Ouch!! Switching to all wet food could cost me at least $100/month

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I was reading the holiday issue of Catster and there was an ad for TSC that mentions an online printable coupon of $5 off a $25 purchase of dog food, cat food, treats and supplies so I looked it up. Here's the link to the coupon:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/static/sites/TSC/downloads/coupons/20150812catster.pdf

It's good until 4/30/16 so if you shop there for cat food frequently, I'd bookmark that page as you can probably use it multiple times.
Thanks Kat! I buy a lot of 4Health turkey and giblets, so that's an awesome deal! 

nolsen120

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ralphscats,
Are you sure that the Nature's Variety Instinct Canned Dog is the same as the canned cat.? I have compared the ingredients and they are slightly different. My 8 year old ASH does great on the Instinct canned but it is very expensive and being able to use the larger cans of the Dog would certainly be less expensive. I just need to be careful that it is safe to do so. Getting to this point in finding food that he does well on has been a long and costly road so I do not want to jeopardize his health.

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ralphscats,
Are you sure that the Nature's Variety Instinct Canned Dog is the same as the canned cat.? I have compared the ingredients and they are slightly different. My 8 year old ASH does great on the Instinct canned but it is very expensive and being able to use the larger cans of the Dog would certainly be less expensive. I just need to be careful that it is safe to do so. Getting to this point in finding food that he does well on has been a long and costly road so I do not want to jeopardize his health.
Does the dog food variety even have taurine in it?
Here's my thread that I recently posted on this:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/311092/nvi-chicken-dog-food

nolsen120

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, it does have taurine in it, that was one of the few ingredients I knew to look for. Are there any other key supplements in the ingredient list I should be looking for that would make the dog food not a healthy choice?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, it does have taurine in it, that was one of the few ingredients I knew to look for. Are there any other key supplements in the ingredient list I should be looking for that would make the dog food not a healthy choice?
If I remember correctly, I seem to recall that there's a thread on this site where a member stated that they called NVI and were told that the foods were indeed identical. I think that it might depend on who you get on the phone because some of them might not want you to do that not for health reasons but because it would cut into their profits for cat food. You can always contact them and see what they say if you're concerned.

http://www.naturesvariety.com/contactus

You can also sign up for coupons

http://www.naturesvariety.com/tryit

nolsen120

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much. I did go to Petco today and compared the chicken for cats and for dogs and they are slightly different. I asked someone at Petco and they emphatically stated that they are different and the NVI for dogs should not be fed to cats but I think I will contact the xompany and see what they say. After reading all the info here I am pretty confident that it is okay and definitely less expensive! Thanks again!

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Dang, only the duck formula is low enough in phosphorus for me to get, and that's only for the short-term. I'm aiming for lower than that after the kittens grow up. So bummed!

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much. I did go to Petco today and compared the chicken for cats and for dogs and they are slightly different. I asked someone at Petco and they emphatically stated that they are different and the NVI for dogs should not be fed to cats but I think I will contact the xompany and see what they say. After reading all the info here I am pretty confident that it is okay and definitely less expensive! Thanks again!
Let me chime in here to clarify:  NV Instinct *canned* foods are the same for dogs and cats; dry kibble is *not* the same, Instinct raw also is *not* the same. Pride canned is only for cats; Prairie canned and kibble are only for dogs.  Instinct raw boost mixers are the same for cats / dogs; NVI Freeze dried meal & mixers are also the same for dogs / cats.

A comparison of NVI chicken canned food / feline:

Chicken, Turkey, Chicken Liver, Chicken Broth, Ground Flaxseed, Montmorillonite Clay, Eggs, Peas, Carrots, Lecithin, Dried Kelp, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Proteinate, Potassium Iodide), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid), Taurine, Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Artichokes, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Tomato, Blueberries, Broccoli, Cabbage, Kale, Parsley

NVI chicken canned food / canine:

Chicken, Turkey, Chicken Liver, Chicken Broth, Ground Flaxseed, Montmorillonite Clay, Eggs, Peas, Carrots, Lecithin, Dried Kelp, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Proteinate, Potassium Iodide), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid), Taurine, Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Artichokes, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Tomato, Blueberries, Broccoli, Cabbage, Kale, Parsley

I'm not sure which canned chicken products you were comparing for dogs and cats unless NVI has changed their canned formula and hasn't updated the web site, I have not heard of any changes, as of yet.

Last edited:

nolsen120

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I picked up a can of the NVI canned food canine chicken formula yesterday at Petco to compare the ingredients. The expiration date on the can is 3/2/18 so it is not an old can. There are some differences and I am not sure if they are significant or not and I am trying to determine the safety of feeding this to my cat. The ingredient list for the can I purchased yesterday is:

Chicken, turkey, chicken broth, chicken liver, ground flaxseeds, montmorillonite clay, eggs, peas, carrots, lecithin, vitamins ( choline cholride, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, vitamin e supplement, niacin supplement, vitamin b12 supplement, vitamin A supplement, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, riboflavin supplement,
d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid) dried kelp, potassium chloride, tricalcium phosphate, salt, taurine,
minerals ( zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, sodium selenite, ethylenediamine dihydriodide ) artichokes, cranberries, pumpkin, tomato, blueberries, broccoli, cabbage, kale, parsley.

