Our "little Yellow" Very Young Mother Cat

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
You are very welcome, and it looks to me as though you have got it under control - good for you!!
Rather than replying to each poster, maybe just give us one, like you did just above, that would be perfect.

Do you have anyone who can help you set a trap and dig out those kittens?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Buy or rent a humane trap and trap the mom. Then go and rescue the kittens. You will have to bring them inside and put them into a separate room until kittens and mom will be spayed and neutered (about 8 weeks). Then you can find them and the mom homes.

I say you should rescue them now because there are many dangers outside including weather, wild animals, and disease.
thanks tor the help

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Below my reply here you will see "Flag" on the left, and on the right you see "Purraise" "+Quote" and "Reply".

(If you want to reply to someone specifically, you can use that "Reply" button. It will copy that person's post into your reply box at the bottom.)

Ok, below that on the left you see "Go to the First Unread" or you see navigation to change which page you're on in blocks.

Below that you see the picture-drawing of the cat, which is your avatar (mine too). There is an open box there which says, "Type Your Reply". Put your cursor in that box and start typing, then hit "Post Reply".

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like you figured it out while I was typing. :thumbsup:

Good luck with Little Yellow. Bless you for trying to help her and the babies.

I would set up a little area for her and get her and the babies inside until she is finished nursing. Meanwhile you can socialize the kittens so they can find good permanent homes.

You might want to see if there is a feral rescue in your area. Your community shelters would know.

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you and your wife are the perfect family to help out Little Yellow and her brood! Even if the kittens learn to walk the 150 feet to the feeding station, it is very dangerous on a daily basis for them outside. They're still young enough that they can be socialized and adopted or re-homed at this point. It all depends on the level of investment you can contribute to rearing them. The fact that you're consistently feeding their mom, and keeping an ongoing log, means that you're probably pretty invested in what happens to them. I know that if you have any questions, the knowledgeable TCS members can help you out! Good luck!
You better believe we are totally invested in them. We will consider the advice we receive from everyone. Our main goal is to save all of them if possible.

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you and your wife are the perfect family to help out Little Yellow and her brood! Even if the kittens learn to walk the 150 feet to the feeding station, it is very dangerous on a daily basis for them outside. They're still young enough that they can be socialized and adopted or re-homed at this point. It all depends on the level of investment you can contribute to rearing them. The fact that you're consistently feeding their mom, and keeping an ongoing log, means that you're probably pretty invested in what happens to them. I know that if you have any questions, the knowledgeable TCS members can help you out! Good luck!
We are totally invested in hoping to be able to making our new family part of our life

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Buy or rent a humane trap and trap the mom. Then go and rescue the kittens. You will have to bring them inside and put them into a separate room until kittens and mom will be spayed and neutered (about 8 weeks). Then you can find them and the mom homes.

I say you should rescue them now because there are many dangers outside including weather, wild animals, and disease.
ok,will do

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One hundred precent!!

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi George, I think if you try just putting your cursor in the bottom open box where it says type your reply, and type, then click on post reply, that might work better for you.

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
problem is, I can't find that point to post a reply
Problem is, I can't find a point to respondL

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are very welcome, and it looks to me as though you have got it under control - good for you!!
Rather than replying to each poster, maybe just give us one, like you did just above, that would be perfect.

Do you have anyone who can help you set a trap and dig out those kittens?
No trap needed. Ican easily corralll her. She Let's me "love on her" with my hands. so it's easy to get her into a cat carrier to move her into our garage, then add her offspring.

I can do that all on my own since I currently know where their burrow is. Problem is, I'm concerned with, that will happen when I start dismateling their current home Is that they will scatter. ????? And then being long lost to me because they can hide.

;I just know I want to save them all if possible, even tho this web site is so convluted to me that I can't believe how to use it correctlyl But I sure really appreciate all your replys, even tho I can't handle sending a thank you note to you due to the complexity of doing so, please understand I REALLY appreciate all your information.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe you could get someone to help you get the kittens so none of them run away. Or create barriers around their burrow to stop them from escaping. Since they are so young I doubt they will get very far anyway.

Don’t worry about navigating the site. You are doing just fine!

