Our "little Yellow" Very Young Mother Cat

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck to you! I'm hoping to read next that momma and kittens are all safely inside your house and protected from the storm. It's wonderful of you to help them. :goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry everyone that I have not stayed on top of our "Little Yellow" story. I've been in overload mode right now, and way behind staying on top of things.
My last posting showed the plan for our rescue of Little Yellow and her kittens. But it didn't work out like I had hoped. I've posted the info that I spelled out in my personal diary about Little Yellow. Read below:

5/5/18

Little Yellow had become so used to me that I finally decided to try and capture L Yellow in a cat carrier, then attempt to find her babies and re unite them with L Yellow in our garage, for her to continue to care for them in a safe place.

Didn't work out. Got her in the carrier, but she freaked out so I had to let her go. And that was the end of our rescue plan.

Little Yellow headed straight back to her babies at rocket speed. But within about ten minutes she was back eating her breakfast. I did't attempt to even go out to greet her for fear of setting her off again.

After about thirty minutes she was back again for more food and water, just like yesterday.

I'll wait until this evening before I attempt to greet her again. Hopefully she will return to normal with my loving caresses.

Hopefully we may be able to do a rescue when she shows up with her kittens
at our feeding area on our porch. That seems to be the only alternative.

For now it's back to the same routine we have been doing up to now successfully. And I'm going to stick with it until someone helps me out with guidance

5-7-18
Update:
Little Yellow is again allowing me to caress her, but in a more cautious manner.
She is still visiting our feeding area on our pation as in the past. Boy, am I glad for that !!

And as every day passes she is requiring more visits to our feeding area. So things are more or less "back to normal" for now.

But I sure would appreciate comments about how to cover this situation now. I Sure do not want to scare her again at this point. But I'm still very concerned about her and her babies safety.

My wife says that we should just go out to the burrow and try to rescue her babies, even tho she may be there. Then hope she will follow them.

Quit frankly this situation is one that I do NOT have a plan about how to hopefully rescue Little Yellow and her babies.

My only idea was a failure. I sure don't want to make things worse! I just want to make a happy family for Little Yellow and her babies.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
George&Sheila

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try going out to the burrow with some soft food. Mash it up with some water to make it easier for the kittens to eat it. See if she'll call them out to start eating.

The hard thing about trapping is that you have to stick with it even if they freak out in the trap/carrier. It's upsetting but you have to remember it's for their own good.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a separate room set up for her and the babies? She'll need a nesting box (large cardboard) with blankets to finish nursing for a week or more.

As your wife suggests, it may be easier to catch the babies first. Little Yellow is likely to willingly come inside if her babies are already inside first.

Otherwise, you can go with your instinct and wait until the babies are moving around more and following Mom to the food.

Kittens grow from not being able to walk or run very well to being able to walk/run away very quickly. I think now may be the time to "nab" them, while they are slower.

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try going out to the burrow with some soft food. Mash it up with some water to make it easier for the kittens to eat it. See if she'll call them out to start eating.

The hard thing about trapping is that you have to stick with it even if they freak out in the trap/carrier. It's upsetting but you have to remember it's for their own good.
Hi Willowy,
Thanks for your information.
Her babies are now five weeks old. And it is plain to see that Little Yellow is eating food from our porch at least three to four times a day. And also drinking a lot of water. I'm assuming that by now they may be ready for some really soft food.

I'll need to monitor the food when I take it to them otherwise Mother could just eat it there. If I run out of time to watch, just bring it back in and try again later.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep everyone posted.
Regards,
George

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have a separate room set up for her and the babies? She'll need a nesting box (large cardboard) with blankets to finish nursing for a week or more.

As your wife suggests, it may be easier to catch the babies first. Little Yellow is likely to willingly come inside if her babies are already inside first.

Otherwise, you can go with your instinct and wait until the babies are moving around more and following Mom to the food.

Kittens grow from not being able to walk or run very well to being able to walk/run away very quickly. I think now may be the time to "nab" them, while they are slower.
Hi Orange&White,
Thanks for your comments.
Yes we have a separate room all set up for Little Yellow and her babies, complete with all their needs.
The trick now is to actually get Little Yellow and her babies all in that room without losing track of one of the babies.

