Ouch!! Switching to all wet food could cost me at least $100/month

mysticdragon72

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As confirmed by Instinct this morning, they have tweaked the formula and the chicken cat and dog are now the same. Cans with a Use By date of 3/15/18 or later is the newer formula. I hope this helps to clarify.
Is the Instinct food all pate?  Only reason I ask is I tried the duck tonight and it was a fail for two of my three kittens and only a so-so for the third... the two old cats love it... just like all canned LOL

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As confirmed by Instinct this morning, they have tweaked the formula and the chicken cat and dog are now the same. Cans with a Use By date of 3/15/18 or later is the newer formula. I hope this helps to clarify.
The Instinct canned formulas have always been the same for both cats and dogs. When NV changed the labels for the Instinct cans, the formula also changed. What you compared in the store was a newer labeled / formula against an older labeled formula, hence the inconsistency.

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bud only eats pate. I don't know why. Clearly, he likes the texture, but if there's a "cuts" or strips version of the same brand and same flavor, he won't eat it. I do have to be careful to check that I'm buying pate versions of the stuff he likes, otherwise it's a waste.

I recently tried the perfect portions version of Nutro, which is one of the high-end brands, to kind of cleanse Bud's palate after he had a stretch in which he wasn't eating wet food. He likes Nutro, for sure, but it's too expensive to feed him regularly, so I'm going to mix in different brands and flavors every few meals, so he doesn't get tired of his main wet food. (Sheba)

As for dry, I usually get those big Blue Buffalo Wilderness bags, the chicken flavor in the shiny blue bag. He likes those, and those bags last a long time...now that I'm using a separate bowl for wet and dry, and not wasting dry food that got mushed in with the wet, they last even longer.

mingking

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Bud only eats pate. I don't know why. Clearly, he likes the texture, but if there's a "cuts" or strips version of the same brand and same flavor, he won't eat it. I do have to be careful to check that I'm buying pate versions of the stuff he likes, otherwise it's a waste.
I feel like the cuts version of Sheba and sometimes even Fancy Feast feel different and are "harder" and waxier looking and feeling than the pates... not the best way to describe it!

My cat doesn't like the cuts version of Sheba and doesn't finish the slices version of FF. But he's fine with chunky FF since it's pretty much pate anyway. 

jelly-beans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Someone may have mentioned already but Amazon is great with most pet food.
We buy 9 cases of Nature's Variety Instinct (12 cans each) a month. Along with several bags of freeze dried raw.
I was buying at petsmart and petco before which was $29-$26 a case NOT including tax. At amazon we pay $20-$22 a case and Amazon doesn't charge tax. It adds up quickly. Their delivery is speedy and they have replaced whole cases of cat food for free before because of 1 dented can in the bunch.