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It took me a while to figure out the format here, too! Don't worry. We all understand. And we all care about cats, just like you, so we know that is the main thing bringing us together. Not age, location, nor computer literacy matters!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, George - you're doing fantastically on this website!!
At four weeks or even five weeks old, you're of course correct that they will be able to get around, but perhaps someone to help you and a barrier around their brushy home should help, the sooner the better.
Even cardboard, as long as there aren't any gaps, should do the job of keeping them contained enough that you can capture them. Good luck!!

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To everyone that has given me valuable information, THANK YOU. It's been a great help!
Sorry that I've been having so much trouble using this site. But it is too advanced for this ole man to put it to use correctly. I'll give it my best shot to make things give yor feedback with my for rescue attempt for a cat and family

I'll be checking this evening

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At 4 weeks old it should be easy to catch the kittens. Please update us soon.

No need to quote everyone’s posts - just type your posts in the box. :)

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Sarthur2
I'm very concerned about trying to remove them from their burrow because I can't determine if there is an exit hole along with the entrance I can see.
I don't want to scare then into hiding too well within the burrow, then I can't find them. And I don't have a clue as to how many are in the burrow. I've only been able to see one kitten so far.

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is an update to everyone that have kindly taken the time to teach me how I may be able to rescue "Little Yellow's" babies.
I've studied the yard trash pile where her burrow is located. Problem is, the trash pile is quite large. But it is possible to enclose the area with chicken wire .

#1 The opening size of her burrow is around 8 or 10 inches in diameter. I don't have a clue as to how far the burrow extends. It's possible it could be as much as three to five feet or more before it would open up outside of the burrow. Or the burrow could branch off in other directions. Very complicated situation.

#2 I have only seen "little Yellow" with one of her siblings on two occasions.
I have no clue as to how many babies are in the burrow. I'm afraid to spend too much time close enough to see what's happening in such a small opening. But I have seen her grooming one of her babies. I fear that she may move them if I spend too much time close by.

#3 I'm very concerned about how to proceed with the rescue due to all the above notes. I'm scared to death that I may make a bad move and lose a baby due to he/she getting trapped in the pile and me not being able to find him/her soon enough to save them.

#4 And I'm concerned how much time I would have to do the rescue after I have moved "Little Yellow" to our garage. One day maybe?

#5 Or should I leave them alone for now and wait until "Little Yellow" leads
some of them out to explore their surroundings. Then rescuing them at that point in time. I fully understand the dangers they face the longer they are not in a safe place.

I want to make good things happen for Little Yellow and her babies. So any help you can supply me with based on my above comments, please post them for me.

Love story between myself and Little Yellow. This bond has been growing from day one, back when she showed up in March.
Just now, while I was finishing up this post I realized it was time to call "Little Yellow" for dinner. And she responded withing about 5/10 minutes. She has been responding to my morning and evening calls now for many days. There is no question there is a bond between myself and her. And it is growing!
Most morning's she is in her standby mode waiting for when I come out to feed her.
Lots of days she makes as many as 4 times a day to our porch, where her food is always available.

More discovery's were made when she showed up for dinner. After she ate, we had a "love session" when she allows me to stroke her belly, as she does quite regularly. But this one told me a story - at least I think it did.
Here's what happened: As I sroked her belly it was very obvious that three of her breasts were being used on a regular basis. Her other breasts were semi hidden in her coat, but those other three were being used to the max.

Here's my question: Would this indicate that she has three kittens currently feeding with her? It's only a guess on my part, as I've never been involved with a female cat with kittens.
Any comments on if I'm guessing correctly for the number of kittens currently with her?

I just hope somehow I can save her babies! I LOVE "Little Yellow" to the max, and I'm hoping I can love her babies too!
When it comes to cats and kittens I'm a real softy! Never seen a cat I couldn't love'''''
I'll keep everyone posted as things progress. Thanks for all your help
Regards,
George T

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it sounds like she likely has 3 babies. She needs all the food she is getting from you in order to nurse her babies.

From your description of the brush pile (difficult to get into), it would be best if you wait for mama to bring her babies out.

I would not recommend putting mama in the garage at all without her babies.