Problem that bothers me by going with my instinct's is the fact that the burrow is around 300 or more feet from our porch, where Little Yellow comes to feed. Do you feel that they may be able to follow mother for that far, to feed?

I think I'll try Willowy's suggestion next and see if that will bring them out right close to the burrow. Then catch the babies first, then hopefully be able to also catch Little Yellow.

Thanks for your help. I'll keep you posted.
Regards,
George

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They should be moving around pretty well by 6 weeks old, so they will be able to follow Little Yellow to the food very soon.

I like the plan of taking the food out to the burrow though too.

Last summer a feral kitten was abandoned in my front yard by his mother. He cried for over 24 hours and she didn't come, so I trapped him. He was around 5 1/2 weeks old, eating solid wet food, and so fast on his feet that I named him "Dasher". :)

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with your wife, but whatever you decide to do, definitely don't stop once you start. Even if little yellow is unhappy in the carrier, it's just temporary, don't let her out.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens will be coming out soon. Just wait until they come out.

You can put food near the brush pile though.

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Orange&White, Ileen and Sarthur2,
Thanks for all your comments.
I'm currently leaning toward the idea of waiting until they come out with Little Yellow and make it to our porch ( our current feeding area for Little Yellow). Then hoping to be able to gain control of them at that point in time.

Although I'm reasonably sure I can capture Little Yellow one more time, in our good sized carrier, there are other issues that scare me.

One issue is the fact that we are not sure how many babies there are. we think there is three, but have not seen all three. I'm guessing three as Little Yellow's breasts only show three being used.

Next issue is the nature of the brush pile. way too many possible openings to be sure we would find all three if we went looking (if there is three). It would be devastating to discover we missed a baby due to not being sure how many we are actually looking for.

That's why we are currently thinking to wait for mother and babies to show up together.

Regards to all three of you for all your help. We will keep you posted.
Thanks so much,
George&Sheila

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A quick update --
I just checked our feeding point.
I'm able know when Little Yellow has been here for food and/or water. So far for today she has been here 4 times. And most likely will have one more stop this evening.
Regards,
George

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure Little Yellow has taught them to be quiet so as not to attract attention from predators. However, I think after you trap Little Yellow and the 3 kittens, if you are missing one or more, they will be crying their little heads off.

When I trapped that abandoned kitten last year, I found it because it was crying so much. My neighbor said it had been in my front yard meowing for momma non-stop and loudly for all the 8-9 hours I was at work.

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your input Orange&White,
That is great to know. I had no idea that the babies would be crying for their mother if we missed them.
When it comes to mother cats and her kitty's we have no knowledge of how they react due to us never having been introduced to kittens over all the years we have been cat lovers.
This our first attempt to save and love Little Yellow and her kitty's.

We have been cat lovers since the early seventies. And we have had cat's forever. Probably over twenty five or more cats over the years. But they were always strays that we befriended due to our love of cats. But none were pregnant when we met them. That's why we have so many questions that you and the others are helping to answer for us.
Regards,
George&Sheila

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
5/10
Update on Little Yellow:
5/9/18 Evening update

Later on in the day I noticed Little Yellow acting a bit different than usual. She was spending a lot more time away from the burrow. Because of this situation I was able to take a really close up look at the burrow.

And I was unable to find any babies. I even made noises but never heard a sound or saw a baby even tho I did a careful search, even with a flashlight.

The more I looked the more I realized just how complex all the paths were in the brush pile. A LOT more than I imagned. And it made me realize that the fact that our first rescue didn't work out was probably a good thing.

At the same time I was concerned about not finding any traces of the babies. And had bad thoughts about a predator getting the babies. I was really worried!

But later, while I was working in the shop, Little Yellow returned and just by luck I saw him show up and go into the burrow. Got my biniculars and started watching Little Yellow. Next thing I know, one of her babies showed up again, just like the day before. That means that things were still good. But I don't have a clue now as to how many. Three different times I've seen one only. Never two or three at the same time.

Whew, I am SO releaved!

