night.

Your honesty doesnt bother me Carolina, I understand how much you care and I thank you for it. But is not easy to go through this again and again, he was doing so well..

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Laurie and Lauren, I appreciate everything you have told me, thank you so much for caring about my boy.

I underdtand what you say Lauren but the fact is that when Lucas got sick last time (he vomited for 10 days) the demodex completely dissapeared because he vomited the ptednisolone every time, in fact he couldnt keep anything down, si he was preactically off prednisolone for days and his ears and skin cleared almost inmediately.

But still, he needs the pred so that doesnt matter antway...

I also read that revolution can help with demodex sometimes, but no I prefer to try the cs and not something that toxic.

I will let you all know about how he is doing soon. I will not post for a while.... I need some time ....

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know.... In Lucas' case he is super easy to pill, he is a pro and believe me I dont act all stresses and crazy when I put drops in his ears, he just hates it like all of us hate it. If it was pills if would be no problem at all.

I will do it no matter what and I will calm down, Im just sick of everything he has to go through, makes me sick. But Im always strong for him because i love him.

He is feeling oj right now, he has thd itch, but he is so active. He made me walk him twice last night.

Your honesty doesnt bother me Carolina, I understand how much you care and I thank you for it. But is not easy to go through this again and again, he was doing so well..
Tammy, Lucas' drops was Bugsy's pilling..... My point is, with time, and with your calm and relaxed attitude, he will get used to it. I promise :hugs:
I know it is not easy..... :hugs:

Last edited:

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, thank you and believe me I will do it, No matter how difficult I will always do whats best for him. I dont like it, but I will do it.

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Im spoiling him rotten. I had to take him for a little walk in the yard at 10 pm, I mean, how can I say no to that sweet adorable face?he ate bugs and butterflies as he always does. He is now sleeping peacefully next to me.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just catching up, ..didn't open the computer all weekend.  Yes, Great advice & reminders for us all about staying calm for our babies. Thanks ladies, it's sooo true!

How's Lucas doing today?

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Kelly, Lucas is not sick right now , I mean, he eats well and he is active, but he keeps pulling his hair and scratching like crazy, I can't take a photo oh his back because it is all red and hairless, just awful. To make things worse my order fir the C S was cancelled because they dont want to ship to Puerto Rico! And they sent me a message last night! The nerve !!!

So this morning I went to all the stores that sell natural medicine in my area in hopes to buy it here, but not one store has 550ppm, only 10ppm.

I will just try to buy it online again, im in such a hurryyyyy! This is crazy.

I also have some questions about the CS. Lucas has a rash on his back and his belly and also his face and neck. I will have to almost bathe him in CS and he will lick it off becausevthat is what cats do. He will ingest cs 550ppm everyday for some time. I know you have all told me it isnt dangerous, but remeber he will be ingesting it and it is 550ppm. I just want to make sure this is safe. With Lucas I worry about everything.

Thank you!
Tammy