Pee NIGHTMARE!

dalya

Dalya
Young Cat
Purraise
hahaha

I know!! he's so adorable! I wasn't planning on having a cat but I saw him! and I was in love!

OMG this is why he peed on the same spot!!! ok so I'll get a cleaner. that's a new info for me! thanks for sharing! actually I also denied Dolce from going into that room where the carpet is. then he started to use the box again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thesighrye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
GOOD! I would say keep him out of there until you have fully cleaned where he has gone.

Like I said, google "Nature's Miracle" and there's a whole line of products. My vet also sells something called Urine Away or Urine Off, something to that effect....but yes, DEFINITELY get a cleaner specific for pet stains! Just cause we can't smell it doesn't mean that they can't!!

Also, if you chose to go with the NM cleaner, and you have previously tried another cleaner on the spots you are about to treat, I would go back and do it a second time. I had attempted to clean some of the other spots with other enzymatic cleaners and I wanted to be certain that it would work. 

Keep me posted and feel free to ask anything!

Seriously, anytime you need anything! This issue is still  a very fresh wound in my mind....so I won't hesitate to offer any help where I can give it! Pee is awful to deal with....ugh!

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Miss Bellatrix seems to be doing alright. I may have developed a little paranoia since this all began because I've been dutifully checking her litterbox every day and it seems she doesn't pee very often in general, and thinking back, that seems to have always been the case.
I can relate to this one!!! I think we all get this way when something like this has happened because of the worry that the progress we have made may go to the wayside. BUT - I think these updates are great and I wanted to just drop in to see. Continuing vibes for continued positive reports. :) :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

thesighrye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much!! I appreciate you checking in! Yes, so far so good is what I keep saying. Every day a little baby step. She seems to enjoy having (almost) full reign of her kingdom once more

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
. Every day a little baby step. She seems to enjoy having (almost) full reign of her kingdom once more :lol3:
:clap: :cross: :clap: (I had to put those fingers crossed in between the claps. :lol3: - but I am cautiously optimistic VERY MUCH SO - for Bellatrix)

thesighrye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Thank you!!! I've been loving the input and the check ins and the  feedback, thank you so kindly. I can't wait to hear updates from the other ladies as well!
 It's so nice to have my crazy, adorable, weirdo kitty basically back to her normal self. We are leaving for a mini vacation on Sunday for a couple days. Fingers, paws, and toes crossed that she continues to be a good booboo

gatosmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So far so good!  Friday's vet trip was an expensive one though.  Cleo is slowly getting back to not peeing on the carpet.  At first I had to remind her when she came into the bedroom to go potty before bed (I swear I'm talking about a cat and not a 3 year old kid) but not so much anymore.  The vet wanted me to bring in a sample from the litter box so we had Cleo penned up in the bedroom and she didn't go on the carpet once.  The vet suggested getting the calming diffuser, calming treats, and the super expensive Rx calming food to see if that helps.  We are also keeping a box in the bedroom temporarily and will slowly transition that out into their litter box closet as we see progress.  So far, so good... no accidents (deliberate or otherwise!).  She goes back on the 25th for a teeth cleaning and they will draw more blood then.  That is when we will know for sure how her kidneys are doing and if this is all just anxiety or the start to kidney disease.

How is Miss Bellatrix doing?  Is she back to being a good kitty?

Last edited:

dalya

Dalya
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh I'm kind of struggling. He still pees outside the litterbox. But it looks like it happens when he's afraid or mad only!

thesighrye thesighrye

gatosmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I understand that Dalya!

I asked my vet about using a litter attractant and she said it really is only for young cats or cats who can't find their box.  That doesn't sound like the problem we are having.

Have you gotten him neutered yet?  I refuse to own male cats because of this - they like to mark their territory.  I really haven't had those kinds of issues with female kitties unless there was a health issue or anxiety issue.  I don't know about you, but our cats are treated like children (they are the only kids I'll ever have) so when they are naughty on purpose like that they get scolded, maybe even spanked, and they lose privileges to the room or area they peed on.  With Cleo this time around I have even rubbed her face in it.

As others have suggested, you need some kind of cleaner that breaks down the enzymes in cat urine that bring them back to that spot.  If he pees outside the box when he's scared - there may be nothing you can do about that except pray he out grows that as he gets older.  As for when he's mad - that can get tricky.  You can discipline up to a point before all it does is make him more angry and make the problem worse.  I tend to scold, scold, (possibly) swat the butt, and rub her nose in it before bringing her to her litter box and reminding her that's where she is supposed to do her business.  I then mostly ignore the cat for an hour or so then gradually give attention again.  When I notice she has used her box or she has gone all day with peeing on the floor I praise her and do weird things to get her excited, give her hugs, etc.  Positive reinforcement works better than punishment but if what they are seeking is your attention, they will take it anyway they can get it - positive or negative.

@thesighrye - we are having city inspectors come through our apartment today so we had to leave the bedroom unblocked (or risk getting hit with a fire hazard fine) so we decided to leave it open yesterday as a test run to see how Cleo would do.  She passed!  Hopefully the strangers coming through today won't mess with her progress but I will take whatever progress I can get!  *knock on wood*  She has been accident free since Thursday afternoon (holy crap, I just realized it's been a week!)!

gatosmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@Dalya One thing I forgot to mention in my other post and I'm not sure if anyone else has said, it is not good to give cats the milk humans drink.  You can use it as an occasional treat here and there but it's not good to do regularly or in a large quantity.  Cats are missing something in their digestive system that breaks down milk.  The same is said about canned tuna.  If we give our cats any kind of dairy or tuna it is usually only a few licks/bites worth. 

thesighrye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@GatosMama  CONGRATS!!! That is amazing news to hear! I think you're well on your way to breaking this nasty habit of hers. As I've said before, I totally understand where you're coming from treating them like kids. My boyfriend and I have chosen not to have kids either, so kitties are IT! MAYBE a dog is in our future. But that's a big maybe. Anyway...I digress! Congrats on your week milestone!

