Our "little Yellow" Very Young Mother Cat

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi to everyone,
I'm new to this Forum and I am in the need of those with more experience than I have.
Here's the problem in as brief a writing as I can make it and yet cover all my questions.

Back in middle March a very young pregnant Kitty Cat showed up on our property. It was obvious she needed food and water. So we began helping her out. At that point we had no idea she was pregnant.
She is not a feral cat. I'm guessing that someone just dropped her off. But she was so afraid of us there was no chance to catcher her at that point in time.

Over a period of time feeding her daily, she began to trust me. She's now trustful enough to let me touch her during her feeding. Problem is, before she got comfortable with me she had here babies outdoors. So no chance to rescue her and her babies into our home.
I know exactly where her burrow is and have even been able to see one of her kittens from a distance.

She is now almost four weeks since she had her babies (Apr 7) And I don't know what to do next. At this point I could rescue her to the safety of our home, but I don't have a clue to understand if I have any chance of rescuing her offspring and taking them too her. And I would be devastated not to be able to rescue them .

The burrow is in a brush pile of small to medium limbs. And so far it has survived some serious rains successfully and "Little Yellow" has not moved them.
Little Yellow has reliably shown up every morning and evening, sometimes more than once for food and water.

But I know from reading about babies and when they get restless and also start thinking about exploring their burrow, and thinking about water and cat food, non of which is available in their burrow, only at our front doorstep. And that is a long distance from their burrow. Around 150 feet.

Is there any chance that they can survive until they are able to follow their mother to our feeding point?

We are cat lovers and have 7 indoor cats now. But we have never had the chance to nurse baby cats even tho we have had many cat's over the years. All the cats we have had were stray's that adopted us.

Any advice anyone can give to help me, and my wife, to save "Little Yellow" and her babies would be greatly appreciated!
George
PS:
I've added this note that I wrote this morning in my ongoing log for "Little Yellow".

4/29/18

Little Yellow is still getting along fine. Showing up for food and water more often at this point in time.

After reading "Kitten milestones at a glance" I've become concerned about how they become adventuresome, meaning moving around and investigating their environment.

I plan to have another chat with God about how to proceed. The milestones mentioned cover kittens that are in a home, not on their own outside. So that may force some changes in my thinking.

I was thinking that when it was time, the babies would follow Mother to her feeding location. But the milestones mentioned indicated I have decisions to make soon!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Even though she isn't strictly a feral cat, many feral methods apply. They can probably survive until later, but if you're going to bring her inside, I personally think the sooner the better. Trap her, wash your hands, then scramble into that brush pile and start scooping up kittens.

I don't know if there's anything in these articles that will help you or not...
A Feral Cat Or A Stray Cat? How To Tell The Difference
Saving Feral Cats
Handling Feral Cats
Are You An Expert On Newborn Kitten Rescue?
I Found Abandoned Kittens - What Should I Do?
Hand Rearing Kittens: What You Need To Know To Save A Newborn's Life

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Buy or rent a humane trap and trap the mom. Then go and rescue the kittens. You will have to bring them inside and put them into a separate room until kittens and mom will be spayed and neutered (about 8 weeks). Then you can find them and the mom homes.

I say you should rescue them now because there are many dangers outside including weather, wild animals, and disease.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you and your wife are the perfect family to help out Little Yellow and her brood! Even if the kittens learn to walk the 150 feet to the feeding station, it is very dangerous on a daily basis for them outside. They're still young enough that they can be socialized and adopted or re-homed at this point. It all depends on the level of investment you can contribute to rearing them. The fact that you're consistently feeding their mom, and keeping an ongoing log, means that you're probably pretty invested in what happens to them. I know that if you have any questions, the knowledgeable TCS members can help you out! Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi to everyone,
I'm new to this Forum and I am in the need of those with more experience than I have.
Here's the problem in as brief a writing as I can make it and yet cover all my questions.

Back in middle March a very young pregnant Kitty Cat showed up on our property. It was obvious she needed food and water. So we began helping her out. At that point we had no idea she was pregnant.
She is not a feral cat. I'm guessing that someone just dropped her off. But she was so afraid of us there was no chance to catcher her at that point in time.

Over a period of time feeding her daily, she began to trust me. She's now trustful enough to let me touch her during her feeding. Problem is, before she got comfortable with me she had here babies outdoors. So no chance to rescue her and her babies into our home.
I know exactly where her burrow is and have even been able to see one of her kittens from a distance.

She is now almost four weeks since she had her babies (Apr 7) And I don't know what to do next. At this point I could rescue her to the safety of our home, but I don't have a clue to understand if I have any chance of rescuing her offspring and taking them too her. And I would be devastated not to be able to rescue them .

The burrow is in a brush pile of small to medium limbs. And so far it has survived some serious rains successfully and "Little Yellow" has not moved them.
Little Yellow has reliably shown up every morning and evening, sometimes more than once for food and water.