The differences I see are:
Cat food has potassium iodide Dog has potassium chloride
Dog has tricalcium phosphate Cat does not
Cat has cobalt proteinate Dog does not
Dog has ethylenediamine dihydriodide Cat does not

Are any of these differences significant and do they make this food unsafe for cats?

Also there are differences in the Guaranteed Analysis:
Feline: Canine
crude protein ( min ) 10%. 11%
crude fat ( min ) 6.5%. 8%
crude fiber ( max ) 3%. 3%
moisture ( max ) 78%. 75%
omega 6 fatty acids (min) 1%. 1%
omega 3 fatty acids ( min ) .20% .2%
Not listed under guaranteed analysis. Calcium ( min ) .25%
" Phosphorous ( min ) .20%
" Vitamin E ( min ) 25 iu/ kg
" Ascorbic Acid ( vit c ) ( min ) 30 mg/kg

Does anyone see any red flags in the differences between the dog and cat NVI canned chicken formula?
Again, thanks for your help!

ralphscats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ralphscats,
Sorry that I have not been in here for a few days.
I was told by NV that the canned Instinct recipes were the same. I did just get a case of dog Instinct shipped to me today and I noticed that the label is different from what it used to be. I haven't compared ingredients yet to see if there is a difference there. I got a case of salmon.
The raw Instinct used to be just one product and it could be fed to dogs or cats. NV changed that probably around a year ago if I remember correctly. I was not aware of any changes they were going to make to their dog or cat canned Instinct. I will call the company Monday and check with them again.
I have checked with other companies on feeding the dog food to cats. Some will say yes but you can't do it all the time, and some will say you can do it as long as you don't do it all the time, and even though they can't say what soecific nutrients are different, I've noticed it's the taurine. Granted these are premium, grain free foods that I checked into, so that could make a difference.
I agree that it may friend on who you talk to at the company. The manager at my local pet store called a company for me just a couple weeks ago to ask about this very thing. They said from a nutritionist point of view, it's ok to do it intermittently or add taurine, from a marketing reps point of view, they don't recommend it. This was not NV, it was anothe company.
My personal opinion is whole prey is the best. In the wild a kitten is going to eat the same rabbit that a dog would, they would just eat different amounts. There isn't a rabbit that is formulated for a cat, or three different rabbits formulated on what size breed dog you have.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry that I have not been in here for a few days.
I was told by NV that the canned Instinct recipes were the same. I did just get a case of dog Instinct shipped to me today and I noticed that the label is different from what it used to be. I haven't compared ingredients yet to see if there is a difference there. I got a case of salmon.
The raw Instinct used to be just one product and it could be fed to dogs or cats. NV changed that probably around a year ago if I remember correctly. I was not aware of any changes they were going to make to their dog or cat canned Instinct. I will call the company Monday and check with them again.
I have checked with other companies on feeding the dog food to cats. Some will say yes but you can't do it all the time, and some will say you can do it as long as you don't do it all the time, and even though they can't say what soecific nutrients are different, I've noticed it's the taurine. Granted these are premium, grain free foods that I checked into, so that could make a difference.
I agree that it may friend on who you talk to at the company. The manager at my local pet store called a company for me just a couple weeks ago to ask about this very thing. They said from a nutritionist point of view, it's ok to do it intermittently or add taurine, from a marketing reps point of view, they don't recommend it. This was not NV, it was anothe company.
My personal opinion is whole prey is the best. In the wild a kitten is going to eat the same rabbit that a dog would, they would just eat different amounts. There isn't a rabbit that is formulated for a cat, or three different rabbits formulated on what size breed dog you have.
The NVI labels on the canned food changed at least six months ago. Some online retailers and / or indy retailers may be getting the newer labeled products in later than other stores. Petco, for e.g., has had the newer labeled products since last summer, (or at least the Petco's in NYC). It depends on how quickly the food turns over.

Regardless, the newer labeled products, for the canned food, are still appropriate for dogs and cats.

The only difference I have noticed between the older and newer labeled canned products is that the newer ones either have more moisture and / or fat, they are not as dry as what I remember from the old labeled cans (which my cats didn't care for much).

Anyone who has any concerns can visit NV Insticnt's web site, open tabs for both dog / cat canned Instinct products and compare the ingredients.

I realize it's all a bit confusing.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I picked up a can of the NVI canned food canine chicken formula yesterday at Petco to compare the ingredients. The expiration date on the can is 3/2/18 so it is not an old can. There are some differences and I am not sure if they are significant or not and I am trying to determine the safety of feeding this to my cat. The ingredient list for the can I purchased yesterday is:

Chicken, turkey, chicken broth, chicken liver, ground flaxseeds, montmorillonite clay, eggs, peas, carrots, lecithin, vitamins ( choline cholride, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, vitamin e supplement, niacin supplement, vitamin b12 supplement, vitamin A supplement, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, riboflavin supplement,
d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid) dried kelp, potassium chloride, tricalcium phosphate, salt, taurine,
minerals ( zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, sodium selenite, ethylenediamine dihydriodide ) artichokes, cranberries, pumpkin, tomato, blueberries, broccoli, cabbage, kale, parsley.

