Pee NIGHTMARE!

gatosmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A number of friends and family members can't believe the lengths I have gone to get this issue settled.  So many times I hear that if they were dealing with this that they would've given the cat up by now but that just isn't an option for me.  That would be like giving up a child just because they wet the bed at night.  Sadly, I even had one supposed cat lover tell me I should just put her down because she had a health issue a few years ago.  I not-so-kindly told him where he could stick his opinion.

I haven't tried the spray yet but the one I was thinking of was NATURE'S MIRACLE[emoji]8482[/emoji] Just For Cats No More Spraying Stain & Odor Remover.  Not only is it a cleaner, it is supposed to also deter her from remarking.  I was considering coating the bedroom around the edges to prevent marking in areas she hasn't hit yet.  I am hoping that the 2 times I caught her being naughty were because it's a new place but I doubt it.  She's moved with me 9 times in the past 14 years and has never sprayed before.  Until this past summer she had only sprayed one other time in her life and that was her response to me giving her a bath (I can't remember what she had gotten into but she smelled so bad that I had to give her a bath....ooooooh she was mad at me!).  After getting her back to using the box or a puppy pad, the only "fluids" going outside the box were when she sprayed.  I do think that she has either lost her scent due to kidneys or maybe she's losing her sense of smell.  Her urine is starting to smell like cat urine again, which is good news but stinky, and I haven't had an issue with her using the box since we moved in.  Of course we got her the automatic box so she gets to use a clean box every time.  Happy kitty, happy kitty mommy.

The Feliway diffusers haven't worked for me.  I currently have 2 and can't afford the refills at $100 a month.  I've used the Nature's Miracle stain and odor remover before and that worked on areas where the urine hadn't soaked into wood furniture.  I plan to get this stuff this weekend and hope it works just as well.  Even if I go through multiple bottles a month, they are only $13 each and much easier to budget than diffusers.

Here's one of my sweet girl's face.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thesighrye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@GatosMama......I can't even believe that your "cat loving" friend said that to you. That infuriating. I can't even imagine how YOU feel. Awful awful, awful....Thank god you have her, and not someone else. 

I totally hear you on the diffusers. Even though on Amazon it's a little over $11, that's an expense that can add up, and quickly! Sometimes I'm barely even able to do just the one. There seems to be more use out of the spray, and you're able to control how much you use. 

Your Cleo is so sweet! 

I believe the kind of NM I used was the "Just for cats" kind. It's worked pretty well. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thesighrye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good morning, everyone!!

I so wish I wasn't updating right now!!! I think you can gather what I'm about to say.....

We have pee in the bathroom :(

Here are the contributing factors as to why this probably happened, and why I'm probably not going to be too worried:

*We began to wean her off of the Prozac (after discussing it with her doctor) and began administering it once every other day for 3 weeks, and as of a week and a half ago, once every four days... so that is really the only thing that has changed.

*The rug that she peed on has a soft rubber backing, exactly the same kind of mat she peed on in the bedroom last time we had an "isolated incident." It is the only rug of it's kind in the house, and kitties sometimes thing it's litter!...

*We need to play with her more. Plain and simple.

*She could very well just be stressed out and NEEDS this medication.

*Also, this could be nothing, but there is a small patch of fur that has disappeared on her ear. It is VERY small, couple millimeters in size, and doesn't look like she's irritating it.... so, it could very well be nothing, but now that I think of it, it wasn't noticed until the past month, when we started to wean her off of the med... another sign of stress, or just a coincidence, I don't know.

Anyway.....I hope you 're all well and I hope to hear back from you lovely people when you're not busy with real life. That's what has kept me from here lately! Silly life. Lol :D I'm gonna let her back in the bathroom once the Nature's Miracle dries. I'm not terribly worried. I'm going to give her the Prozac this weekend and speak to her Dr on Monday when they open....