5/10/18 Morning

Little Yellow showed up as usual for morning feed. And showed back up two more times before noon.

Things seem to have returned to normal. Know more as the day moves along.

After studying the brush pile, my decision to wait for Little Yellow to bring her baby, or babies out is the right one. I'm convinced that is the best shot to have a successful rescue.

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
5/12/18 Evening

Last evening, for the first time Little Yellow brought out a couple of her kitties. We watched at a distance as Little Yellow guarded the two that came out. They were both black/grey Tabby's, like their father. Cute to the max!

We watched for a while. They appear healthy.

5/13/18 Hallalulia!!!

This morning Little Yellow brought out her third kitten along with her other two. And she is a spitten image of Little Yellow, a yellow/white Tabby. So Cute, just like her mother!

Turns out that my guess of three babies based on her breast,s use proved me right.

What to do next. That's my question for now? They have not vintured out away from the brush pile. And there are just too many tunnels for them to jump back into that I don't want to try a rescue right now.

I'm thinking wait until they all come out and follow Little Yellow to our porch feeding point that Little Yellow is comfortable with. Then try a rescue.

I'm a novice at this so those following this thread, please feel free to comment on what approach you might suggest. We have set up a room with bedding in a good sized box and a cat box.

And of course all the food and water needed.

Hoping to hear some ideas!

Regards,

George&Sheila

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My only reluctance in agreeing with you to just wait until Little Yellow is bringing the kittens all the way to your patio is that every single day, those kittens are going to get faster on their feet. They're likely to be able to make a quick beeline back to the brush when they see humans, and hands, coming toward them. On the other hand, they'll be just as quick and even easier to find hidey-holes in the brush pile if you try catching them out there.

Perhaps you could set up an extra-large dog kennel on the patio and start putting Little Yellow's food and water in there? When she starts bringing kittens, you may have an opportunity to have the entire family eating in the kennel and just pull the door closed with a string tied to it. Be easier to move them all through the house to the safe-room too perhaps.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She will bring them to eat soon. Once she does, if you sit down with them, you should be able to bring them all in. Since Mom is friendly, the kittens will likely follow her lead.

Feeding mom in a crate is a good approach though.

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply Orange &White and Sarthur2. Really appreciate your comments!

I can close off our patio area by applying chicken wire up to about three feet high. Not a big issue to do.
Most likely that will work for Little Yellow's babies. But I'm not sure about keeping Little Yellow in the same area before she takes off and climbs over the top.
Is it safe to assume that if I leave the babies on the patio that Little Yellow will still come back and allow me to "rescue " her also?

I'm assuming that I should attempt to rescue the kittens first, then deal with
catching Little Yellow, right?

Thanks for all the advice. I'd be lost without your imput. THANK YOU!

Regards,
George&Sheila

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. Here is an update on Little Yellow and her babies. A lot has happened since last Sunday. Below are the notes from my ongoing diary of Little Yellow and her babies. And it's all good news

5-15-18 AM
A day to remember!

Little Yellow had breakfast as usual and gave me a good loving opportunity, which I was happy to do.

Then she was off to feed her kittens. But it was only a short time before she returned and guided me to her kittens.

It appears that she has moved them from the burrow to out in our rock garden, just north of the patio. (confirmed the next day) And that's a quite long trip from the burrow location.

They were having a great time discovering the various openings between the large rocks that make up the rock garden. And there are lots of safty spots for them to hide under the rocks.

5-17-18

Today I set up the Dog Kennel as Orange&White suggested. I will be able to close the door from inside our house. Now it's a matter of when Little Yellow gets them to follow her around to the front porch.

Right now she continues to nurse them around the rock garden area. It appears as if she has been trying to coax them to follow her, but no luck yet.

Lots more rain today so the rock garden move is really serving them well since it has a lot of tunnels available between the large rocks, to offer escape from the rain.

And they are putting it to use, plus it is also a great play area for the babies.

Hopefully sometime soon mama will get them to follow her to the porch to try some soft cat food.

I'm assuming that at some point Little Yellow will quit nursing them. And then maby they will follow her??

Any comments would be appreciated!

Regards,
George&Sheila