Are any of these differences significant and do they make this food unsafe for cats?

Does anyone see any red flags in the differences between the dog and cat NVI canned chicken formula?
Again, thanks for your help!
Okay, actually this is really good that you posted this info bc I can see from your ingredient list for Instinct's canned chicken that it is different from the one on their website, which I forgot to link last night btw, and now I'm on a cell.

We will get to the bottom of this, thanks for posting the info, it is quite possible the formulas have changed and the website not updated.

Last edited:

ralphscats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The NVI labels on the canned food changed at least six months ago. Some online retailers and / or indy retailers may be getting the newer labeled products in later than other stores. Petco, for e.g., has had the newer labeled products since last summer, (or at least the Petco's in NYC). It depends on how quickly the food turns over.

Regardless, the newer labeled products, for the canned food, are still appropriate for dogs and cats.

The only difference I have noticed between the older and newer labeled canned products is that the newer ones either have more moisture and / or fat, they are not as dry as what I remember from the old labeled cans (which my cats didn't care for much).

Anyone who has any concerns can visit NV Insticnt's web site, open tabs for both dog / cat canned Instinct products and compare the ingredients.

I realize it's all a bit confusing.
Wow, I didn't know they changed that long ago. I had quite a supply and just now got a case with the new label. I haven't been going through it like I used to because I took in a FIV kitten who refuses to eat canned and will only eat raw, but that's a whole other story.
I do rotate a lot of food so if there is a deficiency in one, hopefully it will not be so bad as it would be if it was the only food I fed exclusively. I also rotate in case there is a recall or shortage, then I can still fed the cats and won't be dealing with cats who won't eat a new food.
Thanks for the info about the moisture and fat content. Some of the foods were very dry, like the lamb.
I'm anxious to find out what NV has to say tomorrow!

ralphscats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I called Nature's Variety this morning. The rep that I spoke to, Ronnie, said you can interchange the original Instinct canned dog and cat food. She said you cannot feed Instinct Pride canned cat food to a dog.
Has anyone else called and were you told the same thing or something different?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I called Nature's Variety this morning. The rep that I spoke to, Ronnie, said you can interchange the original Instinct canned dog and cat food. She said you cannot feed Instinct Pride canned cat food to a dog.
Has anyone else called and were you told the same thing or something different?
Only the NV Instinct Original dog and cat canned foods are the same and can be fed interchangably, usually feeding the dog ones to the cat because the dog one comes in a larger can size. The other lines NV makes (Pride, LID, etc) do not use the same formulas so the dog food cannot be fed to a cat and vice versa.

This has been discussed on TCS before, most recently in this thread: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/311092/nvi-chicken-dog-food

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Only the NV Instinct Original dog and cat canned foods are the same and can be fed interchangably, usually feeding the dog ones to the cat because the dog one comes in a larger can size. The other lines NV makes (Pride, LID, etc) do not use the same formulas so the dog food cannot be fed to a cat and vice versa.

This has been discussed on TCS before, most recently in this thread: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/311092/nvi-chicken-dog-food
Yes, this is what I've always noticed comparing the Instinct canned dog / cat formulas in the stores - the ingredients have always been the same (and on the web site as well), however, nolsen120 noticed a difference b/t the ingredients, as listed a few posts above. (How do I link a TCS's member's name, btw?)

This is what Nolsen120 posted 2 days ago, noting a difference b/t the Instinct canned chicken / dog that she purchased compared with the cat.  The guaranteed analysis % Nolsen120 lists for feline / chicken also are the same that are posted on Instinct's web site:

Hi,

And this is what is on Instinct's web site for canned chicken /  dog:

http://www.instinctpetfood.com/product/instinct-grain-free-canned-dog-food-chicken

Instinct canned chicken / cat:

http://www.instinctpetfood.com/product/instinct-grain-free-canned-cat-food-chicken

The guaranteed analysis numbers that Nolsen120 lists for feline are the same on Instinct's site for both cat / dog, not the new percentages that Nolsen120 lists for canine, e.g., 11% protein vs 10% for both cat / dog.

And finally, the LID canned formulas have also always been the same for dog / cat, unless that has changed as well.

Last edited:

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay -  I think I know what happened now - Nolsen120 picked up a can of Instinct chicken dog with the older label (it doesn't matter that it's expiring in March 2018).  The older Instinct formulas had higher protein (different GA) for both cat / dog, as well as other nutrients but were still the same for both.

When Instinct changed to the new labels, they tweaked their formulas a bit - that's all. Nolsen120 was comparing an older labeled / different formula chicken / dog can with the newer labeled / different formula / cat.

Very confusing - but resolved. :)

Last edited:

nolsen120

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As confirmed by Instinct this morning, they have tweaked the formula and the chicken cat and dog are now the same. Cans with a Use By date of 3/15/18 or later is the newer formula. I hope this helps to clarify.