But I know from reading about babies and when they get restless and also start thinking about exploring their burrow, and thinking about water and cat food, non of which is available in their burrow, only at our front doorstep. And that is a long distance from their burrow. Around 150 feet.

Is there any chance that they can survive until they are able to follow their mother to our feeding point?

We are cat lovers and have 7 indoor cats now. But we have never had the chance to nurse baby cats even tho we have had many cat's over the years. All the cats we have had were stray's that adopted us.

Any advice anyone can give to help me, and my wife, to save "Little Yellow" and her babies would be greatly appreciated!
George
PS:
I've added this note that I wrote this morning in my ongoing log for "Little Yellow".

4/29/18

Little Yellow is still getting along fine. Showing up for food and water more often at this point in time.

After reading "Kitten milestones at a glance" I've become concerned about how they become adventuresome, meaning moving around and investigating their environment.

I plan to have another chat with God about how to proceed. The milestones mentioned cover kittens that are in a home, not on their own outside. So that may force some changes in my thinking.

I was thinking that when it was time, the babies would follow Mother to her feeding location. But the milestones mentioned indicated I have decisions to make soon!!

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi to everyone,

George
PS:

4/29/18

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. I'm looking at other replay's I've received. Hopefully all the reply's I receive will help make my decision about how to proceed more complete.

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Even though she isn't strictly a feral cat, many feral methods apply. They can probably survive until later, but if you're going to bring her inside, I personally think the sooner the better. Trap her, wash your hands, then scramble into that brush pile and start scooping up kittens.

Saving Feral Cats
Handling Feral Cats

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm overwhelmed with the reply's so far. A big help, but I'm outa my league trying to use this correctly. I'm doing the best I can; without being really computer literate.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You're doing just fine - some of us still get whacked by the 'puter gremlins, trust me ;)

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If this helps, press “Reply” to respond to a specific message and type your response after the [/QUOTE] in the same box. Don’t worry, it took me awhile to figure it out!

If you don’t want to respond to a specific message or include a quote, simply go to the reply box at the bottom of the screen/page and write your message.

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Saving Feral Cats
Handling Feral Cats
Hi to everyone,

George
PS:

4/29/18

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi to everyone,

George
PS:

4/29/18

Saving Feral Cats
Handling Feral Cats

Saving Feral Cats
Handling Feral Cats

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi George, I think if you try just putting your cursor in the bottom open box where it says type your reply, and type, then click on post reply, that might work better for you.

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry guys. I've received a number of suggestions but I just can not figure out how to reply to each poster.
I'm 80 years old and struggling to join the modern wesites.

In most of the contacts I'm looking at when I try to post a reply I don't see a place to post the reply.

I just want to be able to rescue a kitty cat and her siblings. But this reply mode does not seem to offer a place to reply in most cases.

Bottom line, I'm reading all your commenmts. But I have no clue as to how to send a reply reliably.
please keep send info that may help, but forgive me for not responding because I don't have a clue as to do so, other than this response, which happened , I guess, as an accident.
Please keep in mind my only interest is in trying to receive guidence to save my "Little yellow" kitty and her family.

Saving Feral Cats
Handling Feral Cats
If this helps, press “Reply” to respond to a specific message and type your response after the
in the same box. Don’t worry, it took me awhile to figure it out!

If you don’t want to respond to a specific message or include a quote, simply go to the reply box at the bottom of the screen/page and write your message.[/QUOTE]
Hi to everyone,

George
PS:

4/29/18

Saving Feral Cats
Handling Feral Cats
Hi to everyone,

George
PS:

4/29/18

Here is my reply- HELP
Hi to everyone,

George
PS:

4/29/18

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry guys. I've received a number of suggestions but I just can not figure out how to reply to each poster.
I'm 80 years old and struggling to join the modern wesites.

In most of the contacts I'm looking at when I try to post a reply I don't see a place to post the reply.

I just want to be able to rescue a kitty cat and her siblings. But this reply mode does not seem to offer a place to reply in most cases.

Bottom line, I'm reading all your commenmts. But I have no clue as to how to send a reply reliably.
please keep send info that may help, but forgive me for not responding because I don't have a clue as to do so, other than this response, which happened , I guess, as an accident.
Please keep in mind my only interest is in trying to receive guidence to save my "Little yellow" kitty and her family.

in the same box. Don’t worry, it took me awhile to figure it out!

If you don’t want to respond to a specific message or include a quote, simply go to the reply box at the bottom of the screen/page and write your message.

Here is my reply- HELP[/QUOTE]
Hi to everyone,

George
PS:

4/29/18

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks for the info. And forgive me for my lack of knowledge about how to reply.
I've never seen this layout to make a reply so I'm lost in space!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Saving Feral Cats
Handling Feral Cats
Thanks for the help

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Saving Feral Cats
Handling Feral Cats
thanks for the reply. I'm reading a lot more comments. Hopefully they will make a difference to help me save Little Yellow and her babies.

George T

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Saving Feral Cats
Handling Feral Cats
Thanks for the note