We just had a mini milestone as well. We went on a brief getaway, early Sunday morning til Tuesday evening/afternoon...my father and stepmother were in charge of taking care of Bellatrix. We decided to leave the bedroom door open during this time, because she has her special shelves in there and we had allowed her in for about 3-4 days before we had left with no issue (still off limits from the bathroom, though) AND....NO accidents at ALL! I think I can officially say we are past this problem! Fingers, toes, and paws crossed!

I'm so happy to hear of you rsuccesses :) Good for Miss Cleo! <3 I commend you for your efforts. This is quite the hurdle to get over. That's why the title of this forum isn't "Kitty Pee Paradise" :D

@Dalya  So sorry you're still going through this... like we've mentioned, have you gotten the enzyme cleaner? Natures Miracle makes the cleaner, but it also makes the carpet shampoo as well if you're still having issues with carpets or rugs in particular. I can understand the cat being anxiety ridden or stressed and peeing in that instance, but I don't believe cats pee when they're mad.... they don't puke when they're mad... they don't do much at all when they're mad! Well, except inflict wounds and hiss of course, lol. But... do you understand where I'm coming from?

I would also suggest perhaps placing the litter box where the cat has been soiling... and slowly but surely moving it back to where it belongs, and make sure it is in a private place when it finally "lands". Does the litter box have a lid on it? If so, take it off. Some, most, cats don't like lids. Bellatrix is a freaking weirdo, so she will scratch ALL over the place when she's doing her business... even so far as to stretch her paw as much as it can go and scratch the wall. She knows that's not the box. But hey, whatever floats her kitty boat. Pleeeeease keep me posted and let me know if you need anything!!!

Both of you! I like keeping up with your stories because I so so SO feel your pain. <3 <3 <3

thesighrye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@GatosMama  Ooh ooh! They make a special milk for kitties! I think it's literally called Cat Milk. Comes in little purple packages that almost look like juice boxes. My mom feeds it to my 19yr old cat back at her place and always has :)

But yes, milk only once in a great while as a treat. We do that for Bellatrix on holidays or special occasions.... we actually recently gave her Fancy Feast for the start of our vacation actually, lol. First time eating it... gave her the whole can and mixed in her little .5ml of Prozac and everything. She ate it ALL. Fatty. :D

dalya

Dalya
Young Cat
Purraise
thesighrye thesighrye
gatosmama gatosmama

I've discovered something new recently. I live with my parents here. And I was watching the house cameras. We have two maids in living in the house with us and they don't know that we have cameras. I saw in the cameras that they were kind of beating the cat up. Like, they kick him out of the way and throw things at him. Do you think this is why he pees everywhere? Is he scared? He's not even 3 months old yet!

thesighrye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Dalya  Oh... my god. That could ABSOLUTELY be a HUGE factor in all this!!!

I would strongly suggest talking to your parents about this if you haven't already. Like GatosMama said, it's one thing for a little spank on the butt for doing something bad... but what you described sounds like straight up abuse. Especially when it comes to someone you work for... they should be respecting your home and your property, including any and all animals.

I hope I'm not overwhelming you but that made me really upset. No WONDER your poor kitty is having these issues. I really think that is a big (if not THE) reason why he's acting like this. Especially cause he is so young. He will learn too quickly that he is being bad just by walking around, this isn't good!!!

Again, like I've said, keep me posted. I am officially emotionally invested in what happens!

gatosmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@thesighrye is right (and hearing about that upset me too!). Not only will it cause the problems you are having but can cause post traumatic stress disorder. My ex-husband threw a wooden stool at Cleo when she was 7months old. He did it out of anger and only once. He didn't even hit her but that was enough because she didn't trust ANY male for over 4 years. She is still skittish around strangers, especially any with booming voices. Her 1 brush with abuse 13 1/2 years ago scarred her. Your housekeepers are lucky they don't work for me, after abusing my beloved pet they would never find work in the area again.

thesighrye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@GatosMama  You're not kidding. I'd make sure their only options left were far, far away!

Bellatrix was found in the woods by my boyfriend's mom. For all we know she was thrown from a car, herself. She is very skittish at times... and we have NO idea what happened to her for the first 8wks of her life! So sorry that happened to Cleo :(

On a side note, of course I don't know your situation or live there obviously, but it wouldn't hurt to check up on those cameras often to double check that they're not doing anything else shady! @Dalya

gatosmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One step forward, two steps back.... story of my life!

For the past couple days, Cleo has been pawing at the carpet in front of the bedroom door.  The floor is never wet, so I assumed she was pawing at her old scent and trying to cover it up.  This morning I got the nasty surprise of what's really going on.  The little butthead (most definitely not the word of choice here but I am keeping it public friendly) is spraying the bedroom door now.  She most definitely isn't peeing but she is hitting the door with a small spray of something.  GRRR!

thesighrye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@GatosMama
Oh noooooo :'( I'm so terribly sorry.

I know exactly how you feel. This is how I felt that morning when we discovered it all over the bed frame. What an awful feeling.

So. I'm sure this has crossed your mind, but if there is evidence of spraying and not necessarily peeing, this is leading me to believe it could all be behavioral/mental/emotional/ whatever you'd like to call it. If you're still continuing to do the blood work for the sake of monitoring her kidneys that's still a great idea, maybe it's that...oh man!! I feel your pain so much.

thesighrye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And I must say I have too many cutesy nicknames for Bellatrix but I've called her much worse when she was bad! Definitely not safe for public conversation! Lol